Names - QOTD!

Forum: 2011 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2011 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
May 29th, 2011, 07:19 PM
krissy1989's Avatar is loving her two boys!
Does a name's popularity sway your opinion as to whether or not you want to use it? For instance, if you knew that a name was incredibly popular during your child's generation (as in, if it was in the Top Ten), would you decide not to use it? Or, on the flip side, if you'd never known a single person to have the same name that you wanted to use, would you not use it out of fear that people would think it was "too out there?"

The latter doesn't bother me very much, but the first part does. I guess I just don't like the possibility of my child constantly encountering his/her name. It doesn't make it an ugly name or a bad name in any way---but I guess I just want a more "individual" name, if that makes sense. My name's Krissandra, and once I hit preteen-hood, I grew to appreciate it's individuality because I've never once met another person who spelled or pronounced it the same way that I do. My son's name, Caleb, isn't that uncommon, but it's also not too common that you hear it all the time. I still encounter some people who've never heard of it before (they're usually older), which is strange to me since it's not exactly unique. LoL

LoveLove
Love
LUV LOVE YOU!!
May 29th, 2011, 07:38 PM
..Jessica..'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
For me I want something people don't come across. Every name I've thrown out gets the "oh I don't like that" well its my kid...

May 29th, 2011, 08:01 PM
krissy1989's Avatar is loving her two boys!
Jessica, my DH never likes the unique names that I suggest, and it drives me crazy! I REALLY love the name Arabella for a girl, and it's not something I've made up or anything---I've seen it a couple times since finding it a few years back. But he thinks it's too "weird" and doesn't understand why I don't just like "Isabella" instead, which is WAY more common. *sigh*

LoveLove
Love
LUV LOVE YOU!!
May 29th, 2011, 08:03 PM
Materialgirl1024's Avatar Expecting Ariya Elise
I would not pick a name if it were very popular or were in the "top ten" because I don't want my child to run into 6 other kids in a classroom who all happen to have the same name. I really liked the name Isabella/Bella but after twilight it boomed to be a very popular name and just made me want to drop it. I don't mind having out there names, to me my name is out there and lots of people cant seem to pronounce it right, and I like my children to have unique or not so common names. I would not go too crazy like Pilot Inspektor!

Quote:
Originally Posted by krissy1989 View Post
Jessica, my DH never likes the unique names that I suggest, and it drives me crazy! I REALLY love the name Arabella for a girl, and it's not something I've made up or anything---I've seen it a couple times since finding it a few years back. But he thinks it's too "weird" and doesn't understand why I don't just like "Isabella" instead, which is WAY more common. *sigh*
INDEED!! I really liked Isabel, Isabella etc but then Twilight just killed it.
May 29th, 2011, 09:12 PM
maybethistime's Avatar Super Mommy
My son's name is Caleb too, & I was shocked with how common it turned out to be. I live in an area with lots of hutterites (sorta like Amish) and they come in with their 12 kids and at least one of them is Caleb. Haha
Caleb is the only "normal" name that my husband and I actually agreed on, I like unique names that are simple to spell. My goal this time is to keep suggesting over the top names so when I slip in my names I like that are unique he will actually like them. Fingers crossed
2009/09/07 - Angel #1
2010/05/18 - Angel #2
DS born 2011
Baby #3 EDD March 3, 2014

May 29th, 2011, 09:54 PM
SouthernMamaBri's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to SouthernMamaBri Send a message via MSN to SouthernMamaBri Send a message via Skype™ to SouthernMamaBri
I want something different and rare. I don't like common names. I think it comes from that fact that about a billion different people have the name Brittany which is why I rarely use it and refer to myself as Bri.

Thanks Jaidynsmum for my AMAZING siggie!
May 29th, 2011, 11:15 PM
Leffew's Avatar is baking!
Actually, I ran into this when I was picking out a name for Bug. My mom suggested Andrew Raymond and I fell in love with it. But I looked on the top 100 list and it was #14. I didn't want any names from the top 100. Fortunately, she put Patrick (on our list already) with Raymond (my dad's middle name) and once it was said out loud, the baby went nuts and we kind of just knew that was his name. DH even said he loved it so much, he had no problem giving up a namesake.

#1 has a fairly common name, but it was for family. he was the first great- grandson, and rightfully he got my late grandfather's name.

#2... well, that ticked me off. I didn't watch much TV and apparently that was the year Rachel from Friends had a baby and named her Emma... Guess what was the #2 name that year. UGH!

#3, I'd heard her name in passing and I'd always loved it. I have a feeling her name will soon become trendy because of the artist, but I can honestly say she wasn't named after someone famous. LOL! Adele (the singer) didn't release her first song until October 07, my Adelle was born August 07! *** How fitting that I'm listening to Adele's new album now***

Popularity and trends make a HUGE difference for me picking out names. I graduated with 7 Nicoles besides myself.

<--- again!
May 30th, 2011, 02:24 AM
Alaska-Su's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Yeah I tend to stay away from really popular names. I'm not even one for classic names, even though my boy's name is William and that's a name that lasts the ages.

I agree with y'all in that I don't want my kids to end up going to school with tons of classmates with the same name.

