Blankies and Stuffed Animals

Forum: 2011 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2011 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
May 23rd, 2011, 01:26 AM
Alaska-Su's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
This if for both those with kids already and soon to be first time mommies.

Inspiration for this came from the pacifier thread. XP

So for those with kids, did any of them have a blanket or stuffed animal they just had to sleep with every night? Do they still have to have it to sleep? If they did and you broke them of it, I'm interested in knowing why. If you haven't broken them of it, why?

For those going to be first timers, will you allow your child to sleep with a blankie or stuffed animal for as long as they want or will you break them of it after a while if they start out with them?

I won't make them quit before they are ready. As they get older they'll decide how they want to do it. I'm really free with stuff like this because my middle sister has a blanket that she's had since she was just a baby. It's almost in pieces now but she still has it. She's had to work it around her husband because he got jealous of the blanket since she used it as a comfort thing so now she just keeps it under her pillow to hold onto at night.

And me, I still sleep with a Teddy Bear. I've had him since two weeks before I turned 1. I'll never stop sleeping with him and any guy that doesn't like that doesn't deserve me. I figured out how to work Teddy around any guy I date but sleeping arrangements are a whole other story. I HAVE to sleep with Teddy or else I get awful nightmares. Not to mention I can't sleep without something in my arms.

Thanks Tasha_Mae for my siggy!!

May 23rd, 2011, 03:55 AM
Kittynoah's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
DS just has to have a soft fleece blanket. He doesn't care which one -it just has to be soft because he cuddles with it. Right now he still needs his paci too - but hopefully in a couple of weeks that will be gone.

I won't take away a blanket - but I do want to take away the paci before he gets super, super attached. Plus, I would like him to be off the paci before this next baby arrives.

May 23rd, 2011, 04:20 AM
Mega Super Mommy
DD had a paci and a blanky. The paci is gone. The blanky she just snuggles up with to sleep with. I don't see any harm in her having a special blanket she sleeps with. She leaves it at home when we go places and only uses it at night. Now if she weree trying to take it everywhere we went that would be a problem. I figure she will give it up here soon.

May 23rd, 2011, 04:56 AM
Mom to minions's Avatar Super Mommy
They use to sleep with Paci's (I call them Tuggies). But 2 love knit blankets and one loves his blue bear. I did n to allow them to sleep with blankets thought till they were older... and even was careful about the bear till Laurence was a little older too. I know some moms give them to the babies right away to sleep with, but that is not exactly safe.

Edited in:
I am not trying to be cranky, sorry. We know a teen mom who ignores all and her 1 month old sleeps with a heavy blanket because "he is cold" and some other things that make me want to cringe. I thank god they have the movement monitor. Apparently it goes off quite a bit at her place but never when her mom has the baby (On the weekends) Hmm... I wonder why.... But she feels she knows best. I feel bad for the baby. He is loved, but his mom is not the best on decisions. lol and then tells me how to parent my 3... Hahahaha
Pork (Laurence) 9/09 ~ 8lbs 3oz @ 36 1/2 weeks
2 angels in heaven 10/06 and 01/11

Last edited by Mom to minions; May 23rd, 2011 at 05:50 AM.
May 23rd, 2011, 05:42 AM
Cheshire's Avatar Mommy to three beauties!
My oldest did blankets. I just threw one of them away because she'd had it since she was a baby and the fuzzballs were getting caught in her hair all the time. I explained to her that she's a big girl and the blanket is falling apart, she understood and let it be.

May 23rd, 2011, 06:26 AM
Sassafrass's Avatar Running Mamma
All of my kids have had a 'sucky' blanket. My 6yr old still lugs his when he is home. And it is so ratty looking!

Brady('97)
Olivia('98)
Gavin('00)
Jaiden('03)
Gage('05)
Sloan('10)
Silas('11)
and 3 in my heart(3/13, 6/13 & 9/13)

Cautiously expecting our precious rainbow baby 02/18/15

May 23rd, 2011, 06:34 AM
missy123's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I am 42 years old and still have my blankie and very first stuffed animal. It is a pink doggie... You can tell it is aged I am a huge blankie person though. I have a hello kitty blankie that I bring with me when I travel out of town.

My oldest loved his blankie until he was 10. The other 2 not so much. I see no harm in it if it makes them happy.

Pregnancy Loss April 2009, September 2010
CP 10/2008, 1/3/11 {missing my babies every single day}Mommy to 4 Children - 3 boys ages 22, 21 and 18 & baby Scarlett
After 2.5 years TTC with 4 losses our Family was given the gift of Miss Scarlett
Do not ever give up hope...

