Breastfeeding Mommies...

Forum: 2011 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2011 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
June 1st, 2011, 09:10 PM
katidid622's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
How is nursing/pumping going? Are you maintaining a good supply? How often does your LO seem to eat? Are you having to supplement at all?

If this is your first time BFing, is it easier or harder than you thought it would be?

If you are a repeat BFer, is this time any harder or easier than previous?

Do you LIKE JustMommies? Help us get to 5,000 fans!
June 1st, 2011, 09:23 PM
DramaFreeMama's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
How is nursing/pumping going? Could be better. I used to pump and get 4oz or more. Now i'm lucky if i get 2...and thats out of both breast.
Are you maintaining a good supply? I think i'm making just enough to feed him and no more than that
How often does your LO seem to eat?1 1/2-2 1/2 hours. He takes long naps though were he goes a little longer without eating and also sleeps through most of the night
Are you having to supplement at all? I have been thinking about it just to get me a couple more hours of a break on the weekend, but haven't decided yet.

If this is your first time BFing, is it easier or harder than you thought it would be?It was hard the first 2 weeks. Then it was alot easier than i thought it would ever be. And now its hard again lol.

Cece

Thank You Sharon for my beautiful siggy!

June 1st, 2011, 10:22 PM
mmten7's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
How is nursing/pumping going? Are you maintaining a good supply? How often does your LO seem to eat? Are you having to supplement at all? Nursing is going fantastic. We've had no issues yet. Erin is eating about every 3 hours now. I haven't had to supplement.

If this is your first time BFing, is it easier or harder than you thought it would be? N/A

If you are a repeat BFer, is this time any harder or easier than previous? This time is easier. It really wasn't hard last time, but I remember my nipples being sore a lot. We've had no problems this time. I also got a clogged duct last time....but nothing yet this time. It's been smooth sailing.

Thank you so much mylene169 for my awesome siggy!

June 1st, 2011, 11:38 PM
Minilegs's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
How is nursing/pumping going? Are you maintaining a good supply? How often does your LO seem to eat? Are you having to supplement at all? Nursing has been going well since birth thankfully! Overall my supply is great unless I'm not drinking enough which I quickly correct. No supplementing is needed.

If this is your first time BFing, is it easier or harder than you thought it would be? This is my second nursing baby

If you are a repeat BFer, is this time any harder or easier than previous? It was much easier in the beginning than my first, he does really well and nurses more often than my daughter did. I have more pain/stinging with latch and letdown with this baby though.
June 2nd, 2011, 07:03 AM
pattyandthemoos's Avatar Administrator
How is nursing/pumping going? Are you maintaining a good supply? How often does your LO seem to eat? Are you having to supplement at all? Great supply this time. Shawn likes to nurse all the time though. At least every two hours.

If this is your first time BFing, is it easier or harder than you thought it would be? N/A

If you are a repeat BFer, is this time any harder or easier than previous? Shawn has been one of my easiest, other than he nurses a lot. But I have a great supply and he nurses really well.

Missing my Mommy Weightloss & Fitness girls. You're the best!
June 2nd, 2011, 07:21 AM
adamsgirl
How is nursing/pumping going? Are you maintaining a good supply? How often does your LO seem to eat? Are you having to supplement at all? It's going great, my supply is really good. I haven't pumped in a little bit, but if I pump in the am I usually get about 5 oz from one side, I usually feed Josh then pump the other side. Thankfully though it seems like my boobs have regulated a little bit. He eats every 2-4 hours during the day and then 9:30-10 is his last nursing for the day and he sleeps until 8 if he sleeps with me and 5 if he sleeps in the pack n play. No supplementing here.

If this is your first time BFing, is it easier or harder than you thought it would be? It is a million times easier, everybody told me about the supply issues I could have and how sore my nipples would be, to expect cracking and bleeding and I haven't had any issues at all. The biggest thing we've had to deal with is my stong letdown and Josh's reflux, but that all seems to be under control for now anyways.
June 2nd, 2011, 07:28 AM
AnnaGr8's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I have a good supply. I am pumping an extra 15-20 ounces a day to donate only pumping 3 times a day. Quinn is sleeping 12 hours at night (2 nights in a row). During the day I'm nursing every 2 hours since she is going so long at night I want to maintain a good supply.

