Log In Sign Up

Not so great midwife appt..


Forum: 2011 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2011 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
  #1  
June 2nd, 2011, 10:43 AM
pamphilia's Avatar Veteran
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Calgary, Canada
Posts: 441
So, I had my 18 week MW appt yesterday, and it wasn't exactly stellar.

Baby is fine, and we heard the heartbeat for the first time, which was wonderful. However, it turns out my BP is high. Far too high for 18 weeks.... so the midwife told me that because of it being this high, this early in the pregnancy - that things were not looking good for my care to remain with the clinic. She said that my BP will most likely only get worse and more complicated from here on in, and that she will have to transfer me out to a High Risk OB.

I was devastated. I AM devastated. Not because I am concerned about the high BP, but because of being transferred away from the midwife.

This means I say goodbye to my water birth, goodbye to my birth centre, goodbye to the personalized care I have grown to really like, goodbye to the home visits after baby is born, goodbye to natural labour (moving, eating, drinking, bathing, squatting, delayed cord clamping...). Goodbye to all of things that excited me about birth, and made me feel like I could do all of this naturally.

Now, most likely, I will be strapped on my back to a bed covered in wires and monitors, not allowed to eat or drink in case I need surgery, pumped full of drugs to make sure baby comes NOW and doesn't elevate my blood pressure anymore. NOT what I wanted.

I am very very disappointed. This is not how I pictured things

I am thankful that baby is healthy, and I know there are worse things that could have come about...but whenever I think about it I cry. I will get over it eventually...but man, it sucks.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
June 2nd, 2011, 11:07 AM
SouthernMamaBri's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Somewhere In Georgia
Posts: 1,590
Send a message via AIM to SouthernMamaBri Send a message via MSN to SouthernMamaBri Send a message via Skype™ to SouthernMamaBri


I'm so sorry you won't get the birth you wanted, but at least the baby is healthy.
__________________

Thanks Jaidynsmum for my AMAZING siggie!
Reply With Quote
  #3  
June 2nd, 2011, 11:24 AM
SoCaliMommy's Avatar Super Mommy
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Southern California
Posts: 871
HUGS
What about getting on BP meds to help control your BP?Maybe you could still get the birth you want that way.

__________________
My Rainbow Baby


Reply With Quote
  #4  
June 2nd, 2011, 11:32 AM
Kittynoah's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: St. Louis
Posts: 4,367
So sorry -

Even though you aren't getting a birth center birth - you can still try for some things with the birth. Create a detailed birth plan (you want to be able to move, you want no pain meds, no pitocin, use of a tub, etc). Most hospitals will attempt to honor these unless a danger arises.

I've known people who have had natural births in a hospital setting. Obviously the safety of you and the baby comes first - but most hospitals will try to honor your wishes.
__________________
LAURA




Reply With Quote
  #5  
June 2nd, 2011, 11:45 AM
pamphilia's Avatar Veteran
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Calgary, Canada
Posts: 441
I may end up on BP meds to control it, but the midwife will not take me back. High BP is a no-go for a low risk clinic....so I am out of luck unfortunately

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCaliMommy View Post
HUGS
What about getting on BP meds to help control your BP?Maybe you could still get the birth you want that way.

I will definitely be doing this. I may not get everything I want....but something is better than nothing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kittynoah View Post
So sorry -

Even though you aren't getting a birth center birth - you can still try for some things with the birth. Create a detailed birth plan (you want to be able to move, you want no pain meds, no pitocin, use of a tub, etc). Most hospitals will attempt to honor these unless a danger arises.

I've known people who have had natural births in a hospital setting. Obviously the safety of you and the baby comes first - but most hospitals will try to honor your wishes.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
June 2nd, 2011, 11:52 AM
Kit Kat's Avatar Photoshop Addict
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: North Country
Posts: 15,909
Send a message via Yahoo to Kit Kat
I'm sorry things aren't working out the way you hoped!
__________________

Reply With Quote
  #7  
June 2nd, 2011, 11:53 AM
promises1's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: California
Posts: 3,350
Sorry to hear about your BP. I agree Laura about making a detailed birth plan. Healthy baby and Mommy is really what it is all about. Good luck.
__________________
~ Justina
Come Join Us In Frugal Mommies! http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f88-frugal-mommies/





Reply With Quote
  #8  
June 2nd, 2011, 11:56 AM
~* Helen *~'s Avatar A Prince And 2 Princess's
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Dorset, UK
Posts: 29,974
So sorry hun xx
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #9  
June 2nd, 2011, 12:09 PM
Alaska-Su's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Fairbanks, AK
Posts: 2,352
I also suggest trying to control the blood pressure with diet. I know that diet isn't the reason for it, but definitely staying away from caffeine, sugar, and salt can help. Well you can have low sugar/low salt stuff.

