Formula / colostrum question

Forum: 2011 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2011 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
April 8th, 2011, 10:52 AM
Petuniababoon's Avatar Super Mommy
I'm planning to breastfeed, but a very good friend of mine is planning to formula feed. She has been reading up on the health benefits of colostrum to a newborn, particularly the immunological benefits. She wants to know if there are any good colostrum alternatives or supplements out there, or if she should try to breast feed for the first couple of days before switching to formula. I didnt know what to tell her. Are there any formula feeding moms out there who have advice I can give her?

Sara

April 8th, 2011, 11:04 AM
Platinum Supermommy
I am not a formula feeding mom but I can tell you that there is nothing out there like colostrum and if she wants her baby to get those health benefits, it would be best to BF the baby for at least the first 2 days.

April 8th, 2011, 11:10 AM
BlueEyes09's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I agree with the PP. I don't want to turn this into an anti-formula post, but she isn't going to find anything comparable to colostrum, or breast-milk. I think trying to BF for the first few days would be the best option, but I don't know her situation and I don't know if that is an option.

April 8th, 2011, 11:17 AM
jessicag's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Ok at the risk of making this all anti-formula. I think if she can and is ok with breastfeeding until her milk comes in (the time the baby will be reciving just colostrum) she should. Formula has come a long way in terms of benefits that are very very close to that of breastmilk, but at the end of the day, there are things that cant and have not been duplicated from breastmilk to formula.

Colostrum has so many beneficial 'ingrediants' in it that i would definatly recomend to your friend to use her own real colestrum. I am almost 100% positive there are no colostrum supplements, however if there are I can tell you that it in no way compares to what her colostrum will give the baby.

And who knows, maybe it will make her want to breastfeed from that moment on, but even if she does switch back to formula she would feel better knowing that her child gianed those oh so essential first meals. The benefits of colostrum are truly amazing.

*Also I just wanted to say I by no means look down on anyone for choosing formula over breastmilk, everyone is diffrent, hence everyones life requires diffrent choices.

Thanks so much to Jaidynsmum for my adorable siggy

10-30-12

Last edited by jessicag; April 8th, 2011 at 11:57 AM.
April 8th, 2011, 11:29 AM
Petuniababoon's Avatar Super Mommy
I don't want to make this an anti-formula feeding post either. My friend has very valid reasons for making this choice, and I have all the respect in the world for her.

Sara

April 8th, 2011, 11:34 AM
ashleyj88's Avatar Evelyn's Mommy
I'll be formula feeding and as far as I know and have been told by doctors, there is no colostrum substitute. If she can, it is definitely worth it to breastfeed for the first few days at least.

April 8th, 2011, 11:53 AM
AshMama2Ava's Avatar Super Mommy
Although there is no exact "copy" of breastmilk, as they do not know all the ingredients that are in, pretty much every formula out there is the same (not counting lactose free, soy options, low iron etc). Your basic formula is the same, and I have not seen anything anywhere about a supplement for colostrum.

That being said the ones with choline are the closest, since choline is one of the main nutrients in breast milk- essential for healthy brain development.

I would encourage here to try and breastfeed for at least the first couple of days (if it is possible), if she really wants all the benefits of colostrum.

My SIL breastfed for the first 3 months but unfortunately had to switch to formula (I say unfortunately because she wanted to continue breastfeeding, not as a form of judgement) and she tends to go with Nestle Good Start, but the different brands are pretty much the same when you actually look into it.

My big little monkey Ava.
April 8th, 2011, 01:11 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I agree with just BFing the first few days- Some moms really can't BF at all- and if that's her situation, then I am sure that the baby will be fine with formula. The main benefits of colostrum are that its so nutrient rich and helps to replace what the baby loses those first few days outside of you. Its also FULL of your antibodies that you have spent years making against diseases etc, so it protects baby from a lot of different illnesses for some time to come.
Formula is great, even if its not as "perfect" as Breastmilk. I highly recommend Nestle GoodStart too, or Enfamil - those are my favorites!
April 8th, 2011, 02:06 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I was a formula Feeding mom with DS, not by choice, but I did at least have a little colostrum built up at the beginning for him. If she can, let her get the baby to at least nurse for a day or two then switch him.
April 8th, 2011, 05:11 PM
Peace.Love.Pepsi's Avatar Just another mommy
If she cant bring herself to breastfeed she could pump the colostrum. I can hand express it right now lol.
But no there is no suppliment for it. If she can and is willing she should try
April 8th, 2011, 07:09 PM
richmond_girl's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to richmond_girl
Definitely BF for at least a couple of days if that's all she wants to do... that colostrum is liquid gold!

April 8th, 2011, 07:18 PM
Lotsakids's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I agree with the suggestions of breastfeeding for a couple of days if she is able to.

Mama to -
DD16, DD15, DD13, DS11, DS5, DD3, DD November 2013
April 8th, 2011, 07:41 PM
~mommy~'s Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Breast is best, even the formula companies agree. There is just no duplicate of what God, nature whatever your belief system created. That said, like pp said all the regular formulas are pretty much the same. I supplemented with some of my dc, they did better with Similac or I finally found one of the generics to be as well accepted by them I forget now if it was Target or Walmart. Good Start was good too. I found with my dc they seemed to have tummy troubles with Enfamil and the other generics.
If your friend wants her baby to have the benefits from colostrum she will just have to feed baby that, either by bottle or tap. Having done both myself I would highly recommend the tap, SO MUCH easier. Good luck to her whatever she decides.
April 8th, 2011, 09:24 PM
tyggrlili25's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to tyggrlili25 Send a message via Yahoo to tyggrlili25
I agree with the pp's. There is NO substitute for colostrum. I would recommend pumping or bfing the first 2-5 days until milk comes in if she wants the full benefits of colostrum!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search