What have you splurged on?

Forum: 2011 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2011 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
June 2nd, 2011, 05:25 PM
Mega Super Mommy
We post a lot about our great thrift store and hand made finds.
I'm curious is there anything that was a total splurge for your babe?

I gotten practically everything on sale, with coupons, or second hand except 4 items.
1)A Stokke stroller because I love the wheels and design. A friend of mine has one and has the easiest time going over snow.
2) A Svan highchair because it matches our dining room decor and will also turn into a regular chair
3) Coach diaper bag because it will take place of my purse. Got it on E bay so it was under retail.
4) Car seat. Can't remember the brand but it was much more than I wanted to spend. Everyone tells me it's "top of the line". I know a little girl who died in a car wreck recently and decided I wasn't going to go cheap here.

I don't feel bad splurging on a few items because the babe also has an entire closet full of clothes(that should last about 9 months) that cost about $200. As well as half of our diapers we are getting for free.
June 2nd, 2011, 05:37 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Uhh... Well... our travel system was $329.... We're buying mostly everything new... so i think we're splurging on everything.
June 2nd, 2011, 05:39 PM
navywifey2003's Avatar Home Birth Mama
Send a message via AIM to navywifey2003
My custom bedding set for sure!

June 2nd, 2011, 05:39 PM
Platinum Supermommy
We haven't really splurged on anything. This baby is costing us enough with out-of-pocket doctor's bills, the hospital bills, etc. I don't care if it makes me sound cheap or anything. I just figure I'd rather get more for the $$.

June 2nd, 2011, 06:08 PM
Mama.Angie's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Our change table and crib. Didn't NEED to buy them, but wanted them anyway. Also,t hey were on sale, so it really wasn't much. $300 for the both of them.
June 2nd, 2011, 06:17 PM
irishblessing's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
The crib bedding set was going to be my splurge item, but I'm having second thoughts about buying it now because I feel like there is other things I should spend money on.

I've bought some brand new nice clothing, like Gymboree, Old Navy, Gap stuff. Though, I was pretty careful to get it on sale.

I've definitely splurged on newborn cloth diapers. I know I'll only get a couple months use out of them but they are so freaking cute I can't resist.

Thank you Vicki for my new siggy!
June 2nd, 2011, 06:20 PM
Platinum Supermommy
I haven't really bought anything because we really don't need anything. I am considering buying the Fisher Price rock n sleeper if DH's cousin is still using the family bassinet.
June 2nd, 2011, 06:33 PM
~Rae~'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Nothing really. I was really careful this time around because we splurged so much on DD, particularly on clothes and shoes. I saw it, I wanted it, I bought it. All we did was shop for the first 6 months because I was a new SAHM and did it for entertainment. I learned through experience that more expensive isn't necessarily better, so everything we bought for X was definitely on a budget.

June 2nd, 2011, 06:37 PM
mafiamom's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
biggest sticker was the bedding i just bought today. i had everything from baby number 1 and i got a TON of awesome like new baby clothes from my niece. i literally dont need one more outfit til this kid turns a year old!!
June 2nd, 2011, 06:41 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I haven't really splurged on anything big yet for the little guy. We overdid it with our youngest one and a lot of things she didn't even use often. So this guy we are getting a lot of the bigger items from my family and friends. I am planning on a crib for him later on.

I have splurged on fabric to make blankies and burp cloths. Does that count?
June 2nd, 2011, 07:00 PM
Just_Marie's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I splurged on everything for DS1 and realized really quickly that he didn't care, lol! For this baby my big splurge will likely be a single BOB stroller, which is really a splurge for me since again, he won't care what he rides in. I'm saving up my coin to take all 5 to Disneyworld again next February for 3 weeks.
Don't get me wrong, there are things that I will absolutely not spend less on, usually related to brand name baby products, but nothing crazy this time. He'll appreciate an education fund when he's 18 more than anything wild right now. Funny the things you learn and are at peace with on the 5th nb
June 2nd, 2011, 07:09 PM
Platinum Supermommy
I haven't really splurged yet, but I really don't need anything either. I'm considering splurging on a jogging stroller. Other than that, I have bought waaaaay too many cloth diapers

June 2nd, 2011, 07:30 PM
~*Nicole*~'s Avatar Nicole
My PPB diaper bag. I definitely didn't need it, but I will use it all the time and it will replace my purse, so I figure it was worth the expense

siggy made by Meredithh90!!!

June 2nd, 2011, 07:42 PM
8miraclez's Avatar Formerly Halfbaked
Almost everything I have has been through a couple kids. I did splurge on a medela Freestyle Breastpump and now I'm so glad I did. I also bought a portable playpen/bassinet because my SIL never gave mine back (she gave it away )

To read updates about our baby born with major birth defects, like our Facebook page
June 2nd, 2011, 07:51 PM
Ben,Logan&Kaitlin'sMommy's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via MSN to Ben,Logan&Kaitlin'sMommy Send a message via Yahoo to Ben,Logan&Kaitlin'sMommy
Kaitlin's new stroller - City Select Jogger & all the accessories were just under $800 that is my big splurge

Our Crew!

Nathan (12) Liam (9) Benjamin (8)
Savannah (6) Logan (4) Katie (21 months)

It may be crazy but we love it!

εϊз Some People Dream of Angels But I Held One In My Arms εϊз
Rebecca Lee Stillborn 10-30-03
June 3rd, 2011, 03:25 AM
Mega Super Mommy
I have to say that we have been fortunate that the higher ticket items have all been purchased for us. I have been really good with shopping on sales and being creative with my decorating to not go overboard. the biggest ticket item WE have purchased was the medela breast pump but it was $280 and I got it on sale with an extra 15% off coupon and got it down to $215....so I still don't think that is bad.......but I consider that a neccessity not a splurge!!!

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
June 3rd, 2011, 03:58 AM
Mega Super Mommy
We haven't really splurged on anything. The only thing we got that I guess would be considered a splurge is the double stroller but I thought that it was going to be necessary with 2 under 2!

Thank you so much AlexAiden Mommy for my beautiful siggy!
June 3rd, 2011, 04:29 AM
I now have a daughter!!!
Great post! I have a TON of clothes for this BG.. probably enough for the first two years of her life. But, I got most of them through garage sales, so I didn't spend a ton. My splurge would probably be her headbands and flowers. I have every color and then some. I've maybe spent about $60 on them?? I also wasn't planning on buying anymore diapers, but I splurged and bought 4 adorable little girl covers for her too

June 3rd, 2011, 07:16 AM
heatherbelle's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Hmm...I'm a huge garage sale shopper, so I've gotten a lot of clothes there so far. My mom went crazy at Carters and got a ton of newborn clothes. I've bought newborn cloth diapers, but I'm so frugal that I planned out and looked for the best deal I could get. Most of them I got on Diaper Swappers. Let's see, something I HAVE bought new is her coming home dress from Emily's etsy shop Don't regret it at all!!

I have to have an ambajam blanket for her, too. Just have to.

Oh, and I bought an ergo. Brand new, but I had a coupon so it was only 60 bucks, which is fairly cheap for them!

~*thank you Alex Aiden Mommy for my siggy!*~

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search