Miss Scarlett... Our miracle girl still brings happy tears to my eyes.

May 23rd, 2011, 08:22 AM
cydonia1978's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I had a little yellow knit blanket with a satin edge that I had to rub to get to sleep at night. I had that thing for a LONG time.. I really don't know when I finally put it into storage. I was still living at home, but it was a while. At some point my mom told me I could still have it but I couldn't drag it around everywhere, and I was fine with that. I just wanted to sleep with it. I even took it on sleepovers and Girl Guide camping trips - tucked at the bottom of my sleeping bag until I wanted it!

I don't think there's anything wrong with a cherished blanket or stuffed toy unless it's falling apart and not able to be repaired. And I think by a certain age it shouldn't be carried around anymore, but can still have an honored spot at home. I really don't know what age that would start at though.. I'm guessing waiting until they're well past the SIDS risk age? They can't have any stuffed animals or extra things at all in the crib until then anyway.

May 23rd, 2011, 10:49 AM
promises1's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
My DD has a monkey that she has been attached to since she was 8 months old. She used to take him eveywhere but once she got older (now 4) she only sleeps with him. She never used a pacifier but she sucks on her middle and ring finger and I can not get her to stop! I almost wish she had a pacifier so I could just throw it away.

May 23rd, 2011, 12:05 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via Yahoo to rancherandcitygal
I would never take a away a blanket or an animal. I still have some of mine from when I was little. I don't really like them leaving the house so that there is no chance of them being lost.

May 23rd, 2011, 01:28 PM
Alaska-Su's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
@Mom to minions: I understand the chick's thinking about the baby being cold, but I totally would not ignore the whole, no heavy blankets, pillows, or stuffed toys until a certain age.

I'm going to have to invest in some warm pjs for my baby if I'm still at my mom's place when it's born. Right now the room is around 72 degrees which is nice. But in the winter it stays at 68 which becomes so cold once you've gotten used to it. And then there are those horrible days when the temp goes below -30F and the hot water heater doesn't want to work right cause it's so cold (new house so my mom's husband is still trying to fix the bugs). This past winter I had to sleep with an electric blanket for my legs and feet, a heavy blanket, a comforter, and then a quilt. Even on days when the room was at 68F. Once it got below 59F in my room and that was awful.

Thanks Tasha_Mae for my siggy!!

May 23rd, 2011, 03:06 PM
katiep726's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I still sleep with a teddy bear, even though it is not the same one I had when I was little. I think if it's something they carry around I will make them keep it at home once they're 3-4 or getting close to school aged. As far as just sleeping with it, what's the harm? I actually didn't start sleeping my my special bear until I was 7 or 8!

Thank you Vicki... For the adorable siggy!
May 23rd, 2011, 04:00 PM
hearts.0nfire's Avatar STPR lover
Darcy hasn't picked up on anything yet (though she's still really young to) but if she has something or the bean does they can sleep with it as long as they want to. I had a pillow case that was my comfort and I slept with it until about 6 years ago.

May 23rd, 2011, 04:32 PM
Platinum Supermommy
I love sleeping with stuffed animals so does dd. There is a speciality shop somewhere in Ohio that makes the blanket stuffy things, for every baby my aunt buys the baby on Sara got a white bunny that has a pink blanket, it is silk on one side and velvety on the other that is her favorite! I hope that she keeps it forever.

My cousin on the other hand hated hers because of the "risk" it imposed on her baby. IDK I don't put stuffies in the crib right away but I did let her sleep with them during the day when I was able to check on her frequently.
May 23rd, 2011, 07:09 PM
Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to Lilysmama
My DD has a blankie that she is attached to. She started becoming attached around 10-11 months. She doesn't drag it around everywhere, and we do not bring it out of the house unless we are going somewhere overnight. She just needs it to sleep. I am fine with her having it for as long as she wants. I see no harm.

May 24th, 2011, 05:06 AM
~* Helen *~'s Avatar A Prince And 2 Princess's
Ryan didn't have anything .. but to get to sleep he always had to have a fleece blnaket on his head .. used to frighten the life out of me but thats the only way he could get off to sleep lol .. he started doing this form about 10 months old .. I used to wait til he was asleep and take it off tho.

Chloe has a pink .. well it was pink .. its now a light shade of grey lol bunny .. shes had it since birth and loves it .. it goes EVERYWHERE with her!!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search