Diaper opinions needed

Forum: 2011 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2011 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
May 5th, 2011, 07:19 AM
Mega Super Mommy
I plan on using disposable diapers. It is easy for me and with daycare it will just be easier all around. I have always been about low maintenance options.

However I am also into cheap/cost-effective ideas. I am going to be off work for 8-12 weeks. Would it be worth it to buy a few cloth diapers for her to use during those times and save the disposable for daycare? Is there any issues with switching between both?

Other cloth questions: Do you wash cloth diapers in their own load or can you wash them with the other clothes? Are they a really big hassle (my sister is implying they are too much hassle)?

Simple math (not factoring in cost of washing): 1 cloth diaper = $20
1 disposable diaper = $.20
so 1 cloth diaper is the cost of 100 disposables
So if I got 10 cloth diapers, I would need to use them for 125 days (assuming she goes through 8 diapers a day) to even out the cost of disposables. Thats about 4 months to net even.
Did I miss something?

http://hkystar.blogspot.com

May 5th, 2011, 07:56 AM
beccandrew's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
In the very beginning there will definitely be days you go through more than 8 diapers. I've had MANY times where I have a wet diaper to change, go to lift little baby legs...the baby pees on a clean diaper....grab a new one, lift legs, baby poops on the second clean diaper...grab another---that's 3 clean diapers in 2 minutes! lol!

I cloth diapered for just a few months with my first and figured out very quickly that it wasn't for me. Not for everyone! I love the convenience of disposables...especially in the beginning.
May 5th, 2011, 07:57 AM
Destiny
I got my set of cloth diapers for $15, I don't know how many it contains but it's probably close to 50, so financially if you can find a deal like that it would be very worth your while. Especially since your baby will be in diapers for quite awhile and the bigger sizes get more expensive per diaper.
You need to wash them in their own load though, but it's about 5 minutes of extra work a day. I just rinse them off, throw them in a bucket with some baking soda sprinkled on top then I take it down stairs later on and toss them in the wash. They're a bit of a hassle, but not a huge one.
With disposables though there are a lot of really great deals, I know a lot of moms who use Amazon mom, and a lot of other websites and stores have great deals for consistent buyers.
I'd say if you can find some for cheap it'd be great. I always put Ellie in cloth if she has a bad rash too, because the cloth isn't as irritating to it as sposies are. I'm part time on both and I've never had issues.

May 5th, 2011, 08:07 AM
Happy Mommy
you can easily find cloth diapers for way under the $20. the $20 is usually the ones with fancy covers and pockets, but you could go with prefolds/flats and plastic covers for even less....
May 5th, 2011, 09:23 AM
Mischief Managed's Avatar Super Mommy
Send a message via MSN to Mischief Managed
If you only plan on using them 8 weeks it might not be worth it. Just to start out CD cost about $300 (is the estimates I have been hearing, I havn't officially started getting my stash put together yet so not sure. Wow I need to get on that! I plan on using pre-folds)
BUT since I will be home most of the time, I plan on CDing but whenever I leave (even if it is only a night. I don't want to lug dirty CDs around) my apt I plan using sposies, so I think if you do decide to trade off and on that is a great idea. Either way, you will be saving money anytime you use a single cloth diaper after the initial starting costs. I havn't asked if it really effects the baby by switching, but I couldn't imagine it being too much of a hassle. They have made sposies so great these days comfort wise. I think if the sposies give the baby a rash it is time to only use CD till the rash goes away. I will need to do a little more research on it! Great, just another thing to think about!
They need to be washed in their own load but from what I have been reading it doesn't have to be every day.

May 5th, 2011, 10:05 AM
Veteran
This will be my third baby i've cloth diapered. If you want some great and cute cost effective ones, on facebook look up "cloth by tel" or Cloth By Tel - Home she sells pockets for 8 a pair, is a WAHM and makes a GREAT PRODUCT.

That being said, ive spent about 600 dollars on the stash for three kids, using a mix of cheap and easy prefolds and covers to the expensive cute all in ones. They can be resold if you take care of them and are very durable. It adds a load every two days, and is about 15 minutes work max.

When I travel though I do use disposables, I had a maid throw out a bag of dirty ones on me once

Shannon mom to the three most amazing children ~Tara Grace ~ Emma Faith ~ and ~ Liam Patrick ~
May 5th, 2011, 10:07 AM
Veteran
I get Pampers on sale for $19.99 for a box of 174 ($0.11/diaper). I think for the first few months you would use about 250-300 diapers per month. After that about 180 per month.

I calculated how much a load of laundry costs (using Kw used * rate / kW) and it came out to $3.00/load!!! That can add up pretty quickly if you are washing diapers constantly. Then you need to add in the detergent and the actual costs of the CD.

In my opinion if you get disposables on sale they are not any more costly than CDing, and a lot easier!

May 5th, 2011, 10:55 AM
Super Mommy
I can't really comment on the use of cloth diapers, but I have used Target brand disposable diapers with DS with absolutely no complaints! I used to be a Pampers mama all the way until my cousin gave me a few of her baby's Target brand diapers to test out on my little guy. I never looked back to Pampers!! They are soooo much more absorbant, they don't leak or wick through to clothing, and for being as reliable as they are, they're the cheapest I've come across.

Edited for cost info: Keep in mind that the smaller the diaper size, the more diapers you'll get for your buck. I only get 108 diapers to a box for $20 (sometimes less if they're on sale or if I have a coupon) buying the Target brand, but I'm buying size 5's for my toddler. You pay the same amount for smaller sizes (like size 3), but for you'll get 144 diapers! So the smaller the diaper size the more diapers you're going to get for better the savings!

Last edited by Msceleste; May 5th, 2011 at 11:23 AM. Reason: cost info
May 5th, 2011, 11:33 AM
lovebug79's Avatar Veteran
I use disposable. I have enough laundry and other things to keep up with so cloth just doesn't fit for me. I think you can find good deals on either and their are pluses and minuses to both. Just go with what is going to be best/easiest for you.

Baby Jack Due 7-18-11
May 5th, 2011, 11:41 AM
Mana's Avatar Loving My Baby Girl <3
Send a message via AIM to Mana Send a message via MSN to Mana
I think if you want to CD temporarily and cheaply you might want to go with prefolds. It's pretty much the most economical option, plus even when you're not using them as diapers you can use them for other things, burp cloths and whatnot. For $20 you could get a dozen prefolds and a couple covers.

May 5th, 2011, 01:23 PM
The Jen's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I agree with what some of the other ladies have said - if you want to use them for short term and with a newborn, I would use prefolds and covers. That is going to be the cheapest and make the most sense. And most one size diapers don't fit a newborn well until they are about 10ish pounds, and if you wanted sized diapers you can certainly find diapers for a newborn at cheaper than $20 each!! Also, you need to figure that you change cloth more often - a good rule of thumb is every 2 hours. We generally change our newborns with every feeding (breastfed babies, so they eat ~ every 2 hours and most breastfed babies poop every time they eat!) and then extra if they poop or are wet in between those times! And with newborn poo, you don't have to worry about rinsing it off before washing, just throw it in the diaper pail and then into the wash when you are ready! I have no idea on the cost of disposables, as we haven't used them with our kids, but I always hear people complain of the cost and did recently see 2 of the major companies are raising their prices 7%!!!

Interested in Cloth Diapers and other kid/baby products? Then Check out my store!! www.chickadeebabies.com

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search