eating mushrooms while pregnant

Forum: 2011 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2011 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
April 26th, 2011, 10:25 AM
eccomi's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
has anyone heard from their doctor to not eat them while pregnant?

i'm not talking about wild (or magic ) mushrooms... i'm talking about the ones that are commerically grown and sold in supermarkets.

once i get some feedback i'll explain more...

cycles 1-16: TTC naturally, all BFNs
cycle 17 & 18: not TTC (due to diagnostic tests)
october 14: RE appt with follow-up hysteroscopy + saline sonogram... TUBES ARE CLEAR!
cycle 19, 20 & 21: natural TTC cycles = BFNs
cycle 22: another natural cycle, but preparing for our first IUI with injectables for cycle 23! FINALLY!!!
FEBRUARY 10th... our very first when we least expected it!!!

october 26th... our little miracle arrived via c-section at 12:19pm weighing 3.920 kilos! we are in love.
April 26th, 2011, 10:26 AM
dixon0511's Avatar Super Mommy
I've never been told not to before....I will be anxiously waiting to see others replies!
April 26th, 2011, 10:32 AM
LuvMyToriBug's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I have been eating mushrooms and have never been told not to eat them.

April 26th, 2011, 10:34 AM
Super Mommy
I have never heard anything about not eating them...i loooooooooove sauteed mushrooms! Mmmmm!

Miranda (27)
DH (27)
DD (8)
April 26th, 2011, 10:43 AM
HA! okay... that was EXACTLY my thoughts/reaction, too!

here's how this question all came about...

my SIL is due next month. we were talking yesterday and she mentioned how she's been craving mushrooms but how she can't eat them. i asked her why not and she said that her doctor told her not to eat them while pregnant (or while breastfeeding). WTH??? my doctor didn't mention a thing about mushrooms and i've NEVER heard this before. i came home and googled it and i didn't come up with anything about it either. these darn italian doctors! and the women here eat it up without ever second guessing/researching for themselves! mind you, SIL also told me when she first got pregnant that she wasn't supposed to touch or have close contact with dogs (apparently her doctor told her this, too! ). when i got home that night i sent her tons of info. on how dogs pose absolutely no health risk to pregnant women (other than the risk of them jumping on you ). today i sent her info. on how it's safe for pregnant women to eat mushrooms but she's adamant about what her doctor told her. i feel like if her doctor told her to stand on her head and wiggle her toes, she'd do it without question.

october 14: RE appt with follow-up hysteroscopy + saline sonogram... TUBES ARE CLEAR!
cycle 22: another natural cycle, but preparing for our first IUI with injectables for cycle 23! FINALLY!!!

october 26th... our little miracle arrived via c-section at 12:19pm weighing 3.920 kilos! we are in love.
April 26th, 2011, 10:47 AM
LuvMyToriBug's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
She is just missing out on some tasty sauteed mushrooms on her hamburger or mushrooms in her salad etc LOL!!

April 26th, 2011, 10:49 AM
east to west coast's Avatar ~Melissa~
Mushrooms (like you said, non-wild, non-magic ) are perfectly safe, and actually, my midwives suggested that I take a natural supplement that's made from a blend of mushrooms to boost immunity when I had the beginnings of a sinus infection.

Thank you, MommaDucks, for my lovely siggy
April 26th, 2011, 10:56 AM
arrrrrrghhhhhhhhhh! i hate when you KNOW you're right and the other person refuses to listen! and i'm not one of those persons that pushes my opinions/beliefs on others. but come on. and these doctors. sheesh, give me a break.

my friend (also american married to an italian) just had her baby on the 23rd. i went to visit them in the hospital yesterday (in italy you stay in the hospital for three days) and we were chatting and she was telling me how in her birthing class (at the hospital) someone had asked the nurse (or doctor, i don't know which) for their next baby what they could do to encourage a certain sex. well... i guess the nurse/doctor said that if you want a boy to eat lots of meat while TTC, and if you want a girl to eat lots of fish. ummmmmm okay. i'm a vegetarian so what am i going to have???

April 26th, 2011, 11:05 AM
east to west coast's Avatar ~Melissa~
Quote:
Originally Posted by eccomi View Post
well... i guess the nurse/doctor said that if you want a boy to eat lots of meat while TTC, and if you want a girl to eat lots of fish. ummmmmm okay. i'm a vegetarian so what am i going to have???

Ditto- so, I guess we're going to have a carrot? Or, a zucchini? Come on! Aren't doctors supposed to be providing research-based information, not information based on old wives' tales?

