Do you think the Old Wives Tales are true?

Forum: 2011 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2011 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
April 8th, 2011, 06:51 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Like, if you have heartburn the baby will be born with a head full of hair? Or if you crave fruit, it's gonna be a girl. What are your thoughts?
April 8th, 2011, 07:29 PM
Lotsakids's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
The heartburn one in my opinion is a total falacy. I have had heartburn with each pregnancy. With some of them to the point it was absolutely cruel, (one pregnancy I threw up on my keyboard because of the reflux, & another I bent down & vomited on the floor because of it.) But it had nothing to do with the hair on the baby's head.

My children have come out -

1. Heaps of hair
2. Almost bald
3. Almost blad
4. Heaps of hair
5. Somewhere in between

Some of the ones relating to gender have been right for me, but others not so much.

I really do think with most of them it is genuinely 50/50, so someone is going to 'swear' that it's true because it worked for them, but there was always a 50% chance that it would

Mama to -
DD16, DD15, DD13, DS11, DS5, DD3, DD November 2013
April 8th, 2011, 07:47 PM
angelsailor288's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
No

Thank you jaidynsmum for my siggy!

April 8th, 2011, 07:55 PM
jessicag's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
which ones? all of them change from site to site

I remember that specifically because when I despretly wanted to believe Orion was Alice, I would actually leave the websites that pointed towards boy and go to the ones that said a of the same stuff but opposite for girls. lol.

That being said, no I dont think they are real. They are fun in the beginning but I dont think they reaaally hold any grounds.

But for the heartburn one, I actually read an article (that i believe was posted on here....) that said they believe there to be a small connection between hair growth and heartburn, something to do with the hormone tht is produced while the baby is growing hair being an irritant to your esophogaus or something to that nature. But in the end all of it is probbaly just as good as anything else, a nice 50/50 shot

Thanks so much to Jaidynsmum for my adorable siggy

10-30-12

April 8th, 2011, 08:01 PM
PennyLane1121's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
For me they have been true.

With Fox I craved meat and cheese. Couldn't eat the crust of the bread, didn't have much heartburn (he was nearly bald), carried low. All that jazz. He was a boy.

This one Ive craved fruit, sweets, and salads. I am carrying higher, much more emotional, didn't have much morning sickness. I'll see when she's born if there is much hair. Heartburn hasn't been bad. Not really bad at all.

April 8th, 2011, 09:07 PM
tyggrlili25's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to tyggrlili25 Send a message via Yahoo to tyggrlili25
lol nope I don't believe a lick of em at all!
I havnt had bad heart burn with either dd#1 or this pregnancy. Kaylee was born with a TON of hair so that didnt ring true for me:-)

April 8th, 2011, 09:27 PM
Peace.Love.Pepsi's Avatar Just another mommy
no not really. Im not THAT emotional and i hear you are more emotional with girls? I think its because i surpress alot. If i feel like im gonna cry i dont let myself kind of thing. I have really good self control.
But generally no, i dont think they are all that true, i had bad heartburn and had one bladie, one with 2 inch long hair and one with peach fuzz lol. I think that some people have some symptoms, others get others
April 8th, 2011, 11:09 PM
Super Mommy
The hair and heartburn has been pretty true for me! The two babies that I didn't have much heartburn with, had the least amount of hair, and the two that I had it the worst with had a ton of hair. I read in the new revised edition of What to Expect When You're Expecting, that it's actually true because the hormone that causes the heartburn also causes a lot of hair growth on baby. I think you still have to have the genes to have a baby with a lot of hair though, and my family is a bunch of Cousin It's when it comes to hair.

All I can say is if it's really true, this baby better have a head FULL of hair to make this heartburn worth it!
April 8th, 2011, 11:41 PM
Super Mommy
A study at John Hopkins actually shows the heartburn one to be true:

Pregnant Mothers with Heartburn Can Expect Babies with Lots of Hair - Associated Content from Yahoo! - associatedcontent.com

Of course, it won't be true for everyone, but there is apparently a high enough correlation for John Hopkins to state it is not a myth.
April 9th, 2011, 06:03 AM
daisey609's Avatar Veteran
I certainly don't believe the ones about gender of the amount of hair... but others have been proven to have fact behind them by science now.
an example/...
The old wives tale about pregnant women shouldn't be around cats cause it can harm the baby. = TRUE to some extent.... its only the litter that we cant be around or clean thats fine by me!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search