Oddly enough, my name, Sarah, is always in the top 100 but I've only met 2 girls in my school years with that name and one was called by her middle name, Alicia, and the other was never in any of my classes, but she was on my team (a set of core subject teachers). Her name is spelled without the H and I couldn't stand how much of a b*tch she was so I get really annoyed when people assume my name has no H. Besides, with the H is the English spelling. Without it is the spelling from other languages.

So yeah, it does affect the way I choose names.

Thanks Tasha_Mae for my siggy!!

May 30th, 2011, 05:17 AM
Mega Super Mommy
I definetly stay away from popular ones. I always look up 2 or 3 lists and check where it is on each one. DH on the other hand always picks the most common ones. It drives me nuts as we can never decide on a name lol!!

May 30th, 2011, 07:34 AM
babyB No.1's Avatar Super Mommy
I can't say that I am hard-over on the"it can't be a popular name ". Of course I would rather not have my child have the same name as every other child, but if there is a name for the right reason (you just fall in love with it or it's a family thing) I think I wouldn't be opposed.
We don't know what LO will be yet, nor have we decided on a name (it sure wont be easy cause we can't seem to agree).
Are you telling your families the sex and the name or the names but not the sex? We decided to tell the sex but not the name. That way people don't say "I don't like that" and make you feel bad and there still is a secret until birth.

May 30th, 2011, 07:38 AM
katiep726's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I really like unique names but not TOO unique. I have always wanted to name a daughter McKinley and call her Kinley. McKinley is my middle name, my dad's middle name, and my great-grandfather's first name. Turns out now Kinley is kind of a popular name for girls!! McKenzie was so popular when I was growing up so McKinley was pretty unique.

My name is Katie which is extremely popular and I would love a more unique name. My younger brother is Dolan because it's my mom's maiden name and I love how different it is. And it just fits him!

We've decided on Carter for a boy... I really love it even though I know it's popular it's not TOO popular.

Thank you Vicki... For the adorable siggy!
May 30th, 2011, 07:52 AM
katiep726's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I had to add this since of course after reading this post I went and looked at the top 100 names list for boys and girls!!

Kinley wasn't on there. But what's funny is originally we said Connor Bradley for a boy but changed it to Carter because Connor seemed to be getting too popular. Well I look at the list and Carter is 48 and Connor is 49!! Oh well... I can handle the 48th most popular name.

Thank you Vicki... For the adorable siggy!
May 30th, 2011, 09:04 AM
cydonia1978's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Oh, definitely trying for a not popular name! "Jennifer" was SUCH a popular name while I was growing up.. there were always a ton of us no matter where I went! There usually still are.. I HATED not having a unique name. I like my name, but I would have much preferred to not be "Jennifer Number 4" or having to go by whatever nicknames people came up with to tell us apart. And DH is Ryan, which is also a highly popular name.. He's never said he had much trouble with it, but we definitely wanted to go with something a tad less popular.

Ever since I was a teenager I loved the name Kaetlyn and figured that would be my girl's name, but then I found out it's nearly as possible now as "Jennifer" was in the 70s/80s. At least, it was a few years ago. I wrote it off right away. DH and I fell in love with the name "Kaelie" (still not sure the exact spelling, but maybe that one).. I don't think it's very high on the popularity list, so yay! For a boy we've had nothing but trouble trying to agree on a name.. finally we agreed we both like Aidan, but I have no idea how popular it is.. I actually don't care on that one though, it sounds unique enough to me.

May 30th, 2011, 09:09 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via Yahoo to countryjewelsc
neither side of the spectrum phases me. for example...my son's name is Derrick Judge...Judge being what we call him, and obviously not something i have ever heard anywhere other than who we named him after.

the boy name we have up in the air now is McDaniel Jacob, calling him Jacob...obviously being very common because of the Twilight movies, but that doesn't matter to me, I just love the name, always have.

the girl name we've picked out (since before we found out DS was a boy) is Ellen Paige (calling her Paige) is on neither end of the spectrum

www.facebook.com/babylovecustoms, specializing in custom embroidery for children.

Make a pregnancy ticker
May 30th, 2011, 09:48 AM
Madison.Hailey.Zack's Avatar Mom of 2 Girls and a Boy!
I dont pay attention to those things. If we love a name then thats all that matters to me.

May 30th, 2011, 10:39 AM
Kittynoah's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I'd prefer a name that isn't on the top 10 list. But at this point, I will take anything that DH and I can agree with. We are having a hard time choosing our little girl's name.

And we also don't share the name until birth. I dont' want any of my family member's opinions!

May 30th, 2011, 02:12 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I used to not one a popular name for my kids but we fell in love with the name Sofia Isabella so we used it for our daughter(now4)

My sons dont have common names at all(Israel,Malachi)

This baby both names we love are pretty common(Caleb,Gabriella) but we love them too much to care.
May 30th, 2011, 10:39 PM
Platinum Supermommy
With my name being Jessica, I really want to avoid top 10 but if a name we really like is on it we won't exclude it. DF like traditional names nothing off the wall so it is very difficult to find a traditional uncommon name

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search