professional newborn pics?

Forum: 2011 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2011 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
June 1st, 2011, 08:09 PM
east to west coast's Avatar ~Melissa~
Just wondering how many BTDT moms have had professional pictures taken of their newborn, and how many people in general are considering having it done with this baby.

We're thinking about asking the photographer who is taking my pregnancy pics if she'll take pictures of the LO shortly after he or she is born. As far as point and shoot cameras go, ours takes pretty good pictures, but nothing like a professional could do.

Just wondering if the professional pics are worth the money and if so, if anyone has a suggestion as far as when to have the babe photographed. We're planning a home birth, so we could do it pretty much any time.

Thank you, MommaDucks, for my lovely siggy
June 1st, 2011, 08:24 PM
aka Steph
We didn't with DD and for Liam we're going to do "newborn" pics a couple weeks after he is born

Wifey to Adam. Mama to Danica, Liam and Stepmama to Lilith

June 1st, 2011, 08:39 PM
Bam&RaynedropsMom's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I might do the typical hospital pictures but that's about it... I have a dslr so I'll have a new test subject to photograph then . My hubby or whoever else that is in the room with us will be doing the pictures while the baby is being bathed and cleaned off and whatnot

New *PICTURE* Siggy coming soon! =)
June 1st, 2011, 08:50 PM
Jacobbbsmommy's Avatar Happy but Lost
my SIL will be taking my newborn pics caz she has an awesome camera. i took my own newborn pics of DS. he was born 2 weeks before xmas so they were xmas related. heres my fav (and this was with a crappy 5 mp camera!)

its really small caz i didnt kno how to size pics then. i have to get one of the big printed ones and scan it in sometime... lol
June 1st, 2011, 09:29 PM
Kobain's Mommy's Avatar Future A&M Aggies Mommy
I wished we could have with DS. We had to do 4 week (1 month) pictures because between getting cleared from the Dr to let him be out in public and my infection it wasn't possible. We went to Sears and I wish we would have found the studio we used from 2 months on. He just wanted to sleep and the lady at Sears wanted him awake for all the pictures. So he was getting really ticked off.

This baby we'll be getting them done at the new studio. I kinda feel a bit obligated... DS is now one of their promo picture babies. But they take great pictures regardless!

made by BAM

June 1st, 2011, 09:43 PM
PointDefiance's Avatar My job is life itself.
We will!

DH has a co-worker who is also a professional photographer, he'll be doing our maternity pics, then coming up to the hospital to get some pictures within a day or so of Alice's birth.

This is my first babe so I am hoping that it all turns out cool =]
June 2nd, 2011, 12:21 AM
Super Mommy
I will be taking my own pictures of LO, as that's what I do (children's photographer). I absolutely can't wait to have another little model to photograph whenever I want!

ETA: oh, and the best time for newborn photos is within the first two weeks...they're still usually curly and sleepy, and haven't gotten the baby acne yet. One of my clients had me come photograph her daughter at 3 days old...they'd just gotten home from the hospital. That was one of the easiest newborn sessions! If you do decide to get your LO photographed that early, make sure your milk has come in (if you're nursing).

Last edited by karelle; June 2nd, 2011 at 12:26 AM.
June 2nd, 2011, 12:26 AM
eccomi's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
i think we'll have professional photos done at a studio a week or two after he's born. in the hospital it will just be photos taken by ourselves or friends & family.

cycles 1-16: TTC naturally, all BFNs
cycle 17 & 18: not TTC (due to diagnostic tests)
october 14: RE appt with follow-up hysteroscopy + saline sonogram... TUBES ARE CLEAR!
cycle 19, 20 & 21: natural TTC cycles = BFNs
cycle 22: another natural cycle, but preparing for our first IUI with injectables for cycle 23! FINALLY!!!
FEBRUARY 10th... our very first when we least expected it!!!

october 26th... our little miracle arrived via c-section at 12:19pm weighing 3.920 kilos! we are in love.
June 2nd, 2011, 05:36 AM
Urchin's Avatar Loving every minute.
I plan on doing newborn pics within a few weeks of this little ones' birth

Proud mama to Audrina (10-10-2011) & Bryden (09-19-2014)

June 2nd, 2011, 06:02 AM
Mega Super Mommy
I have done them a few times. I like when they come to the house! I will probably do thema around one month.

