Your naming criteria?

Forum: 2011 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2011 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
June 4th, 2011, 01:12 PM
thepinkleprechaun's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via MSN to thepinkleprechaun
When you are looking for a name for your baby do you have any certain rules?

Mine are:

-Nothing in the top 10, and I won't really consider anything in the top 100!

My name (Katherine) was like #32 overall for the 1980's and I always had at least 1 or 2 other Katie's in my class, which caused me to be called Katie "P" (last name) which of course is hilarious to little kids (PEE!)
I not only check my names for popularity, I check sites that predict popularity. So if the name is predicted to raise 90 percent in the next couple years I won't use it! Unless it's really far down already then it would probably be okay.

-try to avoid long "full" names and you just use the nickname

Now, I don't care if other people do this, I just found it awkward growing up to have to correct people all the time or write down "Katherine" on legal forms when I NEVER, ever, used my full name. It's kind of always felt like it's not my name if that makes sense

-No names starting or ending with "N"

Our last name starts and ends with N and I just think it sounds funny

I'm probably forgetting something here but I was curious what other people's "rules" were
June 4th, 2011, 01:57 PM
tiffany&co.'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I won't pick anything made up, trendy, or spelled weird. I like classic, traditional names that have been around for a long time. My daughter's name is Ella, which technically IS trendy right now. BUT she is named after my grandmother Ella, and I knew for years that I would name my first daughter Ella. The top 10 don't bother me THAT much only because a lot of the time I don't even know of anyone with those names anyway. I think name popularity differs based on where you live too.

Oh - and I hear you on the popular 80's name...Hello, Tiffany! You know what though? It has really never bothered me to have a popular name. It DOES bother me that it is outdated though. Hence the reason I like classic names.

June 4th, 2011, 02:05 PM
I hate made up names and Krea8ive spellings too! I guess basically I like rare, but classic, and the traditional spellings.
June 4th, 2011, 02:53 PM
Platinum Supermommy
I'm total opposite!! I LOVE unique spellings!! My child will be unique and different and I want her name to be different and unique just like her! Nothing too odd or made up, but different then what you hear from day to day. I also like K names for girls and D names for boys. And, I don't want to personally know another person with my child's name. If I hear it, that's fine but I don't want my child's first name to be a name of someone I know. Middle names - that's fine though as our daughter's mn will be after her 2 grandmas.
Baby #2 is on the way!! PROVERBS 3:5-6
June 4th, 2011, 03:07 PM
Platinum Supermommy
I have quite a few

1. Nothing in the top 25, possibly top 50.

2. No creative spellings - they drive me insane.

3. No verbs or nouns, so no Apple or Skyjack Pollywog here.

4. Because our last name starts with K, nothing with a K or hard C start (which sucks because there are several I love, but they sound awkward).

5. Nothing completely made up. Abcd is not a name, it's a string of letters.

6. More than 1 syllable, because the last name is one syllable and it's a little awkward again.

Thanks to Mom2*Lauryn*Jacob* for this beautiful sig!

June 4th, 2011, 03:15 PM
Just to be clear when I talk about Kre8ive spellings I mean something like

Christine....spelled Khrystyne

IMO that is just silly, not unique! If you want a unique name, pick one, and spell it right lol!

Likewise you cannot name a baby Izabellah and be all like "oh her name isn't even on the top 1000 list!"
Yes, yes it is. Isabella.
June 4th, 2011, 03:16 PM
blondie-lox's Avatar Do NOT feed the Troll
I'm picky with names for my kids. There are a lot of names I like that are more trendy but after giving my first born a unique name I had to follow suit for her siblings. I couldn't have a Phoenix and an Ethan or Abigail.

MY criteria for my naming my children is pretty simple.

Nothing in the top 100
Phoenix is in the 800s I believe, but wasn't even in the top 1000 when I had her in 2003. I got a lot of flack for naming her that at the time because unique names hadn't quite become so popular. Lincoln is somewhere in the 200s now, which sucks, but his name was more in the high 300s when I had him. Not on the same level as Phoenix but it was the only name DH and I agreed on. Fallon (this baby) isn't even in the 1000 and hasn't been ever.

Has to go with my sibset
My first is Phoenix Madeline and my second is Lincoln Fox. I didn't really put too much effort into having them coordinate but Phoenix and Lincoln are both cities in the US (unintentional). Also both of my kids names have an "x" and an "e-f-f" sound in them. That was important to me. Fallon Hendrix also fit the theme with having an "x" and an "e-f-f" sound (sorry they have a filter on here and you can't say e-f-f without the dashes). It also came to my attention after we had named this baby that Fallon is also a US city in Neveda, which really sealed the deal for us. Also, Phoenix, Lincoln and Fallon are all surnames. Fallon Hendrix just fit so perfectly with Phoenix Madeline and Lincoln Fox so we decided to use it.

