Birth Regrets

Forum: 2011 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2011 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
May 2nd, 2011, 11:21 AM
Platinum Supermommy
For the BTDT mommies on the board, is there anything that you regret about your previous deliverys? What will you be doing differant this time around?
May 2nd, 2011, 11:32 AM
Cheshire's Avatar Mommy to three beauties!
I'm changing it ALL up. I had two hospital deliveries with epidurals, one that worked and one that didn't. The meds, the bedside manner of the nurses, the comfort of the hospital in general have all made me decide to try a water birth in a birth center with a midwife.

May 2nd, 2011, 11:37 AM
Super Mommy
I was induced and I will avoid it this time unless it is 100% medically necessary.

Firstly, they estimated my DD was 9-11lbs and she was born barely 7.5lbs, the estimate was off because she was so tall and the bones they measure to help determine weight were so much longer, it added lbs! I also had too much fluid and increasing BP, not they were not life threatening at that point. I don't think being induced changed my labour or delivery (I only need the cervical gel and they broke my water, I was ready to go before I had to have the pictocin start!), but I don't think my DD was ready to be born, and I don't think my body was ready, as simple as that.

I didn't know my ovulation date with her and I think she measured big to begin with, they have already tried to move my date forward with this baby, but I am firm on my O date, so they can kiss my you know what!!!

So yeah, I will NOT be being induced, unless of course they tell me it's life or death and then I will be so on top of them it won't be funny, this baby will come when it's ready, not for fear of being huge or a little extra fluid on me

Sorry, kind of lost it there, but I was recently talking to a friend about this exact thing and I am pretty fired up, Heaven help this OB if she suggests induction

Thank you so much BAM for my awesome siggy

May 2nd, 2011, 11:41 AM
Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to Lilysmama
I regret being induced with my DD. I don't think she was ready to be born. It resulted in fetal distress which resulted in a c-section. I really wish I had just let my body go into labor naturally. I feel it would have made all the difference.

May 2nd, 2011, 12:01 PM
SoCaliMommy's Avatar Super Mommy
I have had two hospital births, one with a epidural the 2nd one i made it my goal to have a med free birth and did it was great, i left the hospital with my son when he was 6hours old AMA i was not about to pay a $200 co pay to share a tiny room and even smaller bathroom. I plan on having a homebirth with this baby if i can convince hubby.

May 2nd, 2011, 12:37 PM
Allison331's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via Yahoo to Allison331
I will not get an epidural so early again. They pressured me to get it around 3cm just because the guy was already there! I want to labor at home for as long as possible. Last time I had a 45 minute drive to the hospital so we were worried about getting stuff in traffic, so we left very early. This time our drive is only 10 minutes. Anyway, I will basically do anything to not make my labor last for 36 hours again!

Thanks Vicki for my Amazing Siggy!!!!

May 2nd, 2011, 12:41 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I will not allow resident OB's or resident nurses in my room this time. With DD I had one of each and they both were so snotty and rude. They thought they could tell me when I could do this and I had to do that. I simply told them that it was a good thing they weren't real doctors and the on call doctor was the one in charge not them. Oh and the OB resident was pregnant. When the on call doctor told her to break my water she told me "well if it were up to me I wouldn't break your water or offer you any pain meds or an epidural." To which I glared and responded, Well then I hope nobody breaks your water and they are mean to you when you go into labor and don't offer you anything. That was the last time she came into my room.

May 2nd, 2011, 12:44 PM
Also this time around I will not tell anyone when I'm in labor!! I had people calling my cell, DH's cell, the hospital phone constantly to see if I had the baby. It was SO annoying. I'm going to try not to do any updates on FB either!

May 2nd, 2011, 12:56 PM
Cheshire's Avatar Mommy to three beauties!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Allison331 View Post
Also this time around I will not tell anyone when I'm in labor!! I had people calling my cell, DH's cell, the hospital phone constantly to see if I had the baby. It was SO annoying. I'm going to try not to do any updates on FB either!
That's kind of rude...my little sister was the only one who ever did that and she doesn't care who she's bugging but that's so rude to keep calling when you're in labor. You're kinda busy and DUH someone will tell them afterward!

