Cloth Diaper mommas??

Forum: 2011 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2011 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
May 17th, 2011, 04:56 PM
Andrea1122's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Location: California, Thank you military for sending us back home
Okay im getting ready to place my orders to finish up my newborn stash, and wanted to run it by you all.. My hope is baby will go from NB sizes to OS(i will use fuzzibunz) and some perfolds..

6- xs Fuzzibunz
3- NB bumgenius
2- Happy Heinys MINI
12- preemie GMD prefolds
12- NB GMD prefolds(ill get more if needed, i will prob use some sposies too)
3- Thirsties covers

So hows that stash??

May 17th, 2011, 06:41 PM
Veteran
Thats an awesome stash!

I feel so behind, I haven't started mine yet!

I guess I better get shopping!
May 17th, 2011, 06:56 PM
thepinkleprechaun's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via MSN to thepinkleprechaun
I honestly just hated newborn prefolds so I don't know what to say I know most people use them and love them but I couldn't make them work for me...

I have about 30 fitteds, 12 HH minis, 12 PnP baby Ai2s, 6 PUL covers, 2 knit wool skirties and 3 pairs of interlock shorties.

I have more fitteds on the way too It's only because I traded for them though, I was getting rid of my huge fabric stash.
May 17th, 2011, 07:49 PM
Mum2LGandC's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Looks good. I would get a few more covers if I were you, but that's about it.

I need to and make a list of everything that is in my newborn stash since it is done now too.

May 17th, 2011, 08:48 PM
Okay thanks ladies! Ya i was gonna get 5 covers at first, but i wanted to make sure i like using perfolds on him, then ill order a few more... We will all have to post pics when our stashes are complete Now i gotta go place my orders, hehehe...

May 18th, 2011, 08:05 AM
My3Boys64's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I think its a great stash I am assuming you have small babies? Like 6-7 lbs? My babies are 8-9 lbers and I am buying FB SM and OS - and Infant prefolds....Here is my stash:
24 Infant Prefolds
12 fitted diapers (GMD workhorse fitteds -small yellow edge)
6 Thirsties XS
2 Litewrap NB
2 Thirsties Duo size 1
2 Artistocrat wool soakers
4 FB OS
4 FB Smalls
(I also have a few more infant prefolds and some Katydid OS pockets in storage)

Danielle - Mama to William 02-05-08, Jackson 11-20-09 & Mason 09-08-11.
May 18th, 2011, 08:10 AM
mommybugnbugga's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I agree with PP, it sounds like a good stash. I would grab at least one more cover to be safe. Have you ever used cloth before or is this your first time? If it is your first time, I would grab a couple of Fitteds as well so you will have a couple of everything to try out and see what works best with your lifestyle and for your baby.

oh yea, I agree we should do some stash pics in the next few months i love seeing other people's Cloth Stash!

May 18th, 2011, 08:16 AM
Mega Super Mommy
This will be my first time using cloth, so I have no idea. I'm going into this blind. LOL! I don't think I want to use covers and prefolds though so I have stocked up on Fuzzibunz XS and plenty of S because I'm guessing baby girl will be at least 8 lbs at birth. And I have 6 Lil Joey's and a couple of Thirsties. I know I probably need more for my NB stash?!

May 18th, 2011, 08:21 AM
Mega Super Mommy
I'd love to see stash pics! The OP looks like a good stash to me - it will be nice for you to get to try out a few different types.

we had a few thirsties pockets and they were our #1 with our newborn since they were easier to put on such a tiny baby than prefolds. But then we started loving our prefolds pretty quickly after that!

dd Oct 2006, dd Nov 2007, dd June, 2010, and
DS due Sept 6th, 2011 YAY!!

May 18th, 2011, 08:23 AM
Merridith, You want at least 24 diapers for a newborn. Mixing and matching types of diapers is also a very good idea. Because that way you can find what will work for you. I would suggest getting some of everything, prefolds/covers, fitteds, All In Ones and Pockets. You might be surprised at what you like and what will work for you. Prefolds are generally easier for a newborn from what I have been told (i didn't start using cloth on my DS until he was 4 months). I learned the hard way with ds, by investing alot of money in a system I thought was perfect until I used it a little while and then found I hated it.

May 18th, 2011, 08:33 AM
Mum2LGandC's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I agree that it's nice to have some of everything to see what works best. I loved prefolds for the newborn stage and they are super cheap. And even if you buy a dozen and don't like using them as diapers, they can be used for burp cloths or even inserts for pocket diapers.

