Easy, Quick and Fun Chicken Pot Pie!

Forum: 2011 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2011 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
April 8th, 2011, 03:35 PM
Darisey's Avatar Super Mommy
It's impossible for me to follow recipes so my cooking style is just kind of throwing things together and hoping they come out okay

This one turned out really well! Even Layla loves it and just learned the word "pie" from it haha! Not the healthiest thing in the world (IMO) but it's good for when you are in a hurry and it's a great meal for kids to help out with.

What you will need:
2 small cans of ready to serve cream of mushroom soup (around 10 1/2oz)
1 package of frozen pie crusts
1 lb frozen mixed veggies (any kind you like - peas, carrots, and potatoes are good in the pie)
1 whole cooked roaster chicken (most grocery stores sell them but you can substitute it with a frozen chicken breast or two after you cook them)

To get started:
Take the pie crusts out to defrost.
Set oven to 375
Put the whole bag of veggies into a saucepan with about an inch of water, spread them out so they steam pretty evenly and turn the stove on "high". Let them steam until the water runs out so you wont have to drain them.
While the veggies are steaming, you can start cutting the chicken up into little chunks and throw them in a mixing bowl with both cans of cream of mushroom soup. Once the veggies are done, you can mix them in as well. That's it for the filling!

Now onto the pie crusts:
Unroll one of the pie crusts and fit it in your pie pan. It's okay if it tears a little; it's like playdough so it's easy to fix. You can fold the edges of the crust into itself if they hang over the edge of the pan. Make sure you gently push the crust down on the bottom and sides of the pan so that it's molded to the pan.
Layla had fun with this part! - Poke TONS of holes randomly all over the bottom and sides of the pie crust with a fork so that air pockets wont make the crust rise and lose it's shape. When you're done, pour in the filling, and put the second pie crust over the whole thing, folding the edges of the top crust into the edges of the bottom crust all around.
Now use the flat side of the fork prongs to push down on the edges and "seal" the top and bottom crust together all around. Also poke holes in the top of the pie so that the filling doesn't bubble out and start dripping. You will be able to see what I mean in the picture.
You can put the pie on a cookie sheet for drip protection if you want.
Since everything is precooked except the crust, you don't really have to worry about how long you cook it. The pie crust box should tell you how long the crust needs to cook for. I have no clue how long mine cooked for but I kept checking it until it was golden brown and made the house smell yummy

Thank you, Cavewoman for my lovely siggy!

(Click on each blinkie for more info)

April 8th, 2011, 03:59 PM
aka Steph
Sounds delicious! I wish DH liked pot pies, they are my number 1 comfort food when I'm feeling yucky. Warm and soupish but hearty.

Wifey to Adam. Mama to Danica, Liam and Stepmama to Lilith

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search