May 2nd, 2011, 02:06 PM
Jenilope's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to Jenilope
With my first labor, I learned 3 important things that made the second one better:
1. Nursing pads and a nursing pillow should come to the hospital with me! It's dumb, but I didn't pack any pads because the class told me that "most people's milk won't come in for 2-5 days" so I figured I wouldn't need them. My gown was soaked and I was dripping milk on the floor by the time the epi wore off the first time (not the second though) and I didn't bring my brestfriend pillow because I was worried about it getting dirty, but it would have helped so much in those first couple days and it would have been nice to be learning to nurse with the LC help the same way I planned to nurse at home, so I packed both of those things the second time!

2. Don't call anyone who lives in driving distance from the hospital to announce the birth until you're actually ready to see them! My DH called his parents when Matilda was born while they were still checking her out and I hadn't even delivered the placenta yet. They got the the hospital while I was still being stitched up and before I even got to hold her! And they wouldn't leave, they just kept calling my room every 3 minutes to see if they could come in yet until I lost it and told them to go home before I called security and we would tell them when we were ready to actually see them. The second baby was born before 6am. We didn't tell anyone until after she was cleaned up, I had fed her and had a nap and we were ready to actually have visitors. It was much nicer.

3. Finally, my DH does not do well spending the night at the hospital. So, the second time, I had him spend the days with me, but when it was time for DD1 to go to bed, he went home to be with her and sleep at home. It was much nicer than listening to him complain about how tired and sore HE was, lol. Obviously, this won't be true for everyone, but for me, once I could walk, he could go home and sleep at night and we were all happier.

But, I still had more to learn, every delivery is different. With my induction for my second baby, the plan was to start cervadil the night of the 29th, take an ambien, sleep through the night, start pitocin in the morning and deliver afternoon/early evening of the 30th. So, I had DH drop me off at the hospital that night and told him to spend the night of the 29th at home with DD1 and come join me in the morning of the 30 when labor was really supposed to start. But, the cervadil put me into full blown labor and in the middle of the night, he had to wake the baby up, drop her off at his parents, answer they're million questions and then finally come see me. I think he was only there for 4-6 hours of that labor. This time, if we have to go with an induction, I'll just make sure he's there for the whole thing instead of trying to guess how it will all go. He can go home and sleep after the baby is here

May 2nd, 2011, 02:10 PM
divna's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Staying in hospital too long!!!!

I had a scheduled c-section and though i had no choice about how long I had to stay, I was in there 4 nights....i was miserable and this time around I plan on asking to be discharged after a couple of nights as long as me and baby are fine.

Also, i will make sure the nurses know that I don't want anyone coming in without my permission as last time, my ex's parents were suppose to wait to be called but by the time i got back to the recovery room they were already there?!

Last edited by divna; May 2nd, 2011 at 02:12 PM.
May 2nd, 2011, 02:13 PM
10x_A_Mommy's Avatar Plus 1 :)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Allison331 View Post
Ahh that irks me lol. For my last 2 deliveries the ONLY people that knew I was going was my best friend in TN and the friend that was coming over to stay with my kids (my kids knew too of course). I do not tell any family at all until several hours after the birth once I've had time to relax and get comfortable.
Tristan ~ lost 2/6/03 @ 20 weeks

May 2nd, 2011, 02:22 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I am doing everything different this time, my first 2 were born in a hospital with a doctor and this one is going to be born at home with a midwife, probably in water.