Thank you, MommaDucks, for my lovely siggy
April 26th, 2011, 11:19 AM
blessedmom080911's Avatar Excitedly Expecting #3!
Umm i sure hope not. I love mushrooms!

April 26th, 2011, 11:45 AM
Liz_SD's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via Skype™ to Liz_SD
Mmmm mushrooms!!! if we're not supposed to eat them then i'm screwed! since i can't have subway, i've substituted by sandwich cravings with my favorite sandwich in the whole wide world ... a philly cheese steak!!! and of course, i order mine covered in mushrooms. the place i go uses game meat (venison or buffalo) instead of beef so they are lower in fat, and the most amazing peppers and mushrooms (portabello on a cheese steak? yes please!).

i only have one about once a month, since they are still kinda high in calories with all the cheese, but OMG, so yummy!!!

April 26th, 2011, 11:50 AM
PointDefiance's Avatar My job is life itself.
mushrooms sound amazing. js.

I think since you are a vegetarian you are going to have a...................... baby! lol

Weirdo doctors!
April 26th, 2011, 12:09 PM
~mama2monkeys~'s Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via MSN to ~mama2monkeys~ Send a message via Yahoo to ~mama2monkeys~
I've been eating mushrooms like CRAZY! Raw, in salad, and especially sautee'd with sweet onions! YUUUUUMMMM!!!! I just can't get enough of them!
I'm Carrie, wife to Micah (10/11/03) and mommy to 4 little monkeys! Jonah (10/08/04) Bella Kate (04-05-07) Finlay (09-17-09) Abram (10-28-11)and Baby #5, Baby Boy, Due May 2014!

April 26th, 2011, 12:12 PM
soon to be mommy of four!
I absolutely hate mushrooms, but I have never heard of being told not to eat them, and I sure would be eating them if I liked them.
Did she mention WHY her dr said this?? maybe he's thinking of poisonous ones you would find in the woods, lol
son, born Oct. 2, 2009
and expecting baby #4: 10/10/2011!!

one angel baby

Make a pregnancy ticker

April 26th, 2011, 12:18 PM
Urchin's Avatar Loving every minute.
lol... just another reminder that doctors are not the be-all end-all.

I personally have not read anything regarding mushrooms...and I read-up a lot on what is good and bad to eat. I'd like to hear the reasoning on why they don't recommend mushrooms!

The only thing I can think of is that raw mushrooms might be a bacteria-risk...since they are grown in poo and all. But washed/cooked should be fine!

Proud mama to Audrina (10-10-2011) & Bryden (09-19-2014)

Last edited by Urchin; April 26th, 2011 at 12:26 PM.
April 26th, 2011, 12:20 PM
lindz_fay's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I love Mushrooms. That would devistate me but I have never heard it before so I am betting we are safe

thank you bri_91 for my siggy

April 26th, 2011, 12:22 PM
Super Mommy
That's incredibly bizarre. I am definitely eating mushrooms!

I have heard that in France, pregnant women are told not to eat salad because of listeria. Really? SALAD? eccomi, do doctors say this in italy? I'm going to spain in a few weeks and I'm hoping nobody tries to get between me and a salad! :-)
April 26th, 2011, 12:46 PM
Super Mommy
The only risk I know of, is divorce. My husband has banned me from eating mushrooms. Am I the only one that gets ridiculous gas from mushrooms????
Connor 5/27/05
Eli 10/7/11

April 26th, 2011, 01:24 PM
nyc_mama's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snickers34 View Post
The only risk I know of, is divorce. My husband has banned me from eating mushrooms. Am I the only one that gets ridiculous gas from mushrooms????
LMAO- I havent noticed this but it made me laugh! I love mushrooms! So weird that italian dr's are advising against them....even when breast feeding??

April 26th, 2011, 01:43 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by AKNewMom View Post
That's incredibly bizarre. I am definitely eating mushrooms!

I have heard that in France, pregnant women are told not to eat salad because of listeria. Really? SALAD? eccomi, do doctors say this in italy? I'm going to spain in a few weeks and I'm hoping nobody tries to get between me and a salad! :-)
here they say salad is fine as long as it is washed well. who knows what they will be saying in spain! you can always play the foreigner card. heeheehee!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lindz_fay View Post
I love Mushrooms. That would devistate me but I have never heard it before so I am betting we are safe
me neither. that's why i was so taken aback by what my SIL said yesterday. i'm sure they are perfectly fine to eat.

Last edited by eccomi; April 26th, 2011 at 01:50 PM.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search