Meaning of the name
The meaning has to make sense, not necessary something pertaining to the child, but enough that it doesn't mean something about a male when the name would be used for a female.
Phoenix, means resurrection and ever lasting life and beauty, I LOVE what her name means.
Lincoln isn't a cool and just means down by the water, but it was okay.
Fallon means descendant of ruler, and let's face it, that's pretty awesome because I know I'm the ruler. LOL!

Girl's names cannot end in a vowel or "Y"
I'm not one for girly names, no "ie" "ee" "ey" "y" or "a" at the end. Just not my style.

Name's cannot start with a vowel for both male or female
It's just not my thing

Has to work with my last name
We have a super common last name, so we had to make sure we didn't know anyone with the same first name with our last name. It also had to sound okay with our last name.

More than 1 syllable
Our last name is 1 syllable, so we wanted at least 2 for a first name

No "unique" spellings
I hate when someone takes a normal name and tries to make it unique by spelling it different, just silly to me

Huge thanks to *Kiliki* for the FANTABULOUS new siggy!!

Last edited by blondie-lox; June 4th, 2011 at 03:19 PM.
June 4th, 2011, 03:48 PM
Mum2LGandC's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
We have a really hard time agreeing on names, but I also don't pick names that are in the top 10. We didn't realize how popular Logan really was until he was the 3rd boy born at our hospital with that name on his birth day.

I totally agree on the creative spellings. I don't mind changing a more common spelling a little bit, but nothing off the wall. We decided to spell Graysen with the "en" at the end to make it look more feminine.

I am also not a fan of using names that just don't fit our culture/heritage. I know that it works for a lot of people, but it's just not for us.

We also give our kids family names for middle names. Their middle names are very traditional, but it fits well since their first names are more "trendy" right now. This baby will also have a traditional family middle name.

Because their names are "trendy", this baby can't very well be a Mary or John. I would like it if they just all kind of fit together.

I also agree with no made up and completely nonsense names like Apple or Moon Unit.

June 4th, 2011, 03:57 PM
BeachMum's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Our only criteria is that it has a good meaning. Our kids names are classic, Elizabeth, David and Joshua.

They are also Biblical and while we are kind of looking at Biblical names, it's not necessary. Our girl's name is not biblical.

June 4th, 2011, 04:11 PM
Mega Super Mommy
None too major.

I prefer to look at names that are linked to our heritage.
My dh is Austrian/hungarian & Irish and I am largely Irish.
I like Irish names, my oldest has an Irish middle name.
My second born is named after his daddy and has an Austrian name.
The next three boys have Irish and English names and all of the boys have a family middle name.

The new baby will be having an Irish name more than likely. We are still firming up.
Other than heritage, I always look up meaning of names too.

We're flexible otherwise!
June 4th, 2011, 05:40 PM
Momof4Boyz's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via MSN to Momof4Boyz
I have a bunch but they usually fail lol.

I like to avoid popular names... yet all three of my kids have very popular names (but for the record they were NOT popular when I named them! lol). I swore I'd never use names that could be used for either gender - yet Jayden and Hunter both can be used for girls!

I'm really hoping this baby ends up with a less common gender-specific name but... who knows lol.

Facebook
June 4th, 2011, 06:33 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via Yahoo to laceymm888
Nothing in the top 100. I don't want my child having the same name as 5 other people in his class. Ridley has never even been in the top 1000 so I think I'm safe there .

No ridiculous spelling.

No made up names.

Ridley Matthew: Born August 23, 2011 weighing 6 pounds 5 oz and 19.5 inches long

June 4th, 2011, 07:58 PM
Andrea1122's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Location: California, Thank you military for sending us back home
I really dont have any. If i like a name it goes on my list. Doesnt matter to me where it falls as far as popularity. I do tend to like more classic type names..

June 4th, 2011, 09:32 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I don't really have anything specific either...if I like it then I like it! I am not for any creative spellings either though...my name was mispronounced my whole life (Lea - but I was always called Lee) so I always said I would give my kids easy to pronounce names. Other than that...nothing with an "L" and we are good to go!
June 5th, 2011, 04:08 AM
Leogirl's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
DH and I are pretty different in our naming styles yet we seem to be able to agree pretty easily. Dh is more classic to rare classic where I'm much more open to anything. We came up with like 10 boy names we loved in one sitting but it was a bit harder for us to pick a girl name. DH insists it HAS to be a girl's name and nothing that could go either way. I pick for meaning as well as uniqueness and I'm ok with different spellings as long as it's still recognizable.