June 2nd, 2011, 06:38 AM
ashj_1218's Avatar Hiya!
We had them done by a good friend (and professional photographer) when Liam was exactly a week old. We had them scheduled for when he was 4 days...but he was super-crabby that morning and my milk was going EVERYWHERE so we just moved it. She prefers the newborn session to be around a week old...since they are so sleepy and still curled up. She will do them from 3 days to 2 weeks though. It just gets harder the older they get Here are two of my favs from Liam's session:

We are debating what to do with this baby. We have another friend (who is closer to us personally) who has been taking our family pictures lately. But she hates doing newborn photos and says she is "no good" at them. She is an "amateur," so she says. I would love to use her. Especially since my other friend's pricing is getting a little steep for us, even with the friend discount. We are absolutely getting them done...just depends on who we choose to do them. We will do them in the first week.
June 2nd, 2011, 06:53 AM
mom2njia's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via Yahoo to mom2njia
I am pretty good with the camera, but my closest friend (who is on here Doodle) is a pro and she will be doing all our pics.

my blog
June 2nd, 2011, 07:05 AM
ReedsMama06's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via MSN to ReedsMama06 Send a message via Yahoo to ReedsMama06
I got Reed's done at one month and I must say... Looking back it was a waste of money! He was so not cute at that point, and the lady at Sears tried to pose him like an older baby so he just looked like a bewildered skinny blob. I am going to give it a go myself since I have an extremely nice camera... But if I don't get great shots I might have someone else try at a local studio. NEVER AGAIN with the sears!!!
June 2nd, 2011, 07:06 AM
Platinum Supermommy
I'll take my own of Eden & at about 4 weeks I'll probably get someone to take professional family pictures. I figure the family pictures will be perfect to take around 4 weeks plus we can use them on our Christmas cards that we send out

June 2nd, 2011, 07:08 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Im a freelance photographer and just started bulking up my birth,newborn and maternity photography because Im also training to be a birth doula as well so I will do my own Your in Mass arent you? Maybe I can come do them for you! Need a doula? lol
My dh says he doesnt think i wanted a baby he thinks I wanted a photo prop because all I can talk about is photo props. In my defense its been a LONG time since Ive gotten to play with all this fun pink stuff

Thank you to Mom2*Lauryn*Jacob* for my awesome siggy!
June 2nd, 2011, 07:32 AM
Mom to Girls
We've done them at about 2 weeks old in the past. Will probably do it the same timing also.
I go to Portrait Innovations. They are a chain studio, but I love the pictures they take at ours. My worst pics were from JcPenny and Sears when DD1 was young.

Thank you Jaidynsmum for the beautiful siggy
June 2nd, 2011, 07:53 AM
dixon0511's Avatar Super Mommy
I took DD1 to get hers done at 4 weeks at a studio and they were good but I wish I would have went at before 2 weeks to get the cute sleepy curled up poses. With DD2 I did my own and they came out really good I thought, so I will probably do my own this time to!

DD2
June 2nd, 2011, 09:42 AM
east to west coast's Avatar ~Melissa~
Quote:
Originally Posted by YogaChick View Post
Your in Mass arent you? Maybe I can come do them for you! Need a doula? lol
We live in CA, not MA, unfortunately. As a side note, my parents lived in Mass for 10 years, though--in Leicester, near Spencer.

[QUOTE=ashj_1218;24040009]We had them done by a good friend (and professional photographer) when Liam was exactly a week old. We had them scheduled for when he was 4 days...but he was super-crabby that morning and my milk was going EVERYWHERE so we just moved it. She prefers the newborn session to be around a week old...since they are so sleepy and still curled up. She will do them from 3 days to 2 weeks though. It just gets harder the older they get Here are two of my favs from Liam's session:

Ashley, these are beautiful- exactly what I was hoping we'd have of our LO. Thanks for sharing!

Thank you, MommaDucks, for my lovely siggy
June 2nd, 2011, 09:47 AM
MysticalSerenity's Avatar L♥ving my Babies!
I have had all my kids pics done at 3 weeks old, this LO will be no different, but I take my own "professional" pics before that....In the hospital and at home. I used to work at a studio so I can kinda get some good ones I can't wait to give it a go this time, I have WAY better ideas than I have before!

June 2nd, 2011, 09:57 AM
Platinum Supermommy
I am the worst mother ever: Jim is 4 now and the only time he's had a professional picture done was on a cruise ship. We did some family shots when on a cruise at 18 months and honest to God, he had his tongue out the whole time (can you say teething?) so DH and I stuck our tongues out too. There we were, all dressed up, with our tongues out. It's a nice photo and all but I wasn't going to bother taking him down to a photo studio and pay a sitting fee just so he could refuse to smile for the camera, KWIM? Besides, we have lots of super nice photos that we took ourselves. Yes I am that cheap.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search