Positive Antibody Screen?

Forum: 2011 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2011 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
May 25th, 2011, 06:15 AM
Mega Super Mommy
I just got a call from the drs and they said they want to draw some more blood because I had my antibody screen come back positive? Ive never had a blood transfusion which is why it brings up a concern but she said not to freak out... I have no idea what this means though so I still kind of am lol. Any knowledge on this would be appreciated!
May 25th, 2011, 06:19 AM
TheOnlyPink's Avatar .... In a house of blue!
It means that you and the baby could have mismatched blood. Rh Incompatibility this explains it pretty well. Its nothing to worry about, just means that you'll need a shot maybe twice throughout the pregnancy.

May 25th, 2011, 06:20 AM
jessicab25's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via ICQ to jessicab25
Whats your blood type?

If shes rh- and it came back + that means shes already made antibodies towards rh+ blood and shots are no good.
May 25th, 2011, 06:28 AM
Mega Super Mommy
I am A+ i believe. I know for sure I am A
May 25th, 2011, 06:30 AM
If your a+ then i don't understand the positive antibodies screen. You should call back and ask for which test and your blood type to be positive.
May 25th, 2011, 06:33 AM
Mega Super Mommy
well they are asking me to give more blood and they will tell me in a few days
May 25th, 2011, 06:40 AM
I would want to know what for though. I know they want to run more test but for me i'd want to know evrything going on not just part of it ya know? G'luck. I pray its not bc your rh- that would be bad for pregnancys after this one if you are infact sensitized(sp?). I always get my shots even if its nothing to do with baby i dont want to risk the chance. I've been getting shots since i was 18 more than 2 a pregnancy.)
May 25th, 2011, 06:41 AM
ratladee's Avatar Madison Marie, My Sweet P
Rh is completely different then an antibody screen. An antibody screen, screens your blood for antibodies, you pair your cells with known antibody serum and if you get agglutination(clotting) it is positive. Or you pair your serum with known antigens from cells. I do this at work. The antibody screen is for incase you were to need a blood transfusion they could more carefully match you to someone who has the same antibodies as you so you don't get a reaction. Which could be minimal, or deadly depending on the antibody/antigen.

Rh is the positive or negative you have on your blood. If you are positive you can recieve ngative blood, if you are negative you can recieve positive blood if you are male but not female. If you have negative blood, like myself, and your husband has positive blood, you will have a chance of conceiving a positive baby. Now your first baby has less of a risk for reactions due to blood type, but the second one is who you worry most about, you have now gained antibodies to the previous baby's positive blood and now your current baby is now begin attacked by your antibodies because your body thinks its foreign. And that is called hemolytic disease of the newborn. That usually has a higher death rate.

May 25th, 2011, 06:41 AM
Tbh, i'm guessing it was a mistake. If you havent had a baby, a blood transfusion, miscarriage or abortion, i'm not sure how else you could have gotten the antibodies.

May 25th, 2011, 06:42 AM
OurSweetLabs's Avatar I LOVE My Boys!!
Antibody for what ?

Good Luck Waiting

May 25th, 2011, 06:52 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Hmm. I don't have much advice. I am RH- and my first baby was negative, 2nd baby positive, but I did have the Rhogam shot.

I hope everything turns out ok for you. Try not to worry!
May 25th, 2011, 06:53 AM
Also, don't be so worried over this antibody, antibodies are GOOD. It means you've been exposed to something, millions of things each day and your body faught the antigen and won. Making your body stronger. If you are healthy and ok be glad, everyone has antibodies, and when you BF you pass on those antbodies to your baby making your baby just as strong as you are so no worries. Your doc is just taking precautions incase you DO need a transfusion.

May 25th, 2011, 06:56 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Thanks! Well I know that I was coombs positive as a baby, I had too much of my moms O+ blood and my body didnt react well too that.... so Im honestly wondering if that has anything to do with it. Im trying not to worry lol but telling someone there is "no cause for concern.. but" is not exactly the most reassuring I will give all the blood in the world as long as it means my baby is okay!
May 25th, 2011, 07:05 AM
That's probably it then. Coombs is a check cell, it's the last thing you mix the serum with and if it clots then that means whatever they were testing for truly was negative. For example, antibody screening, you check initial spin, mixing serum and known cells (Red blood cells) and if its negative, cool, on to the next test, wash the cells three times, mix another sera and heat it up to body temp for 15 minutes, spin again to see if it's a warm antigen, if thats negative you wash again and add another sera, if that too is negative you then use coombs check cells, which should be positive, if it is not your test was invalid.

May 25th, 2011, 08:58 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ratladee View Post
Also, don't be so worried over this antibody, antibodies are GOOD. It means you've been exposed to something, millions of things each day and your body faught the antigen and won. Making your body stronger.
If its a good thing then how come they are happier to see antibodies negative on the blood test results? I went for my midwife appointment on monday and she said "negative antibody screen, thats good" I know they test for antibodies to loads of different diseases, cos i have a page full of those too, but on the one that says my blood type it just says "A rh D positive, antibody negative". I was under the impression that it refered to rh antibodies.
Sorry if i sound like a smart ***, i'm genuinely curious!

May 25th, 2011, 09:03 AM
It just makes it easier to find a match to transfuse blood if you are negative across the board, while have a positive screen isn't a bad thing if you are healthy it just means they have to take the extra time to find extra compatable blood types for you, thats when cross matching comes into play. You take your red cells and mix it with the donors serum, if it agglutinates, its either due to ABO or RH, OR antibodies, you want no clotting when mixing a prospective donor and recipient.

May 25th, 2011, 09:13 AM
ok, thanks for explaining it! i thought it was purely the Rh thing!

May 25th, 2011, 09:19 AM
Here is a link that further explains what I was saying, now I was explaining antibody screens under a general sense, not for prenatal. Not that its any different, but the antibody they may be talking about IS the potential antibody that has been made due to an Rh mismatch during pregnancy, now if thats the case I don't know if rhogam will still work or not, I'm pretty sure it might but don't quote me. Not much experiance myself with that, learned about it, forgot it. But will have to go through it since I am O neg and hubby is O pos.
Pregnancy & Prenatal Testing: Antibody Screen

May 25th, 2011, 09:40 AM
LookingGlassAlice's Avatar Pagan FTM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ratladee View Post
Here is a link that further explains what I was saying, now I was explaining antibody screens under a general sense, not for prenatal. Not that its any different, but the antibody they may be talking about IS the potential antibody that has been made due to an Rh mismatch during pregnancy, now if thats the case I don't know if rhogam will still work or not, I'm pretty sure it might but don't quote me. Not much experiance myself with that, learned about it, forgot it. But will have to go through it since I am O neg and hubby is O pos.
Pregnancy & Prenatal Testing: Antibody Screen
When should this be done?
More fundamental than religion is our basic human spirituality. We have a basic human disposition towards love, kindness and affection, irrespective of whether we have a religious framework or not. When we nurture this most basic human resource when we set about cultivating those basic inner values which we all appreciate in others, then we start to live spiritually. - Dalai Lama

[/url]
May 25th, 2011, 10:39 AM
Mega Super Mommy
They should automatically do it when they take your blood at your first prenatal appt.

Ratladee, I take it you are a clinical pathologist of some sort? I REALLY appreciate the information you gave me. I totally forgot to mention to my doctor that I had Coombs Jaundice as a baby, so when I go in I will just let them know.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search