Nara Faye- means Nearest one of the fairies, and Nara has never been in the top 1000, Faye hasn't been in the past 11 years.

Lizabeth Faye-Lizabeth is our play on Elizabeth which is 12 on the list. It means Abundance of fairies.

Pandora Faye- not in the top 1000, and means All gifts of the fairies.

Plus all of our names have personal meaning as well with the exeption of Nara.

June 5th, 2011, 04:20 AM
Timberlyn's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to Timberlyn Send a message via MSN to Timberlyn Send a message via Yahoo to Timberlyn
We search for names that have meaning to us...

Stay out of the Top 50s & try to avoid the Top 100s...
When I picked all my kids names they were not in the Top 50s at all... In facted when I chose Aedan it was in the top 91 & as soon as we decided on the name everyone started naming their child that as well it felt like & it flew up the charts...
Gage was ranked 151 in 2008 that was for the year...
Calum isn't even in the ranking which I love...
The name has to fall with in our hertiage...
DH is Irish Mexican with a hint of Cherokee Indian... While I am Scottish Polish with hints of Cherokee Indian & English (we recently found out my Polish families came to Poland from Romania as well)...

We also like older names not only in spelling but in culture as well...
Aedan - Irish/Gaelic traditional spelling of it as well...
Gage - Old French but we actually can only find it in English history of a General...
Calum - Scottish/Gaelic also the traditional spelling as well...

Family Traditions...
Aedan Thomas - his middle name was passed down from his father so on & so forth...
Gage Lawrence - we gave him his middle name from DH's Brother & Best Friend...
Calum Michael - actually is getting my middle name & will become the 7th generation that lived in the USA alone with the name from my family...

As & Es...
All the kids have to have at least an A or an E if not both in their names both first & middle... I'm am a little concern I wont be able to completely carry on the tradition of this cause there are a few names I love that spellings would quiet match up... But All my names have I's in them so its possible to have that as well...

Meaning...
Aedan Thomas - Aedan: "little fire or firey"... Thomas: "twin" (ironically he was born as a Gemini - which is twins & he has a very firey personality)...
Gage Lawrence - Gage: "pledge; oath"... Lawrence: "from Laurentum" (Laurentum is know for its Laurel Trees which are very peaceful)... Gage is just that very loyal & laid back...
Calum Michael - Calum: "dove" (one of the symbols & beliefs that was God's form to visit his people)... Michael: "who resembles God?" (the two names couldn't combine any better if I tried)...

And to be honest I like my names a little unique... Lochsley actually does not have a meaning to it at all but it was a name used in England during the time of the crusades all the was into the Elizabethon Period... I also like the names of my the countries & some of the cities within them that my families came from... Like Ireland, Scotland, & Britain (although I do like the writting changed up to suit DHs & mine preferances)...

Not to mention my name is completely unique I have no meaning or hertiage behind my name for the longest time we thought I was the only one with my name & when I was in high school a friend of mine his brother's MIL was named Timberlyn as well she is I think 46 when I was 18 & come to find out we were both from the same hometown of Grain Valley I just moved away while attending school... So I am completely open to unique names though the whole Creative thing of changing the names drastically like some people do does freak me out... But I honestly do plan to change my names a little to my liking...

Oh Laurel... There is a Fallon, Missouri too...

Timberlyn loving wife to Tommy (since June 22nd, 2006)
Proud Mommy to Aedan Thomas (June 14th, 2007), Gage Lawrence (August 23rd, 2008) & Callum Michael (September 18th, 2011)
Missing her Angel Judith Aleigh (since September 19th, 2007) & BabyD (since August 26th, 2010)
June 5th, 2011, 06:44 AM
amycc's Avatar Super Mommy
We are trying to not name him anyting too popular, but for some reason all the names we love are in the top 20, and it's driving us crazy!!

June 5th, 2011, 08:46 AM
Papasgirl's Avatar Down Syndrome Pregnancy
Our only criteria is that we find a name with sentimental/family meaning....Lilly Leona is our daughter's name. Her first name is after her great, great grandmother Lillian who is 99 and still living and Leona was my Mom's first name. Both very meaningful. This baby will be Emma Marie....Emma for Dh's favorite Aunt who passed a few years back and Marie was my mother's middle name and her mother's name. Just like to stay kind of traditional

Baby Girl Anastasia is my Rainbow!! Diagnosed with T21...
We will journey together

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search