stomach "shape" shows what gender you're having??

Forum: 2011 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2011 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
May 3rd, 2011, 08:38 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Okay, my friend and I think this is SO WEIRD. One of my best friends is about 22 weeks pregnant with a baby girl. She's already had a boy who's 4. We go out shopping a lot and not one or two, but THREE different times, WEEKS apart, people have come up to her and said "you're having a girl!" and when we go YES!! how do you know??, they say "the shape of your stomach!".

I have NEVER heard this before, and we think its just so bizarre. It happened AGAIN on Saturday. We were out shopping and standing in line at checkout, and the woman in front of us turned around and said to her "you're having a girl, aren't you?" [we weren't buying anything baby related so we had nothing baby girl around us] and my friend says "YES!! how did you know??" and the lady AGAIN told her "the shape of your stomach!". So since I'm having a boy we keep trying to compare stomach shapes. She's a month ahead of me though, so its hard to tell. Personally, we think our stomachs look the same. She said this never happened to her when she was pregnant with Ryland (her son).

Is this NOT weird and we just haven't experienced it before? It really freaks her out, lol. She's like "HOW DO THEY KNOW!!!!"

*thank you*Kiliki*

May 3rd, 2011, 08:43 AM
MrsR's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Shape of Moms’ Belly
Some say if the woman’s belly is big and round it means that she is carrying a girl. Likewise, if her belly is smaller and sticking straight out than she is carrying a boy.
Gender Predicting Old Wives Tales | Pregnancy | Baby, Pregnancy, and Parenting at Babies Online

Thank you so much to tasha_mae for my adorable signature!

May 3rd, 2011, 08:47 AM
Mega Super Mommy
I'd say her stomach actually resembles more of the "boy" shape according to that website. hmmm..

*thank you*Kiliki*

May 3rd, 2011, 08:56 AM
MrsR's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
With my son my stomach was huge and stuck straight out, lol. That's strange so many people have commented on her belly.

Thank you so much to tasha_mae for my adorable signature!

May 3rd, 2011, 09:07 AM
Jacobbbsmommy's Avatar Happy but Lost
ive heard difference about carrying high vs carrying low predicting gender. i think it was girls are high and boys are low? i carried my son low and had many strangers tell me i was having a boy, some even before i knew! im carrying this one higher so far and am hoping it is predicting girl lol
May 3rd, 2011, 09:53 AM
east to west coast's Avatar ~Melissa~
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacobbbsmommy View Post
ive heard difference about carrying high vs carrying low predicting gender. i think it was girls are high and boys are low? i carried my son low and had many strangers tell me i was having a boy, some even before i knew! im carrying this one higher so far and am hoping it is predicting girl lol

It's funny because, in the case of my belly, the two wives' tales contradict one another. I'm carrying the baby high, so that would indicate a girl, but my belly is smaller and sticks out straight instead of being more spread out and round, which would indicate boy.

Thank you, MommaDucks, for my lovely siggy
May 3rd, 2011, 10:24 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacobbbsmommy View Post
I'd heard the same thing, in fact a friend's mom said that to me a couple weeks ago (before we knew the sex). She said, "Well, you're carrying high [which I'm actually not--if you look at me without a more form-fitting shirt on, you can see I'm carrying low] so it's probably a girl."

May 3rd, 2011, 10:31 AM
kara74's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
According to my mother - if you're carrying a girl, you carry high. If you're carrying a boy, you carry low and your butt sticks out more. She claims that's how I carried my sons and now that I'm carrying higher this time she swears this one's a girl.

May 3rd, 2011, 10:35 AM
ashjuan123's Avatar Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by ms. e View Post
According to my mother - if you're carrying a girl, you carry high. If you're carrying a boy, you carry low and your butt sticks out more. She claims that's how I carried my sons and now that I'm carrying higher this time she swears this one's a girl.
That is what my mother says...LOL...but with my girls I carried VERY low, I am also carrying low this time and having a boy!? So I am not to convinced on the carrying low or high....

May 3rd, 2011, 10:42 AM
Mega Super Mommy
haha. so weird!! its just so weird how these people come up to her with absolute certainty. and complete strangers!

*thank you*Kiliki*

May 3rd, 2011, 11:52 AM
PointDefiance's Avatar My job is life itself.
This kinda makes me sad because I have no bump =/ a lot of the bump talk sucks for me because at 16 weeks I am barely noticeable as pregnant at all. In fact, I went to DH's work the other day and this coworkers said "She doesn't look pregnant at all"... I wish I was showing a little bit so it would be more exciting. Then at least I could make guesses!
May 3rd, 2011, 12:06 PM
mommyjaz's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by lynnii View Post
This kinda makes me sad because I have no bump =/ a lot of the bump talk sucks for me because at 16 weeks I am barely noticeable as pregnant at all. In fact, I went to DH's work the other day and this coworkers said "She doesn't look pregnant at all"... I wish I was showing a little bit so it would be more exciting. Then at least I could make guesses!
Aww hon, soon you'll be popping out and have a belly FULL of baby, enjoy toting the smaller belly while you still can, because it won't last too much longer. I have a feeling you are going to be the cutest thing! Alllll baby belly and cute as a button

I had a stranger tell me the other night (not guess, but INFORM lol) that I am having a girl. He continued to tell me that it was from the shape of my belly and how I was carrying and that there was no WAY that he was wrong on this........which is fine and dandy with me, boy or girl I'll be happy as long as he or she is healthy......he then proceeded to tell me that she would be 6lbs 2oz........uhm......how about no!? This baby better be bigger than that! lol

I too have heard alot of the "high it's a girl, and low it's a boy" talk.......with Jordynn I definitely carried high, and this time, I feel that I am carrying quite low......so we'll see!

Definitely strange how many comments your friend is getting though!!! Neat!
May 3rd, 2011, 01:51 PM
lulumama's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
When I was pregnant with Otis I would have people stop me all the time and tell me that I was having a girl - solely based on how I was carrying him, and when I told them that no, in fact, we were having a boy, they would ARGUE with me, they were that convinced that they were right!

Forever missing our baby boy, Otis Allen, born September 12, 2010 at 41 wks; left this world 36 hours later.

Blessed with our Maui Miracle - Owen Kekoa, born 9/19/11 at 35w3d!
May 3rd, 2011, 03:25 PM
Mega Super Mommy
When I was pregnant with my second daughter, I had a stranger come up to me in the grocery store and tell me that I was having a boy based on the shape of my belly. He claimed that he had a 90% correct rate. This was one of multiple old wives' tales pointing to boy, so by the end of my pregnancy I was convinced that I was having a boy. I was quite surprised that she was missing the boy parts when she was born.

Lucia Jane, born 10.9.11

Forever missing our angel babies
May 3rd, 2011, 05:45 PM
expecting #5
I am pretty certain that I carried ALL of my babies the same. Just depends on the woman and the way her body is shaped, in my opinion. Maybe I will try and post some pics to compare.

With my first, I was showing very early....and I was very skinny. But this being my 5th baby, it seems the muscles are naturally low but pop out sooner?

May 3rd, 2011, 09:40 PM
Miss Mo's Avatar Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by ms. e View Post
That's ALL I need. I'm have a boy, and trust me I do NOT need my butt to stick out any further!!

While I know that these old wives tales are not true, they certainly are fun. I carried DS low, and I guess I'm carrying this boy low too. Having never had a girl I guess I'll never see if I would have carried her high.

I do think it's strange that SO many people are commenting on your friend's belly. AND coming to the same conclusion? Weird. But I hope she's having fun with it!!

Introducing Aris!
Welcomed to our Family on 10/8/11

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search