I will try to take some pics of my stash today and get them posted for you guys.

May 18th, 2011, 09:38 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by mommybugnbugga View Post
Merridith, You want at least 24 diapers for a newborn. Mixing and matching types of diapers is also a very good idea. Because that way you can find what will work for you.
I think almost everyone says I need prefolds and covers to at least try, especially for a newborn. LOL! What kind of covers are easiest? I really like the look/feel of Thirsties diapers, so maybe their covers? And do you snappi the prefold? Ahhhh, maybe I'm just so lazy that I keep gravitating towards pockets and AIO's. LOL!

May 18th, 2011, 09:54 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Merridith View Post
I think almost everyone says I need prefolds and covers to at least try, especially for a newborn. LOL! What kind of covers are easiest? I really like the look/feel of Thirsties diapers, so maybe their covers? And do you snappi the prefold? Ahhhh, maybe I'm just so lazy that I keep gravitating towards pockets and AIO's. LOL!
My favorite cover are the Thirsties Duo Covers. As for snappis, again it depends on you. In my house, dh is the snappi person and I am the pin person. I cannot get a good fit with a snappi and dh cannot get a good fit with pins . Also, I know a many people that fold the prefold in thirds and lay it in the cover and put it on the baby that way.

May 18th, 2011, 09:55 AM
I agree that 24 is a good minimum number for newborn diapers
I always use a snappi with newborns, if you just trifold you will have leaks of poo on the covers and will need far more covers. In fact, I always use the jelly roll fold on prefolds for a newborn, to help hold everything in.
I have not bought everything in my stash yet, I have it all budgeted out and it won't all be bought until sometime in late July. But, when its all bought, I will take pics. I also love to see stash pics, especially when its itty bitty newborn fluff!

May 18th, 2011, 09:56 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Sounds good but I have no idea - I just used sposies for a month until my DD fit into her OS. She would have fit in them sooner too, but I just didn't even think to try them on her!

I'm a prefold failure. Too complicated for me!!

Thanks to Mom2*Lauryn*Jacob* for this beautiful sig!

May 18th, 2011, 10:24 AM
DS is in Cloth but i didnt start till he was 15months, so CDing a newborn is a whole new ball game... I also dont care for prefolds for him, just to hard to put on a active toddler. But since newborns go through so many diapers, i thought it was a good way to build up a stash. We will use prefolds mainly for at home. Plus i have heard they are trim, and thats very important to me i HATE bulk. I LOVE fuzizbunz, my all time fav dipe.. And someone asked about covers, i too love the thirsties covers! I was hoping to trifold, but i guess it will be trial and error once baby is here to see what works best... And yes my babies are in the 6-7lb range and grow slowly so i should get good use out of my newborn stash. I may get a few lil Joyes too, and maybe the new grovia AIO NB, we will see. Im trying to stay on a budget, which you all know is not easy

May 18th, 2011, 11:38 AM
thepinkleprechaun's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via MSN to thepinkleprechaun
If you want to trifold the prefolds I would probably say get twice as many covers as you think you need! Newborns poop so often and it's usually a big mess so the inside of the cover is going to get dirty and you're going to be washing them all the time.

that's why I like fitteds so much for the newborn stage...they keep the poop in!
May 18th, 2011, 12:54 PM
Veteran
What is a jelly roll fold?

I am seriously contemplating cd'ing my baby....I did it for the last year my son was in diapers and I only used fuzzibunz. At the time, I didn't realize there were so many choices!!! What do you guys use for the diaper pail? I used a whammi wet bag that I hung on the door knob. One of my friends uses a rubber made bin with soapy water in it....and what are you guys using to wash your dipes?

A big thank you to GraysMama for my gorgeous siggie!

Mama to one great kid through the miracle of adoption and one through the miracle of birth.
May 18th, 2011, 02:27 PM
You should not use a wet pail for PUL diapers - but you can use it for prefolds and inserts if you want. I use a regular garbage pail with a Blueberry pail liner - I also have a planet wise hanging wetbag that hangs on the doorknob. I will also be buying one of the Rumparooz standing pail bags - to use for baby diapers when I am staying on the couch alot (recovering from my c-section).
the jelly roll fold is when you roll the sides in instead of folding them - you can do a search for it on Youtube I bet, and see how it is done.

May 18th, 2011, 02:35 PM
We also just use a pail liner(planet wise) in a reg plastic garbage can.. Will prob get another one for babys dipes or a hanging bag for the bedroom.. I just use reg tide liquid to wash my dipes, and it works great..

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search