I am not sure how this compares to the others. It's all been horrible for the first 3-4 months. It is finally getting less painful and only hurts during the latch and the first minute or two of nursing. It is getting easier though finally now that Quinn is 3 1/2 months old.
June 2nd, 2011, 07:42 AM
Mega Super Mommy
I'm loving it! It's a lot tougher than I thought it would be. I thought it was just: Latch baby, baby eats, the end. I didn't know it was actually WORK! LOL. It's like a full time job.

I have a great supply, if anything I have too much. I'm hoping it will regulate soon. We've tried block feeding and it got better, so I'm going to have to start doing that again.

I don't supplement at all. I'd get donor milk before supplementing.

June 2nd, 2011, 08:38 AM
Super Mommy
How is nursing/pumping going? Are you maintaining a good supply? How often does your LO seem to eat? Are you having to supplement at all?

You may remember I posted a week or two ago about what I struggle I was having nursing, pumping and supplementing. It has so very gradually gotten easier. Sarah is nursing better, my supply is slowly going up - I got 4 oz when I pumped this morning - this was 1 1/2 hours after BFing and I'm supplementing less and less. I didn't even have to use formula yesterday, just pumped BM. Sarah can go quite a while - sometimes four hours. She had her two month check up and was a bit under 10.5 lbs, up 2+ lbs from her one month.

If this is your first time BFing, is it easier or harder than you thought it would be? It is of course way harder than I thought, but I'm proud that I've done it and stuck with it. My big challenge now is that I feel handcuffed at home when I'm nursing. I need to get better at nursing in public (even if it's just in the car, or at my in-laws, etc.).
Baby #2 due 11/30/12
39 y/o, from Boston, MA
June 2nd, 2011, 09:31 AM
BB4CaLs's Avatar ~Brycen's Mommy~
How is nursing/pumping going? Are you maintaining a good supply? How often does your LO seem to eat? Are you having to supplement at all? I just went back to work on Tuesday, so I'm not sure what it's going to do to my supply, but so far no complaints. Brycen nurses great and eats every 3 hours during the day and then sleeps 6-9 hours at night. I usually pump at midnight if I'm not working, then just feed him when he wakes up. At work, I'm going to try and pump 3-4 times in 12 hours at night to keep my supply up, but the first night I only made it 2 times and got 3-4 oz. per breast. Seems like unless I go 6 hours without pumping I don't pump more than 3oz per side. I'm trying to find a way so I get 4oz every time since that's what he usually eats from a bottle.

If this is your first time BFing, is it easier or harder than you thought it would be? It's about what I expected...at first it was hard only because I was sooo sore and had a hard time finding comfortable positions, but now it's great. He nurses when he wants, latches great, seems to be getting plenty considering he's 16 1/2 lbs at 3 months old The only problem we've had is that he loves it so much, that he's refused a bottle here and there and will scream until I nurse him, but hopefully that little phase is done now.

Callie (26) Dan (25) parents to Brycen Cade (March 6, 2011) and Bennett Reis, born 28 weeks 4 days (November 16, 2012)

June 2nd, 2011, 10:44 AM
pinkalicious75's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
How is nursing/pumping going? Are you maintaining a good supply? How often does your LO seem to eat? Are you having to supplement at all? things are very good now. We had supply and weight gain issues in the 1st few weeks and after a month it was all better. I've recently had to block feed for a bit because Max is becoming very distracted at the boob and the heat doesn't help;so he would take a full feed and he was getting green slimy poop. It is better after 1 day. We have been working on extending his feeds and on average goes every 3 hours during the day and at night. I do cluster feed from 4-8. He'll sleep from 8:30-1am on average

If this is your first time BFing, is it easier or harder than you thought it would be?technical no, but 1st time succeeding. It has been very hard for me but this time i had a lot of motivation to do it and i am a lot wiser and stronger willed this time around

If you are a repeat BFer, is this time any harder or easier than previous? easier than DD...she fought latching on
June 2nd, 2011, 10:59 AM
*~~Shannon~~*'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
BFing is going very well for us. Emerson is a champ. He still eats every 2-2.5 hours, but DS1 was the same way. I also pump in the morning and sometimes once more during the day to add to my freezer stash for work.

This is my second time nursing. Other than the learning curve with DS1, neither has been difficult to BF. We've been very lucky with that.

