Eggs in a Basket ~ semi fancy style.

Forum: 2011 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2011 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
May 22nd, 2011, 09:50 AM
Mom to minions's Avatar Super Mommy
*Note: The cheese and Basil is not part of the simple recipe, but I added it.

2 slices of bread with an egg sized hole cut out
Shredded cheese
fresh sliced basil
1 large eggs
butter - A pad of butter for each side.

Get your fry pan nice and hot. Add the butter to it. Let the slice of butter melt into and then place down your fist slice of bread. quickly add your cheese to the top of the bread (not the hole) and your Basil. If some fall down into the hole, do not worry. Place the other half of bread on top. Fry the bread until it is a little darker than you prefer your grilled cheese. Pick up bread on a spachula and put in your second pad of butter. Once melted, flip the bread/egg into the pan. Cook till bread is toasted.

Let cool for a minute and eat. Mmmm....

*You can also scramble your egg for the center. I do that for my minions.

*also I have noticed that if you let the bread get a little darker, but not burnt, it tastes even better, even though I do not prefer my grilled cheese or toast that dark.

*you can butter the bred itself but I have gotten better results and flavor with letting it melt in the pan.
Pork (Laurence) 9/09 ~ 8lbs 3oz @ 36 1/2 weeks
2 angels in heaven 10/06 and 01/11
May 27th, 2011, 01:36 AM
Alaska-Su's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
When I can eat eggs again I'll totally try this.

And seeing this reminds me of something I was watching a few weeks ago but I can't remember what the heck it was! All I know is that some woman was saved by some guy or kidnapped or something, but the guy she had to stay with wasn't bad or anything. She woke up one morning to him making eggs in a basket.

When she was able to go home, the first morning back the guy who was at her place or something was making the same thing and it made her smile because I think she'd come to like the other guy or something.

Urgh! It's bugging me I can't remember.

Thanks Tasha_Mae for my siggy!!

May 31st, 2011, 04:19 PM
was is "V"? The man who was good, but kept her captive wore a mask? and used a lot of words that started with a v?

That movie actually made me look up how to make them. lol I worked as a shift manager at a video store when that movie came out. I watched a TON of movies back then....
May 31st, 2011, 06:00 PM
Haha I remember what movie it was just before I saw your post! lol It was. I watched it like two or so months ago with FOB.

It looks good and seems like a much easier way to make an egg sandwich. I don't care for egg sandwiches as much as I did as a kid, but they're still good from time to time. Don't know when my egg aversion will end but when it does and I feel like eggs I'm trying this.

And isn't it funny how movies and shows will do that to you? I learned how to make melon bread (though it's not exactly how they do it in Japan) because I kept seeing it on anime and it sounded delicious and it IS! It's so addictive!

June 1st, 2011, 06:26 AM
lol beware food you see in animes. It can become an obsession. lol I ate a lot of onigiri for several weeks this pregnancy and now I cannot touch it. :-(
June 1st, 2011, 03:46 PM
I've had onigiri once before and it was pretty good, though it looked nothing like the stuff you see in pictures or anime. The guy who made it is half or 1/4 Japanese from his mom's side and she taught him how to make them. He wrapped them completely in the seaweed stuff.

I've tried making them but I didn't do it right so they didn't turn out well. Meh.

I've also made dango and daifuku. The dango only turned out right the first time I made it. But it was only good with the caramel sprinkles I put on it. I did others with cinnamon and sugar but the sugar didn't stick so I'll have to use powdered sugar next time.

The daifuku always turn out great. I make them with a cheesecake filling. I just get the Philadelphia Cheese Cake filling that's in a tub at the store and take a little out and mix it with stuff. I've only eaten the ones I made with green tea and the ones with cinnamon and chocolate. But I did make some blueberry cheesecake filling and a pineapple one.

Last edited by Alaska-Su; June 1st, 2011 at 03:49 PM.
June 2nd, 2011, 05:29 AM
Maybe you rinsed your rice to much? Or used long grain rice? I have always had great luck with onigiri. I don't always wrap mine in Nori (seaweed) There some some sweet dried pork shavings I picked up. Or sometimes none... and I have also used rice seasoning when I went to the oriental store 45 minutes away.
June 2nd, 2011, 12:02 PM
Haha yeah, nori, I wasn't sure if that's what the stuff used was called.

Have you ever had a pickled plum? I want to try one.

Hehe I couldn't use pork shavings, sounds too weird to me for some reason. Though I'd totally do some smoked salmon or put some chicken in there.

June 2nd, 2011, 06:00 PM
it was odd. it was dried and sweet... but not like ham.

Anyway, no. I always forget to pick some up when I go to the oriental market. I should make a list next time.... I just picked up some pickled radish.
June 2nd, 2011, 10:26 PM
Ooo I LOVE pickled radish! So sweet and yummy! At least it tastes kinda sweet to me lol. That's the yellow stuff right? Seems like someone told me that was pickled radish.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search