Laying baby down after feeding

Forum: 2011 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2011 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
May 27th, 2011, 09:20 PM
Mega Super Mommy
So, Cayle will spit up if he is moved around a lot or on his back right after he eats. Sometimes he still spits up a little no matter what...even after he burps. I have read to keep your baby upright 10-15 mins after you feed them to let their tummy settle.
However, at night when I feed him before going to bed he starts falling asleep at the end of his feeding and by the time I have held him for 10-15 mins after he is fast asleep. So, I then swaddle him and put him to bed. BUT I also have read that you should put baby to bed when they are drowsy and not actually fast asleep so they can put themselves to sleep instead of depending on you to hold them until they are asleep.
I feel like I am trying to do one thing right but hurting another thing.
I don't want to lay him down right away after he eats because then he may spit up everything he just ate but I also want him to work on putting himself to sleep at night.
During the day when he naps I sometimes put him down while he is drowsy or fussy and he will fuss/cry for a few mins before going to sleep and I hate that but I guess that is ok??
I am just so lost with all of this. Being a FTM is tough!
"I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me." Phil 4:13

May 27th, 2011, 11:13 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I either hold Ethan or put him in the carseat for 10-15 minues after he eats due to the reflux so I am not sure if I am any help. Ethan throws up if I don't and then becomes so upset from the vomitting that he then is awake for an hour because he needs a bath or is screaming.
Good luck

May 28th, 2011, 05:17 AM
Super Mommy
I would say you can accomplish both goals the way you are doing it. If at naptimes you are able to lay him down drowsy and he falls asleep on his own then you know he's learning to self-soothe. I wouldn't worry about bedtime right now...it's probably more important to make sure he doesn't spit up after you lay him down. JMO

Thank you so much, Kiliki, for my gorgeous siggy!!
May 28th, 2011, 06:16 AM
SuthrnMommy's Avatar That's "Doctor" to you!
Definitely lay him down while he's drowsy, but you need some sort of incline to keep him sort of upright. You can buy these at baby stores, or do like we have done and put him in the carseat. But you may want to kick it back a little with a towel under the front of it so his chin stays off his chest while he is sleeping. Emily is prone to spitting up and did so HORRIBLY while on Nutramigen. And that stuff STANK!!! Not sure if you are BFing or not, but Enfamil makes a formula called AR with added rice starch (not rice cereal, just the starch) to help with spit up. That's what we are using to help.

Thank you for my beautiful siggy, AlexAiden Mommy!
May 28th, 2011, 06:16 AM
mrsfitz31b's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I honestly don't believe the holding them thing makes them depend on you for sleep. sometimes I rock caleb to sleep, sometimes I just stick him down when drowsy and he does it himself. If you can get the baby to sleep that's the biggest goal LOL! Hun, whatever you have to do to survive the first three months is most important and you're doing the very best you can on your own- trust me, I am there and I completely understand trying to meet all the goals and being flabbergasted by it. Caleb, now that he's a little fatter, I can just lay down after feedings. He'll spit up a little but I just wipe it up and to bed we go.

If you really want to have him do it himself, put the bouncer into the pack n play, or put something under the pack n play mattress to elevate it to keep his tummy settling. We did that for a little while at first because I could not sit up with him another 15 minutes- when we first did BFing it took him an hour. I was asleep during the feeding before him LOL

Thank you .:Shortcake:. for my awesome siggy!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search