OT: My poor little puppy :(

Forum: 2011 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2011 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
June 2nd, 2011, 11:36 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Well...he's 2 and over 70 lbs, but he's still my little puppy. We got him neutered last Thursday. We have followed all of the rules. He's been inside, we only take him out on the leash, and we have TRIED to get him to not lick the area (they did not give him a cone). Well, his ball sack got HUGE and swollen and just really, really red. We took him back to the vet on Tuesday (closed on weekends and the holiday on Monday). They said he had an infection and that the sack was FULL of blood, but was negative for something or another that they tested him for. They said he apparently ruptured a blood vessel and all of that blood had filled his sack. So they gave us pain pills and antibiotic to give him twice daily and didn't charge us. Told us it could take a few WEEKS for the swelling to go down. Told us to follow every rule that we have been following. We've even kept our other dog outside so she doesn't get him hyper.

Well, he has seemed okay minus the fact that he still can't sit right because the sack is huge. DH called me today freaking out and said that Roscoe P Coltrane is BLEEDING down there and that his suture was open!!! I was already at work and DH was about to leave for work. So he put the puppy in his kennel and kept calling the vet's clinic and no one was answering. He eventually called their PETS Pantry number and they gave him the emergency number.

So we had to have step FIL pick him up and take him to another vet about 25 miles away (the place we take him is volunteer vets so the price is discounted and they are only there on certain days of the month).

After all of that long story, I have to go pick him up after work. Please send positive thoughts that he is doing okay!!! I am already an emotional mess and can hardly stand to see my big guy in pain and now all of this is happening!!

June 2nd, 2011, 11:38 AM
Brittanie's Avatar just me
Ugh! Poor doggy!! That sounds so painful. Hope everything is okay.

June 2nd, 2011, 11:47 AM
Mama.Angie's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Poor puppers! I hope he heals up! How traumatic! I'm sure you'll be giving him lots of love tonight, which I bet he can use!
June 2nd, 2011, 11:52 AM
Platinum Supermommy
I feel so bad for him. He is mixed Border Collie/Catahoula so he is an OUTSIDE, hyper active, happy dog. He just looks at me with these sad eyes. You can tell how uncomfortable he is when he tries to sit down because obviously he sits on his ball sack and it hurts him so bad. I can't imagine how he feels now that the suture opened.

He just stands by the couch and lays his head on my belly so I can pet him. He doesn't even get annoyed when the cat bugs him. She loves to play with and tease him.

My poor baby.

June 2nd, 2011, 12:03 PM
Mega Super Mommy
OH NO!!!!!!!!!! The poor baby!!!! I am really really hoping & praying that he will be ok VERY SOON. Please keep us posted.

William Jeffery, born 8/1/11
Evan John, born 2/24/13

Visit my blogs.
http://www.anilandcontinuied.blogspot.com/
http://reverendanissa.blogspot.com/
June 2nd, 2011, 12:06 PM
Happy Mommy
oh no! I hope it's nothing major
June 2nd, 2011, 12:26 PM
irishblessing's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Hopefully he is doing okay!

Thank you Vicki for my new siggy!
June 2nd, 2011, 01:02 PM
DaniB+3's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Poor baby! My old cat, Austin (who passed 7-8 years ago) had a similar problem when we got him fixed. His incision opened up in the middle of the night a few days after his operation - he jumped up on our bed crying and bled all over our sheets. It was gross, LOL. But yeah, his sack area was red, swollen and filled with blood and had finally gotten so full that the incision ruptured. He was on all kinds of meds for awhile afterwards. I felt so bad for the little guy! He was uncomfortable for several days but healed up just fine. Here's hoping your pup does the same!

Thank you, *sharon*, for my siggy!

June 2nd, 2011, 01:08 PM
BeccaM's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via Yahoo to BeccaM
Awww poor puppy. I hope they are able to fix him up.
June 2nd, 2011, 02:28 PM
Rachel's Avatar Just Rachel
Send a message via Yahoo to Rachel
Poor pups! I hope he's OK! Keep us posted.
June 2nd, 2011, 03:23 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Well I went and got him. I didn't have anything in my car to put down under him so guess what? He got oozie blood gunk junk on my seats. Plus he sheds (even though he has a really short haired coat) so his hair is all over my seats, too. Boo!

I got all the way back to town and was heading home and DH called to tell me that I left the kennel out there...um...no one even told me that his kennel was out there! So I had to drive alllllllll the way back out there. So I had to drive 100 miles today to pick up my pup. He better be glad I love him!

They gave him more pain meds and more antibiotics. Gave me a cone to put on him and told me to just keep following all the rules. They didn't close the suture because they said it is draining properly.

Uh...properly?? Like...all over my carpet, car seats, floor, etc???? Gross.

But he's okay. He's eating normally. He's just sad.

I told DH he owes me a MAJOR car wash and detail! He is on duty to clean out my car then take it somewhere this weekend to get completely spotless clean!

June 2nd, 2011, 06:46 PM
mafiamom's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
awwww bless his heart i hate when animals hurt cause they look all sad and wonder why we arent doing anything to help. when lolly got spayed... ugh i felt so horrible. i cried when i picked her up from the vet she looked so bad!

hope he gets better really soon - for all your sakes!!

LMAO is his name REALLY roscoe P COtrain??? i LOVE It!!!!
June 2nd, 2011, 06:59 PM
Kim
Poor puppy! Hope he feels better soon. They're always so sad after getting fixed, then to have all this awful stuff happen to him...

June 2nd, 2011, 07:25 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by mafiamom View Post
awwww bless his heart i hate when animals hurt cause they look all sad and wonder why we arent doing anything to help. when lolly got spayed... ugh i felt so horrible. i cried when i picked her up from the vet she looked so bad!

hope he gets better really soon - for all your sakes!!

LMAO is his name REALLY roscoe P COtrain??? i LOVE It!!!!
LOL yep! Now his name at the vet says "Roscoe Petrosian" but his name is actually Roscoe P Coltrane Petrosian, LOL

***At the risk of sounding like a horrible puppy mommy....he does look pretty funny with that big cone on his head. AND he keeps bumping into everything...walls, couches, ME...lol

June 2nd, 2011, 09:25 PM
DaniB+3's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Dude, I don't care how injured/sick an animal gets - they ALWAYS look funny with the cone collar on their head .

Thank you, *sharon*, for my siggy!

June 3rd, 2011, 05:25 AM
mafiamom's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
those cones make them look so darn pathetic! and the bumping into stuff... that IS funny LOL!

lolly kept trying to walk backwards in hopes it would come off.... not the sharpest tool in the shed
June 3rd, 2011, 05:47 AM
inlove08's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
UGh, I'm sorry hun. I hope he's doing well. Thinking of you.

Thank you Vicki.... for my beautiful siggie!!!
June 3rd, 2011, 01:13 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Poor puppy in his cone of shame...

I hope he's feeling better today and that the meds are helping. I've NEVER had that happen... even when my dogs/cats don't follow the rules.... Guess I've been really fortunate.

Hopefully he can find a position that is comfortable and will take it easy.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search