I totally understand what you're feeling because I went with the birthing center due to the fact I can have a water birth. Though what with my mom finding out I'm still covered under her insurance (why she HAD to find out, I have no idea and it makes me mad since I already had insurance), I had to let my insurance provider know and they could very well tell me that since I am covered by another place, they won't be covering me anymore.

If that happens it means no birthing center for me and I'm stuck with the crummy hospital in town. The only good thing that would come from it is that I'd get my nurse midwife as the deliverer. And he does ultrasounds at every visit since he's practicing with the machine. But still, I'd rather have the relaxed atmosphere of the birthing center.

I hope something happens and you're able to control the blood pressure before it gets too high to send you to the high risk OB.
__________________

Thanks Tasha_Mae for my siggy!!

Reply With Quote
  #10  
June 2nd, 2011, 12:39 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: AZ
Posts: 2,044
I'm so sorry
__________________
Rachel
Mommy to Alexander, Annabella, & always missing our angel!
Reply With Quote
  #11  
June 2nd, 2011, 02:06 PM
Cheshire's Avatar Mommy to three beauties!
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 3,227
Oh gosh, I'm so sorry I understand why you feel the way you do. I really hope your BP improves and maybe you can go back...
__________________





Reply With Quote
  #12  
June 2nd, 2011, 03:12 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Batesville, MS
Posts: 4,909
Send a message via Yahoo to countryjewelsc
Hugs!

Have you been monitoring your BP at home? Is it maybe a chance it was just high at your appt for some reason?
__________________
Elizabeth, mommy to Judge and Zavier, and crossing fingers for an Ellen Paige this December!

www.facebook.com/babylovecustoms, specializing in custom embroidery for children.

Make a pregnancy ticker
Reply With Quote
  #13  
June 2nd, 2011, 03:14 PM
ashleyjo's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 4,897
I'm sorry your appointment was less than stellar.. I had a hospital birth with my son, and will again with this baby that was nothing even close to being strapped down to a bed.. I was able to get up and come and go from my room as I pleased.. I did have an IV, but I was strep + so I needed the antibiotics.. But, I was able to walk as often as I wanted, I sat in the tub for hours, I sat in chairs, on birthing balls, etc etc etc. I know that not all hospitals do it that way, but it's not the ugly experience that a lot of people think it is.. I hope that you're able to get at least pieces of the birth that you have been dreaming of, even if you don't get it all.. In the end you're going to have a beautiful healthy baby and that's what matters! *I'm not trying to tell you you're wrong in how you feel, either, I'm just giving you another perspective from a momma who delivered in a hospital *
__________________
Ashley
Wife to Ray, mama to Colin (4), Brock (2) & expecting our baby GIRL 10.20.2014


Reply With Quote
  #14  
June 2nd, 2011, 06:35 PM
pamphilia's Avatar Veteran
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Calgary, Canada
Posts: 441
I am going to get a BP cuff for at home to check (at midwife's reccomendation - because she is worried it is going to spike)..but she said that if it was just a fluke and was a single reading thing - both numbers wouldn't have been elevated. She repeated this several times. I haven't heard that theory before, but I figured she knew was she was talking about...

Quote:
Originally Posted by countryjewelsc View Post
Hugs!

Have you been monitoring your BP at home? Is it maybe a chance it was just high at your appt for some reason?