June 2nd, 2011, 12:06 PM
katidid622's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
It sounds like everyone is doing great with BFing. That is awesome!! Congrats ladies

Do you LIKE JustMommies? Help us get to 5,000 fans!
June 2nd, 2011, 12:09 PM
monica8's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
How is nursing/pumping going? Are you maintaining a good supply? How often does your LO seem to eat? Are you having to supplement at all? Going great here. I have a great supply. He eats usually every 2-4 hours during the day, then goes 11 hours at night.

If you are a repeat BFer, is this time any harder or easier than previous? SO much easier. My first time was so hard. This time it just seems natural for both of us.

June 2nd, 2011, 08:05 PM
mrsfitz31b's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Nursing/pumping is going great and I really enjoy it. We had a hard time getting the hand of things in the hospital, but once home it was easy.

I've got a good supply. Getting 4-6 oz per boob these days.

LO still eats every 2-2.5 hours (big boy!), but at night he has one good 5-6 hour stretch then 3 then 2.

I had to supplement once, and only an oz, and he wouldn't eat the 3 oz BM/1 oz formula bottle... fought it for two hours, until I gave up and guzzled water. I sometimes forget on busy/long days to stay hydrated and we both regret it later- poor little dude.

This is my first baby and first time, and it is a lot easier than I was expecting. I didn't have any cracked/dry/hurt nipples, I had no pains (besides some random shooting pains from his shallow latch sometimes), and have no supply issue. He is a champion nurser- a power hungry boy- and we are done with feeds, one boob per feed, in less than 15 minutes. He's a dream.

Thank you .:Shortcake:. for my awesome siggy!

June 3rd, 2011, 06:20 AM
Lillys_Mommy1010's Avatar Super Mommy
How is nursing/pumping going? Are you maintaining a good supply? How often does your LO seem to eat? Are you having to supplement at all? Nursing is going very well. My supply has no issues. Hes still eating every 2 hours with longer naps. He wakes up once during the night. We're both enjoying it. And I haven't supplemented at all. But probbably will in September when I turn 21.

If you are a repeat BFer, is this time any harder or easier than previous? Way easier, except for the first 2 weeks, those were just as bad. I got mastitis when dd was about 2 months old and stopped BF'ing her. So its much better this time.

Last edited by Lillys_Mommy1010; June 3rd, 2011 at 06:22 AM.
June 3rd, 2011, 06:45 AM
Mega Super Mommy
How is nursing/pumping going? Are you maintaining a good supply? How often does your LO seem to eat? Are you having to supplement at all? Nursing is going great. He eats every couple of hours and I'm trying to pump 10 ounces a day to donate. I'm not supplementing at all and have a good supply.

If you are a repeat BFer, is this time any harder or easier than previous? BF has always been easy for me, I'm lucky I guess...but this time is the easiest yet.

June 3rd, 2011, 09:42 AM
Mommy2PrestonandGavin's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
How is nursing/pumping going? Are you maintaining a good supply? How often does your LO seem to eat? Are you having to supplement at all? Nursing is going great! My supply is good but I expected it to be since it was with DS1. My OB prescribed the mini-pill and I haven't started taking it yet because i'm a little worried about how it will affect my supply.

If you are a repeat BFer, is this time any harder or easier than previous? This time is so much easier! I know what i'm doing first of all and Gavin doesn't get gassy no matter what I eat and he sleeps from 9:30 or 10:30 at night until between 6 and 7am. DS1 didn't do that until after he was 1!

Thanks Katidid622 for my adorable siggy!

June 3rd, 2011, 09:49 AM
OwensMommy25's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Sigh.. Well we are just getting over a nursing strike, which was awful, but things seem to be going better now. Evan eats every 3-4 hrs although sometimes I feed him every 2 hours when I feel my supply needs help. During the nursing strike my supply went down and I'm working on strengthening it now.
Overall, nursing is great.. I love it and love the connection I get with Evan.

This time is so much easier than with DS1.. I had to give up at 6 weeks because he refused to latch and was losing weight..

Thanks to Pattyandthemoos For the wonderful siggy!

June 3rd, 2011, 06:51 PM
*Sharon*'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy

Nursing is going fantastic. He nurses a lot throughout the day. I have overproduction issues. Had that with my others as well. And because of it babies actually have to nurse quite frequently, because they get so much foremilk so they don't stay full long. Then they eventually get the hindmilk that is more fatty.

If you are a repeat BFer, is this time any harder or easier than previous?

About the same.

Sharon, wife to Noah; mom to Belle (12.5), Ryllan (10), Finn (6), and Zane (3).

Tags
babies , breastfeeding , qotd

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search