out of control weight gain

Forum: 2011 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2011 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
June 6th, 2011, 04:34 AM
leela57's Avatar ~Holly~
So i had my 16 wk appt on Friday, and i have gained 7 pds since my 12 wk appt. A total of 14 pds since i got preggers. Not fun. The dr said I need to practice portion control- i felt like telling her where she could go with her "portion control"!

I'm not a health nut by any means, but I'm pretty healthy. I have been walking 3 miles a night and watching what i eat. I really have no idea why i have gained 7 pds, but as of right now I really will be a whale when baby gets here.

Anyone else having trouble with weight?

Make a pregnancy ticker
June 6th, 2011, 07:54 AM
JadaJade's Avatar Super Mommy
Send a message via Skype™ to JadaJade
yes, i have lost ten pounds, my doctor isn't happy. I'm thinner everywhere but my belly, and I've still had to get bigger sizes... I hope my baby's healthy.. but... baby can steal all of momma's fat if they want. Take it!!

Lil' Mister, Spencer James is due to arrive 11/1/11!
GO TEAM BLUE!!
June 6th, 2011, 08:10 AM
Carey
Has she thought that maybe she should check to make sure you don't have something more going on? Weight gain isn't always just cramming food in, sometimes it is thyroid or diabetes or a number of other things especially if you are exercising as much as you are.

June 6th, 2011, 08:50 AM
Mega Super Mommy
ive gained 11 pounds as of today. I can gain up to 42 but im in hopes i will keep it to 30.

Try not to worry to much. Try replacing some of the food you can. If there is sometihng more healthy try eating that. Also, get enough water or it could just be water weight. If you dont drink enough your body will hold on to what you do drink. Also, watch the salt.
June 6th, 2011, 10:35 AM
Mega Super Mommy
I've lost 15 since finding out I was pregnant. Haven't gained back much of any of it. I'm not skinny to begin with tho, so it's not a big deal for me. My dr wasn't worried either.

In loving memory of our angel baby, with us for 4 weeks. Baby went to be with God July 24th, 2009.

June 6th, 2011, 10:36 AM
promises1's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
They say you should gain 1 lb per week in the 2nd trimester so really you would only be 3 pounds over the average. That doesn't seem out of control to me and you are exercising. I wouldn't worry too much you sound like you are on the right track.

June 6th, 2011, 11:28 AM
Platinum Supermommy
I just read by 18 weeks I should have gained at least 10 pounds, there is no way I am gaining what I need to gain and I am very inactive (lazy lol)

I would talk to your dr and see if she can run some tests to make sure everything is ok
June 6th, 2011, 11:57 AM
Kittynoah's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I don't understand why some docs freak about weight gain. Some women just gain more in the beginning and then it tapers near the end. If it was continuing to climb unreasonable after several appointments - then maybe.

I agree that if the doc is that worried then they should do a thyroid or diabetes check - not just lecture you!

Disclaimer...I am super sensitive about my weight as I am in recovery from a serious eating disorder. So my doc doesn't even mention my weight unless she thinks something is wrong. I even weigh backwards a the doc's office so I don't have to know.

June 6th, 2011, 12:26 PM
Mom to minions's Avatar Super Mommy
WOW. I would tell your Dr. to stick it... Ok, I am not very nice today... I still would though. lol Mine has said nothing. Then again, I am already overweight. AND I have had a history of gaining over 30lbs during pregnancy and 2 weeks after delivery being 5 lbs UNDER pre pregnancy weight.

Either way, inform them that you are and if they make another comment, tell them your opinion.
Pork (Laurence) 9/09 ~ 8lbs 3oz @ 36 1/2 weeks
2 angels in heaven 10/06 and 01/11
June 6th, 2011, 12:59 PM
leela57's Avatar ~Holly~
thanks ladies!