I didn't mean to sound like I thought all hospital births were about be strapped down and hooked up to machines - I know they aren't that way....But I know that they take high BP very seriously and they will likely want me on continuous monitoring. I don't know this for a fact, and I will probably feel better about everything when I actually speak to the OB and let her know what I would really like for my birth (movement etc...). so no worries, you didn't offend me, and I hope I didn't offend you either

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashleyjo View Post
I'm sorry your appointment was less than stellar.. I had a hospital birth with my son, and will again with this baby that was nothing even close to being strapped down to a bed.. I was able to get up and come and go from my room as I pleased.. I did have an IV, but I was strep + so I needed the antibiotics.. But, I was able to walk as often as I wanted, I sat in the tub for hours, I sat in chairs, on birthing balls, etc etc etc. I know that not all hospitals do it that way, but it's not the ugly experience that a lot of people think it is.. I hope that you're able to get at least pieces of the birth that you have been dreaming of, even if you don't get it all.. In the end you're going to have a beautiful healthy baby and that's what matters! *I'm not trying to tell you you're wrong in how you feel, either, I'm just giving you another perspective from a momma who delivered in a hospital *
Thanks everyone for the kind comments!
Reply With Quote
  #15  
June 2nd, 2011, 06:51 PM
Leffew's Avatar is baking!
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 1,032
I am so sorry. I was just able to switch back to the MW practice even though I'm a high risk patient. The only reason is because there is a perinatologist who shares an office with them. My risks and complications have to do with pregnancy, and not birth, so I will be able to have the birth experience I want. Would the MW possibly consider seeing you in conjunction with a specialist?! Maybe alternate visits? And I guess compromise with the hospital birth? Is there a hospital near you with a water birth room? the hospital I will deliver at (as long as I make it past 35 weeks) has ONE. *hugs*
__________________
Nicole

<--- again!
Reply With Quote
  #16  
June 2nd, 2011, 07:00 PM
pamphilia's Avatar Veteran
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Calgary, Canada
Posts: 441
Unfortunately not - hospital waterbirths aren't allowed here. That is great you are able to still see your MW whilst high risk! I don't think my clinic would be up for that. They seem to want to wash their hands of anything slightly high risk, for liability's sake.

I am starting to feel a bit better about things, and am lokoing forward to talking to the new OB about the things that are important to me, to see if they can still accomodate them.

Fingers crossed!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leffew View Post
I am so sorry. I was just able to switch back to the MW practice even though I'm a high risk patient. The only reason is because there is a perinatologist who shares an office with them. My risks and complications have to do with pregnancy, and not birth, so I will be able to have the birth experience I want. Would the MW possibly consider seeing you in conjunction with a specialist?! Maybe alternate visits? And I guess compromise with the hospital birth? Is there a hospital near you with a water birth room? the hospital I will deliver at (as long as I make it past 35 weeks) has ONE. *hugs*
Reply With Quote
  #17  
June 2nd, 2011, 07:18 PM
..Jessica..'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Canada
Posts: 11,084
My sister is going through this. she is in for monitoring every week now due to her high BP, she's also close to 35 weeks pregnant.

Get on some meds and see if they help, they did for her and they were recently changed in dosage due to how far along she is, plus the heat, plus her weight, plus she's swollen.

I hope everything is worked out!!!!
__________________


Reply With Quote
  #18  
June 2nd, 2011, 07:25 PM
10x_A_Mommy's Avatar formerly mom_of_8
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Tennessee
Posts: 7,707
I'm so sorry I know baby being healthy is your topmost priority - but I also know what a magical experience childbirth is and it truly is devastating to have that taken away from you. I know you'll hear a lot of "It doesn't matter how baby gets here" remarks but you sound a lot like me and it DOES matter. I would be heartbroken if my desired birth was taken from me and even with a healthy baby I know I would mourn the loss of that experience. Anyway, what I'm trying to say is - I understand.
__________________
~Jessica~
Mom of 3 girls and 6 boys
& never forgetting our angel
Tristan ~ lost 2/6/03 @ 20 weeks












Reply With Quote
  #19  
June 3rd, 2011, 04:15 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 1,027
i mam sorry things are not going as you planned them.

Both my pregnancies were high risk and the first time i had to stay in bed and all and hated it..it took a long time but i found a new doctor who was willing to work with me and i made a birth plan. When you have one especually printed out a dr. will usually do everything they can to stick to it. The second time around it was 2 hours from start to finish. and don't worry there are many docs who will do a water birth if thats what you want.
I hope everything starts to go better and you get the birth you are wanting.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 10:14 PM.



Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0