Cats take baby's breath away....

Forum: 2011 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2011 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
April 22nd, 2011, 05:59 PM
bajars2531's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Heaven's NO!!! I would die without my furbabies. We will, however, be keeping baby's room off limits for all. I just don't want it all hairly and no one goes in the crib but baby! My cats (we have 4) really just ignore babies/kids. They don't love them, they don't hate them. I imagine there will be some jealousy, but DH and I have already talked about an action plan to deal with any issues. My dog is spoiled, but she ADORES children, so I am not the least bit worried about it. I plan on using animals as baby entertainment.

Make a pregnancy ticker

April 22nd, 2011, 07:26 PM
EricaLee's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
My cat actually slept in DD crib before she was born so I just shut Madison's door at night when she went to bed... He is REALLY good with her she used to pull his tail ALL the time he would just cry and run away, now if I pulled his tail he would take my eye out.... I think they know, that is my opinion... he is careful with her and so are the dogs.... I trust them, maybe because I have raised them all since they were 6 weeks old and I give them rough love myself I dunno....

Big time thanks to jmmysterymaker for my WONDERFUL siggie!

April 23rd, 2011, 09:55 PM
Brennaluet's Avatar Super Mommy
I've heard of cats smothering babies by sleeping on them, but not something intentional. One of our cats won't even come in the house anymore since we got puppies and our latest cat. The dogs won't be left unsupervised with the baby, but they shouldn't be a problem. One of the dogs LOVES kids, when we see them out in public she gets so excited to play with them. The inside cat will either hide from baby or love baby, but she won't be left unattended with baby either.

April 24th, 2011, 07:29 AM
hippie hugs's Avatar Proud Mama to a Preemie
This made me stop and think!

We have two cats, but neither of them are hostile. Both are very gentle, and affectionate - so we don't foresee a problem. What we do have to consider is the fact that our big boy - Haine - loves, loves, loves to share body warmth with anyone laying down. He's rather heavy for a feline his size, and I struggle a little when I pick him up. But I don't think he'd do it to the baby (he prefers to rest on DH) yet one never does know.. We'll just have to watch him.

Thank you Claire1979 for the amazing siggy!

April 24th, 2011, 04:14 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by mom2moose View Post
I don't believe they take their breaths away, but yes, I imagine they could lay on a newborns face and suffocate it. I mean, a newborn isn't really strong enough to pull away.
Big ole' ditto. Nothing can "take their breath away", but they can be suffocated by something like a pillow, blanket, or yes, a cat.

That said, we have 2 cats and 2 dogs in the house. We feel very strongly that our pets are our responsiblity and would never rehome them until we'd tried all avenues. All of our pets adjusted very well to DD. Now she slept beside me in a bassinett or PNP until she was a year so I would have heard a cat get in her bed....now she sleeps in her crib most of the night with the door open, but the cats a) don't want to sleep where she is, and b) she could move away if they sat on her now. Flaily little babies/kids are a LOT different than sleeping with a warm snuggly adult

We talked to our vet about how to best introduce baby to the pets, and didn't have any issues. We always watch them of course, but they do play together while supervised.

Thanks to Mom2*Lauryn*Jacob* for this beautiful sig!

October 25th, 2013, 09:38 AM
Even though this is an old wive's tale I think it does have a basis of truth as do a lot of old wives tales. I had two cats when pregnant with my first child. My great grandmother who had been a mid wife told me I had to get rid of them for this reason. I didn't, but made sure they knew the crib was off limits just as they knew the dining table was, the kitchen counters and the furniture. Years later I found out how this wives tale might have came to be because it happened to me. One of my cats was cuddled up with his nose in close proximity to my nose. After a bit I couldn't breathe. There was a very unfamiliar feel and slight smell about the "air" I was trying to breathe.I pushed the cat away in the effort to get up and find help and I was immediately able to breath. What I determined was possibly just like us they breathe in oxygen and emit carbon dioxide. He was in such proximity that I wasn't getting oxygen to breathe but carbon dioxide which I couldn't breathe. I had had cats for over 30 years and nothing like that had ever happened to me before. I presume at some point back in the day some cats had gotten close enough to some babies to smell and lick the milk or just cuddle and probably because back a long time ago paregoric was liberally used for teething, a lot of crying, presumed stomach ache, etc which really just drugged babies (and no longer available over the counter) into sleep so they would possibly not have responded to not being able to breathe because they were so drugged. Although I think it is one chance in no telling how many millions there is a slight chance that a baby is asleep or doesn't fuss and move around away from such proximity that it could happen. The cat doesn't take the baby's breath away just gets so close to not only a baby but also an adult that when we try to breathe there is no oxygen but carbon dioxide.
October 30th, 2013, 10:20 AM
Crunchymommy's Avatar Mama of 3 beautiful girls
Send a message via AIM to Crunchymommy Send a message via MSN to Crunchymommy Send a message via Yahoo to Crunchymommy
I don't believe it at all. I share my home with two cats and neither have ever tried to hurt my girls. I got them both when my oldest DD was four, my Bella was 2 and I was pregnant with Aria. Neither one tried to lay on her face or anything.

Thanks to *Sharon* for my beautiful siggy

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search