Im pretty sensitive about my weight, so the last thing i wanted to hear was i need to do a better job...when i am constantly worried about it. If i gain another 7 i will insist on tests, im hoping it was just a big month...

also, im going in for blood work to test for downs and all the other things- if something is off wont that show up in my blood work? anyone know?

Make a pregnancy ticker
June 6th, 2011, 02:07 PM
promises1's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Most common reason for weight gain would show up under a thyroid check (TSH). I would suggest you request this test to be added to your lab slip.

June 6th, 2011, 02:44 PM
missy123's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I gained 70+ lbs with each of my boys... Yes, 70! and I lost it all eventually. Please try not to put so much stress on yourself for weight gain. As long as you and the baby are healthy and ok that is all that matters.

Pregnancy Loss April 2009, September 2010
CP 10/2008, 1/3/11 {missing my babies every single day}Mommy to 4 Children - 3 boys ages 22, 21 and 18 & baby Scarlett
After 2.5 years TTC with 4 losses our Family was given the gift of Miss Scarlett
Do not ever give up hope...

Miss Scarlett... Our miracle girl still brings happy tears to my eyes.

June 6th, 2011, 07:52 PM
**Linda**
Holly, come sit by me!!! I have gained so much weight, and been walking, and eating veggies and fruits. I thought that by not drinking alcohol I would actually lose some weight. That has definitely not happened!! I go on Friday for my 16 week, and I'm TERRIFIED of stepping on the scale!!! As I write this, I'm starving!!!

June 7th, 2011, 03:26 AM
leela57's Avatar ~Holly~
Thanks, ladies!

Linda, I hope your scale experience goes better than mine!! Like the ladies said, as long as you and baby are healthy that is all that matters. Right? Ugh, i hate scales! I hope your dr is a little better than mine and doesnt give you a lecture on portion control. Not helpful.

Make a pregnancy ticker
June 7th, 2011, 05:03 AM
Mega Super Mommy
I gained 12 pounds between 12 and 16 weeks with DD. Then 9 between 16 and 20. My doctor never said anything about it. So far I have gained somewhere between 5-8 pounds by week 14. I am not concerned with it at all.

June 7th, 2011, 06:46 AM
lynnette74's Avatar Super Mommy
I know how you feel.. I have gained around 10 pd already too... and unfortunately I had gained 10 before I was pregnant due to the hormones from IVF... I think 1/2 of the weight has gone to my breasts!! hahahaha It is hard because I am usually very thin and now all I see is huge breasts!!!

I try hard not to worry because it is totally worth it!!!

IVF Cycle #1
01/18/11... Egg Retrieval - 22 Eggs!
01/19/11... RE called: 15 eggs mature and of those 12 eggs fertilized!
01/21/11... RE called 7 eggs are good quality, 3 eggs are questionable, and 2 eggs didn't advance and were disgarded.
01/23/11.. 5day Transfer - 2 Embryo - Quality 1DD - No embryo's made it to freeze.
IVF Cycle #2
02/16/11... Egg Retrieval - 11 Eggs
02/17/11... RE called: 9 eggs mature and all 9 eggs fertilized!!!
02/19/11... 3day Transfer - (3) 8 Cell Perfect Embryo - No Fragmentation - No embryo's made it to freeze.
02/26/11... HPT - very light BFP 02/28/11... Beta Test - 12dpo - 20
14dpo - 31 / 16dpo - 75.3 / 19dpo - 343.4 / 21dpo - 1028 / 23dpo - 2459 / 26dpo - 5933 / 29dpo - 13643
03/10 - Saw Sac and Yolk - - 03/16 - Saw Heartbeat!!!!

Remembering my lost one 02/05/09
June 7th, 2011, 06:50 AM
ashleyjo's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
How ridiculous.. Like the other ladies said, if your doc is concerned with you gaining 'too much' weight, he/she should be looking into it, not lecturing you when it sounds like you're doing everything right! Sorry hun.. Hope your next appt is better!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search