Will your kids be present for the birth?

Forum: 2011 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2011 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
May 27th, 2011, 05:30 AM
10x_A_Mommy's Avatar formerly mom_of_8
Anyone having their kids there with them? I would Love to have my 15 year old daughter attend. I tried to talk her into it last time and she didn't want to. I keep dropping hints this time too but she's not for it. A couple of my younger kids want to be there but I'd rather them not. I don't have anyone there that could take them from the room if it got to be too much for them.

I'm still going to try to talk my oldest into it, I think it would really be a good experience for her AND good birth control lol. My sister was there for my first birth and she was 16 at the time, she said seeing that was what made her wait til she was 26 to have her first lol. Then again, my first was a very traumatic birth.

I think I might however run the webcam on my laptop during the birth and let the kids watch from home. It'll be fun for them to learn the gender the same time we do and since the webcam will be stationary they won't get any up close views.
Tristan ~ lost 2/6/03 @ 20 weeks

May 27th, 2011, 06:44 AM
tasha221's Avatar Veteran
Send a message via AIM to tasha221 Send a message via MSN to tasha221
I was thinking about it so I let my kids watch a live birth and they all said there is NO WAY they are gonna be there. They just think its a bloody mess. lol My oldest said he doesn't wanna watch me poop so why would he want to watch me poop out a baby.....I don't think he gets it. lol
May 27th, 2011, 06:52 AM
Aidan~N~Haileys Mama's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Absolutely not!! He's only going to be 3 when this baby is born, so i don't want him to scare with me screaming (if i do) and being in pain, plus I don't want to worry about him running around my hospital room while I'm trying to push the baby out. So he'll be with family or a friend until after the baby is born and than he'll come in and meet his brother/sister.

May 27th, 2011, 06:56 AM
Kittynoah's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Nope. DS will only be 18 months and will have no clue what is happening. He will stay with family while I'm in the hospital - but will definitely come for a visit! I don't want to be away for him for several days. Plus, I want him to meet his baby sister!

May 27th, 2011, 07:04 AM
Yeah there's no way I could handle all my kids messing with everything in the room while I'm trying to focus on labor lol. That's the main reason I won't try for the homebirth that I so badly want. I Need a dim, peaceful environment to labor in and home is none of those lol.

I'm really considering the webcam thing though, I'll probably have my daughter keep the volume off at home though until the baby is actually being born - I'll have my dh call home when it's time so the kids can watch if they want and hear the gender announcement. That is, if it's during the day anyway.

May 27th, 2011, 07:12 AM
*Tracy*'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
nope lol they will be with family while i give birth

May 27th, 2011, 07:19 AM
Sassafrass's Avatar Running Mamma
I am having a home birth so yes, they will be here.

Last time my three oldest were in the room(Olivia was beside the birth pool and the boys stood far back enough to see me, but not see exactly what was going on), and the two younger boys were in bed. But once he was born, they were all right around the pool.

This time with Sloan being so little still, Im not sure what we will be doing with him. Im hoping maybe it will be when he is sleeping(either nap, or bedtime). I have a few months to decide what will go on. Im sure I will have someone around that can help keep him occupied.

Brady('97)
Olivia('98)
Gavin('00)
Jaiden('03)
Gage('05)
Sloan('10)
Silas('11)
and 3 in my heart(3/13, 6/13 & 9/13)

Cautiously expecting our precious rainbow baby 02/18/15

May 27th, 2011, 10:06 AM
pamelah1121's Avatar Regular
I've been thinking a lot about this lately. Is 11 too young to be in the room? DD is so excited about the baby and everything and wants to go to Dr appts and all but they have a no children policy. Will they even allow an 11 year old in the room during birthing?
I'm with u momma2seven i think it will be great birth control as well as a great bonding experience! I think the web cam is a great idea! Would be great for my 14 and 21 yo sons.
May 27th, 2011, 10:39 AM
Mega Super Mommy
We are not sure what to do about the kids. We are having a home birth and although I don't want them in the room during labour I would like them to be in the room just as baby is being delivered. My oldest is super sensitive and I think it would bother him to be in the house if I am screaming or loud, but I don't want him to be too far away so he can be there as soon as baby is delivered. Hopefully I labour and give birth in the middle of the night so the boys can stay asleep till the end.
May 27th, 2011, 01:08 PM
Crystal423's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Probably not. We'll either have my dad or SIL watch Bella since she is only 3 and will get bored easily at the hospital.