My first birth was very traumatic for me and it took me a long time to get over it. I had very clear ideas of how I wanted giving birth to be and right from the very first step it wasn't at all what I wanted. I had to be induced and it ended up being intervention after intervention after intervention and ended with a mid forceps birth with 3rd degree tearing and the anesthetic not working. The only positive things that came out of the experience are My DS (of course ) and for what ever reason the OB did not give me a c-section when I am certain any other doctor would have so I got to try again for my ideal birth.
#2's birth was overall better, definitely less traumatic but still wasn't what I wanted and I felt very pressured by doctors and nurses to do all the things I didn't want to do like stay on my back in bed, not eat, they were relentless in trying to get me to take pain meds. I felt like it was their experience and not at all mine.
May 2nd, 2011, 05:44 PM
Kittynoah's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
My birth went really well, so I don't have any changes for that. I do hope my OB is on call the day I have this baby - I got a different doc in the rotation. And I am not telling certain people that I am in labor. With DS, all of DH's family came and were waiting in the waiting room. I had told everyone "NO kids" at the hospital to avoid crazy neices and nephews (who have no manners) from attacking my new baby at the hospital. Well they came anyway and left the kids in the car for several hours! So after DS was born and I was nursing, my MIL comes in and asks when I will be done because my SIL and BIL want to see the baby and the kids are waiting in the car! Excuse me? I am trying to breastfeed my one hour old baby! So this time I think I will only tell my mom and sisters and the rest of the family can wait until after the birth. I don't want to feel rushed with my first few hours.

May 2nd, 2011, 05:59 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via Yahoo to countryjewelsc
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilysmama View Post
I regret being induced with my DD. I don't think she was ready to be born. It resulted in fetal distress which resulted in a c-section. I really wish I had just let my body go into labor naturally. I feel it would have made all the difference.
i have the same feelings here. i had a failed induction (cervadil only), was sent home, then went into labor that night. i think it was the induction that pushed me into labor, not me going naturally. when we got to the hospital they broke my water and started pitocin immediately, which i ultimately ended up with an emergency c section. i also think if i had stayed at home a little longer, and not had the interventions so soon I may have delivered vaginally.

this time we've decided to schedule a repeat c section for my due date, but if i go into labor naturally we will go for the vbac.

www.facebook.com/babylovecustoms, specializing in custom embroidery for children.

Make a pregnancy ticker
May 2nd, 2011, 06:42 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I don't have any regrets with my previous birth. This time I will be doing things a bit differently, I'm going to try and hold off on an epidural as long as I can (but still want one for sure!) but the only reason for that is because I am trying to do a VBAC and want my body to progress as much as it can on it's own before I cave. There's no way I could do it without an epi though, with my son I was only 1cm when I needed one! Although my water had broken so my contractions were super super painful. I may also be using a midwife, undecided at this point but will be doing a consult about the VBAC with my dr and a midwife and will make the decision at that point!
May 2nd, 2011, 07:14 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mama2seven View Post
Ahh that irks me lol. For my last 2 deliveries the ONLY people that knew I was going was my best friend in TN and the friend that was coming over to stay with my kids (my kids knew too of course). I do not tell any family at all until several hours after the birth once I've had time to relax and get comfortable.
That's a great idea. I will definitely be doing that this time!

May 2nd, 2011, 07:40 PM
Carey
I had a wonderful, couldn't ask for better, calm induction when my body was ready so no changes here. I will honestly ask to be induced once I am 3 cm and 39 weeks if it happens that way again. It was heavenly as far as a birth can go.

Now, for the after part, I will not sit back and let them tell me to relax and recover while my baby is in the nursery getting a bath. I will get cleaned up, ice the "area", eat and let my feeling come back, and be at the nursery if they have not brought my baby back by then.

May 2nd, 2011, 08:01 PM
mysweetember
Well I had a great labor and delivery. Since I'm doing a homebirth instead of a free standing birth center birth, I have even more choices. This time I feel like I'll be able to better think through my contractions than i did the first time around. I'm also going to be using the pool and shower instead of just the tub. And I plan on watching comedy movies while I'm in labor to help with distraction hehe.
May 2nd, 2011, 08:10 PM
SummerSet2011's Avatar Addicted To Salt!
1. try for a natural delivery with no pain meds
2. thicker blanket for baby

Tags
btdt qotd , pregnancy , qotd

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search