Question for you, countryjewelsc!

Forum: 2011 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2011 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
May 31st, 2011, 11:21 AM
krissy1989's Avatar is loving her two boys!
And this applies to anyone else who uses this naming method. I noticed from my other thread that you choose to call all your children by his/her middle name, and it seems like you plan it that way. I don't see anything wrong with it (so please don't be offended that I'm asking!), but I'm just curious as to why you choose to make that their middle name instead of their first, if you know before you have them that that's what you're going to call them by. Thanks!

LoveLove
Love
LUV LOVE YOU!!
May 31st, 2011, 11:39 AM
..Jessica..'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
My mom and my aunt did this too, for themselves. But they did it because they disliked their first names entirely.

May 31st, 2011, 12:05 PM
Jessica, I knew several kids in school who went by their middle names, but like your mom and aunt, they did it because they didn't like their first names---it wasn't the parents' choice. I think it's different though if a child is raised by birth up using their middle name, because then it's just their name, rather than a choice they made, kwim? That would be the name they're used to. Maybe it could go the other way around and they'd decide later on that they don't like their middle name, and decide to go by their first.

LoveLove
Love
LUV LOVE YOU!!
May 31st, 2011, 12:23 PM
..Jessica..'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
My word, we might as well just wait til they can pick their own names! I wonder how many Worm's and Booger's would be running around!

May 31st, 2011, 12:39 PM
Platinum Supermommy
I call Sara by her middle name Rose quite often, I don't know why, and I can say I didn't really plan it like that but it just seems to come out lol
May 31st, 2011, 02:46 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via Yahoo to countryjewelsc
Sorry I'm just now seeing this. I'm not at all offended. We actually didn't plan it that way, but when coming up with names last time, we knew we wanted my grandfather's name in a boy's name (Judge) and we liked my maiden name (derrick). To us, Derrick Judge sounded better than Judge Derrick, but I didn't necessarily want to call my son Derrick because we have other family that goes by it.

With the girl name we had picked out then, it was the same thing...we wanted to use my middle name somehow (Ellen) since it's been passed down in all the girls in my moms side of the family, and wanted something from dad's side too (Page...but feminine spelling, Paige) and Ellen Paige sounded better to us than Paige Ellen. I've never liked the sound of my middle name and always loved paige for a girl, so it ended up being the same type deal for us.

Also, now that I started it with our son, maybe I'm just weird in it, but we're trying to think of another boy name where we would call him by his middle name just to fit with our son.

I should add, if when my kids are older, they prefer to go by their first names instead, it would be their choice. I wouldn't try to sway them otherwise

www.facebook.com/babylovecustoms, specializing in custom embroidery for children.

Make a pregnancy ticker
May 31st, 2011, 07:13 PM
cydonia1978's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I can chime in on this one as well. On my DH's dad's side of the family they have a tradition that the first born son is always named David, but they all go by their middle names (instead of David Sr & Jr, thank goodness). I don't particularly like the name David myself, but I'm more than happy to go along with family tradition since we'll go by the middle name anyway (if we have a boy, that is).

June 1st, 2011, 06:36 AM
Makes sense to me! Thanks for explaining, ladies! Michael is a family name on my side, so that's why we chose it as a middle name. I didn't want it as a first because there are already three Michael's that have it as a first, and I think it's way too common of a name, anyway. If I had thought that Michael Caleb sounded better than Caleb Michael, then I could see how I'd end up in a very similar situation.

LoveLove
Love
LUV LOVE YOU!!
June 1st, 2011, 09:10 AM
Veteran
That is all interesting... I'm like the PP. Michael is a family name for my husband. His dad is Michael Lynn (goes my Mike), his name is Michael Justin (goes by Justin), and my stepson's name is Michael Andrew (goes by Drew). I would love to keep the name going, but it would be odd for DH to have 2 sons with the same first name (even if they don't go by it) so we decided Chase Michael would be what we name a boy... If thats what we have lol. Its funny how much thought is put into all of this when we don't even know if its a girl or boy yet... hahaha.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search