Breast Pump Questions

Forum: 2011 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2011 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
May 26th, 2011, 02:43 PM
Super Mommy
Hello Ladies, I am new to this whole being a mom/pregnant/breast feeding/ everything and I was just wondering what your opinions are on the breast pumps? Double or Single? Brands? Bottle/Nipple brands, etc. I am so overwhelmed with the choices and everything. PLease HELP!!
May 26th, 2011, 04:14 PM
promises1's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I used the Evenflo double breast pump. It was cheap and it worked really well for me and I used it alot!

May 26th, 2011, 05:33 PM
Regular
I use the Medela pump in style double breast pump. Its kind of spendy but worth every penny. I've used mine for 2 kids now and will use it for this one too. So I figure that $300 I spent was well worth not having to buy formula . Also I like the Avent bottles.
May 26th, 2011, 09:16 PM
Carey
I have the Medela single pump but will be purchasing the Medela In Style Double this time around I think. I never imagined DD refusing to latch after 3 months last time so I thought I would not be doing much pumping. This time I'll be prepared in case it happens again.

I loved the Medela single pump. It was really effective, gentle (for something designed for its purpose), and durable. I'll keep it as a backup/short-trip travel pump.

Last time, I used Soothie bottles, but DD would drink out of any bottle I gave her. This time, I'm just looking for BPA free (I think all are now) that hopefully I can get on sale or with a coupon. That would be awesome.

May 27th, 2011, 05:03 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via Yahoo to heartsleeve71
Stopping by from December. Last baby i used Medela double and it was awesome. You don't want to spend your whole day pumping so the faster you can get it done the better. You can find a used Medela from 50-150 on craigslist or ebay vs 279 new. I recommend craigslist somewhere in your area so you can inspect it first. You just have to get new tubing and supply kit which you can actually request from the hospital when you have the baby! Just tell them you want to try pumping and they will bring you one then you get to keep all the tubing etc to use on yours at home!!!
May 27th, 2011, 05:46 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via Yahoo to countryjewelsc
I have a Medela Pump In Style, i bought one used on ebay for $100, i loved it! We liked the Breastflow bottles by First Years, it's supposed to be a lot like us because it uses suction and compression to get the milk out, unlike a regular bottle which mainly uses suction.

www.facebook.com/babylovecustoms, specializing in custom embroidery for children.

Make a pregnancy ticker
May 27th, 2011, 06:52 AM
Kittynoah's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I am going to rent a hospital grade pump for the first month to try before I actually buy a pump. I am to scared to get a used one - because the Medela pumps are not a fully "closed" system and someone else's milk could actually be in the mechanics of the pump. There are several brands that are made for multiple users and have a closed system - I think the Ameda pumps are like that. If I bought used I would wnat one that had a closed system unless it was from someone I knew (like my sister).

I had a horrible time with breastfeeding my son. I produced absolutely no milk. He was literally starving. I tried lots of pumping, meds, everything - and ended up switching to formula.

So this time I am just going to spend 50 bucks and rent the pump from the hospital before I spend 300 on a permanent one.

I do think it depends on what your plans are. I will be going back to work and need to pump at work, so a double electric is what I need. If you are staying at home and really won't be away from your baby much, you probably could just get a manual pump for occasional pumping. Check with your insurance - some of them will cover part or all of the cost of some pumps.

Last edited by Kittynoah; May 27th, 2011 at 06:54 AM.
May 27th, 2011, 07:14 AM
Mega Super Mommy
i bought the Medela pump in style double breast pump. All the part are replacable if you do buy it used. The only part that connects the the machine is the air tube. Ive been told if you are only pumping, or mostly pump then its best to use a double pump because it helps keep your supply up.
May 27th, 2011, 08:45 AM
Super Mommy
Thank you ladies! I have been looking at the medela pumps and really like them. I looked on ebay and found one for $50 vs. $329. I think I will wait until I am actually a little closer and see if someone gets me one off my registry.

I will be a stay at home mom for the first few months and then will go back to work. But I don't necessarily want to breastfeed in public and I go out a lot with my mom...So I think electronic is def. the way to go and def. a double.

My other question is, if my mom had a really hard time breastfeeding, does that mean I will?
May 27th, 2011, 09:10 AM
Mom to minions's Avatar Super Mommy
Medela... I LOVE my Medela. I have an old hospital pump. lol You can sometimes find them on Craigslist for cheap. You can still find the kit for it too. I think mine is the old Lactina? It is the blue brick. Haha. It put up with the minions knocking it over and standing on it. It can go double or single.

I had the battery (or cord) Medela one meant for travel. It is a single. A little on the loud side and it is a single. It runs $60? It said not for every day use, but with #2 I used it a LOT. It finally died with #3. Not that bad for something like that. It was very small.
Pork (Laurence) 9/09 ~ 8lbs 3oz @ 36 1/2 weeks
2 angels in heaven 10/06 and 01/11
May 27th, 2011, 09:57 AM
SoCaliMommy's Avatar Super Mommy
I have a Medela pump in style double breast pump that i plan on using, i got it from a family member.

With my daughter i used a Avent Isis Manual Breast Pump like this oneAvent_Isis_Manual_Breast_Pump it worked pretty good for the amount of pumping i did, which wasn't every day pumping.

May 27th, 2011, 12:15 PM
Mega Super Mommy
my mother tried brestfeeding both of us and couldnt. It kinda depends on what her problem was and how hard she tried. There is more help and support out there for us then there was for your mom. You could have no problem at all.
May 27th, 2011, 05:20 PM
Regular
My mom had trouble breastfeeding but back then my mom said they were actually encouraging moms to formula feed. She said she didn't try to hard. I had zero problems with dd (my first) but had alot of problems with ds (second child). He kept putting his tongue to the roof of his mouth and wasn't able to swallow anything. My hospital provided lactation consultants on an out-patient basis and they helped me work with him. 2 weeks later he was feeding like a champ and we never looked back. So I would say no / even if your mom had problems it won't necessarily mean you will

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search