Thank you *Kiliki* for my wonderful siggy!
May 27th, 2011, 01:34 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by pamelah1121 View Post
I've been thinking a lot about this lately. Is 11 too young to be in the room? DD is so excited about the baby and everything and wants to go to Dr appts and all but they have a no children policy. Will they even allow an 11 year old in the room during birthing?
I'm with u momma2seven i think it will be great birth control as well as a great bonding experience! I think the web cam is a great idea! Would be great for my 14 and 21 yo sons.
The hospital I deliver at has a "policy" of no more than 2 people in the room, but my midwife will let 20 in there if you want, as long as they are being respectful and not getting in the way. So it really depends on your Dr. And if you want your son in there and the doc says no, well he can't physically remove him from the room or deny you giving birth lol.

I think 11 is an ok age, it all depends on the child though. Some 11 year olds could handle it better than a 20 year old, while other 11 year olds may not. Same goes for any age really.

May 27th, 2011, 02:07 PM
Mega Super Mommy
my husband wouldnt allow that
all my kids are still young though(6,4,2)
they will come in right after to see baby and will be the first ones to see him/her
May 27th, 2011, 02:08 PM
Veteran
Absolutely not. My kids will be 7, 5 and 2. You never know what is going to happen in there and if all doesn't go as planned, it can get scary. This happened with my son (now 4) and my husband, a FP doctor was even disturbed with all the monitors, doctors, special care nurses etc. It is all a little blurry to me, but he told me there were over 20 people in the room when he was born.
May 27th, 2011, 04:02 PM
~* Helen *~'s Avatar A Prince And 2 Princess's
Nope .. they are going to Nanny's .. they don't need to see that sort of thing yet. It wouldn't be fair to put them through that lol! The only people I like in the delvivery room is me and hubby and of course the midwife whos delivering.
May 27th, 2011, 07:40 PM
Carey
No, I think it will be better for DD (4) to come in once any excitement is over to meet her baby sister. My MIL and best friend will need something to occupy their time while they wait in the waiting room for the pushing to be over. If it takes longer than DD did to arrive, I guess someone will have DD at home until after this baby arrives. Everyone can and will be in and out visiting while I am in labor, but once I am pushing only doctors, nurses, and the two who were present at conception will be in the room.

May 28th, 2011, 04:19 AM
Mega Super Mommy
I am going to say no. I really need to talk to MIL about coming here and wathcing her. I know she would try and be on the bed with me and she would just be in the way. I would prefer her to come after I have the baby but if MIL won't come here then I might not have a choice. My MIL is kind of unreliable lol!

May 28th, 2011, 01:56 PM
krissy1989's Avatar is loving her two boys!
Caleb will still be too young. I wouldn't be able to explain to him what's going on and not to worry. He gets traumatized easily if I even yell "Ow" when I stub my toe, and starts crying. He HATES seeing me in pain, so I don't want him in the room the whole time.

LoveLove
Love
LUV LOVE YOU!!
May 28th, 2011, 03:15 PM
missy123's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I think I would feel really uncomfortable having the boys there. I am sure they will come to the hospital right after though!

Pregnancy Loss April 2009, September 2010
CP 10/2008, 1/3/11 {missing my babies every single day}Mommy to 4 Children - 3 boys ages 22, 21 and 18 & baby Scarlett
After 2.5 years TTC with 4 losses our Family was given the gift of Miss Scarlett
Do not ever give up hope...

Miss Scarlett... Our miracle girl still brings happy tears to my eyes.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search