Baby Shower Question

Forum: 2011 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2011 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
May 31st, 2011, 06:42 PM
Super Mommy
OK so, my dad is in Kuwait right now. He comes home on leave in August and that is when some of my family will be here (to visit him) that wouldn't usually make the trip. I will be around 27-28 weeks when they are here.

My question is, pending his response on whether he wants to attend or not, is that too early to have a baby shower? I am very close with my dad and feel horrible that he will not be here for the birth of his first grandchild and wont get to see her until she is 3-4 mos old. I feel like I should try to involve him with this...or should I just wait it out and hope he doesn't care?

I am so darn confused!!!
May 31st, 2011, 06:51 PM
Platinum Supermommy
People may say it is too early but that is when I am having mine...I am not allowed to travel after 30 weeks and that was the only week that worked. I say if it suits you then have it then
May 31st, 2011, 06:57 PM
..Jessica..'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I personally think that's the perfect time, between 26 and 30 weeks. That way you still have enough time if you're working to set aside money for things you didn't get. You also don't want to be too big and uncomfortable around people, you know?

May 31st, 2011, 07:51 PM
**Linda**
I've been to several recently when the girls have been 28 weeks. I think that's about normal around here, I live in Texas. Where showers are a BIG deal, imo.

May 31st, 2011, 10:33 PM
Alaska-Su's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I'd say it's fine. I'm having mine in July since my oldest sister will be here with her daughter and my middle sister will get to attend.

Thanks Tasha_Mae for my siggy!!

May 31st, 2011, 10:36 PM
Super Mommy
I am going to skype with my dad in the AM to see if he is even interested. I may just be worrying over nothing...seems like the usual thing for me today...
June 1st, 2011, 03:57 AM
hearts.0nfire's Avatar STPR lover
Considering everything I think it's a perfect time to have your shower and I hope it all works out.

June 1st, 2011, 04:39 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via Yahoo to countryjewelsc
It's not too early at all. When i was pregnant with DS, I was due in Nov and had my shower in early August. We did mine then because my family lives 600 miles away and that was the last time I was going to be with all my family before I couldn't travel any more.

www.facebook.com/babylovecustoms, specializing in custom embroidery for children.

Make a pregnancy ticker
June 1st, 2011, 04:59 AM
Aidan~N~Haileys Mama's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I think that's the perfect time, especially since your father will be there to visit with your dad, so that way more of your family will be there. I think your dad will want to go. My dad was at my baby shower, plus it'll be a special time to spend with you especially since he won't be here for the birth!!

June 1st, 2011, 05:16 AM
Mom to minions's Avatar Super Mommy
I think that would be an awesome time. If anyone says anything (and one would hope they don't) just point out that all your family will be together then.

I did have one at 27-28 weeks with #2. I had high BP and we were afraid of another preemie. My friend felt bad because she never ended up throwing me a shower with my first. So she was happy to do it early. No one said anything but my ex inlaws.... But they had issues with anything related to me, so....

I would love to have my shower (SO's first) at 28-30 weeks. It is so much easier to have them earlier. You are less tired and it gives you a chance to enjoy it more. Plus you have plenty of time still to get what you still need for the baby.
Pork (Laurence) 9/09 ~ 8lbs 3oz @ 36 1/2 weeks
2 angels in heaven 10/06 and 01/11
June 1st, 2011, 06:39 AM
Kittynoah's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I think it is fine. I didn't have mine with DS until like 32 and 34 weeks, but I see no reason to not have it earlier. Especially with the circumstances! I think it is much better to have it at like 28 weeks than to wait and do 38 (that is what a cousin of mine did!).

June 1st, 2011, 08:59 AM
Veteran
I think it would be awesome, bc then your dad will get to be a part of it. Having been deployed myself, and having had my dad be deployed before, I think if he couldn't be there to see much of the pregnancy/the birth he would feel honored to be there. It would be very special to him especially since ya'll are close! Good luck and tell him to stay safe over there!!!
June 1st, 2011, 09:16 AM
Mega Super Mommy
I think it is the perfect time. It leaves lots of time for you to buy anything you still need that you didn't get as a gift and I think it will be a great way for your Dad to stay connected and feel involved.
June 2nd, 2011, 08:47 AM
Mega Super Mommy
im having mine at the end of july first part of aug. I dont want to be so big i cant enjoy it and who knows...i might be on bed rest!
June 2nd, 2011, 09:23 AM
Kit Kat's Avatar Photoshop Addict
Send a message via Yahoo to Kit Kat
I agree, I think that's the perfect time! That's about when I had my previous showers.

June 2nd, 2011, 06:43 PM
Super Mommy
Well, it has been decided. August 7th from 2 to 5 pm. Thats about all I can stand of a large crowd and people Doting on me.

MIL is freaking out that it is soooo close....i tried to remind her that it was 2 months away. Plenty of time for planning. If she doesn't like it she doesnt have to be there !!!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search