Did you drink the recommended amount of water for U/S ?

Forum: 2011 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2011 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
June 6th, 2011, 09:40 AM
Mega Super Mommy
I have my big ultrasound today at 1pm and the instruction sheet says to drink a minimum of 1 liter of water and to finish it 1 hr before the appointment, I seriously do not think this is possible with out peeing my pants. If I drink 1 large glass of water I must pee after 30 minutes so there is no way I am going to be able to hold a whole liter for 1+ hours. I think I will have a large glass right before I leave and then take a small bottle with me, do you think that will be ok? Any one else not drink the recommended amount?
When I was pregnant with my first my bladder must have been much stronger because it wasn't a problem then and with my second they told me to just have a couple of glasses in the waiting room and even then they asked me to let some out because it was too full.

Last edited by V.I.Mommy; June 6th, 2011 at 10:19 AM.
June 6th, 2011, 09:47 AM
10x_A_Mommy's Avatar formerly mom_of_8
I never do, the times I did they told me my bladder was TOO full and made me empty it so I went through the full bladder torture for nothing.
Tristan ~ lost 2/6/03 @ 20 weeks

June 6th, 2011, 10:04 AM
Olivia&DelilahsMommy's Avatar Married to my soulmate :)
My OB in FL when I was pregnant with DD made you drink 48oz and hold it for the U/S...which was terrible torture.
Here in MS, they say it isn't necessary and really doesn't make a difference at all, which is what I have read online here and there as well.

Thanks to Jaidynsmum for my siggy!!
June 6th, 2011, 10:14 AM
Ree!'s Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Weird, I've never with my son nor this pregnancy been asked to drink a large amount of water before an U/S. I have had the techs with both pregnancy's comment that I probably am an avid water drinker (and I am!) because the 3D images always come out very clear. (More or less amniotic fluid can affect the image quality, apparently)

When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace.
- Jimi Hendrix

June 6th, 2011, 10:50 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via Yahoo to countryjewelsc
i've never been told to drink extra water before an u/s. with DS, they told me to empty my bladder before my u/s

www.facebook.com/babylovecustoms, specializing in custom embroidery for children.

Make a pregnancy ticker
June 6th, 2011, 11:22 AM
Veteran
My ob has never told me to drink water before an appointment. The first thing they make me do every time I go is pee in a cup, so I can't imagine them ever asking me to keep a full bladder.

June 6th, 2011, 11:32 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Thanks ladies! That is so strange how some places require a full bladder and some don't. I guess I won't stress about it too much. I am going to try for half the water but I will drink it just before I leave and not 1 hr before the appointment- it would be just my luck to drink all that water 1 hr before and then get there to find out they are running an hour late or something.
June 6th, 2011, 11:53 AM
Kittynoah's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
The only time I've had to have a full bladder for an u/s was when they were scanning my ovaries and I wasn't pregnant. I think to see some of the organs it is easier to reflect the u/s off a full bladder.

With pregnancy u/s they have never said anything about drinking water and actually had me empty my bladder to see the baby better!

June 6th, 2011, 12:16 PM
Kit Kat's Avatar Photoshop Addict
Send a message via Yahoo to Kit Kat
I did with Ian and just about peed my pants! I drank extra water with Bella, but nowhere near the 32 oz that they said!

June 6th, 2011, 12:16 PM
Mega Super Mommy
i was told to drink water right before the appt when i was 8 weeks. At 12 weeks they told me to go to the bathroom half way through because my bladder was blocking the view lol

I have read its best to make sure you drink lots of water in the days before a 3d ultrasound because it makes the picture better quality
June 6th, 2011, 12:29 PM
Twirlbird's Avatar Mia and Henry's Mama
Send a message via MSN to Twirlbird
I had to drink the water before my ultrasound... I had to pee TWICE cause apparently I had too much water(yet I only drank thee 16oz they told me). Dear god that was torture! Telling a pregnant woman with a full bladder go pee a little should not be done!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR
John Henry Clifton aka Henry: April 11th 2013

New Signature coming soon
June 6th, 2011, 12:48 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I never have to drink water before the u/s during pregnancy...the reason they make you do that is to push it to the surface to make it easier to see but if you're pregnant, they don't need you to have a full bladder....I can't believe places still make you do that!
June 6th, 2011, 01:58 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via Yahoo to rancherandcitygal
Never had to drink water for any of my ultrasounds

June 7th, 2011, 01:29 AM
Expecting #1
I heard it depends on the ultrasound machine they use. I'm not sure though.

At my hospital, they tell you a full bladder isn't needed. Where I go privately, they say to drink a liter an hour before and have a full bladder for the scan. I did it the first time I had a private scan and it was terrible. When I went for my 16 week scan with them, I ignored them and didn't drink a ton. It made no difference! So..I won't bother again.

Olivia Ann born October 12 2011, 5lb 6oz

June 7th, 2011, 05:08 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by mama2seven View Post
I never do, the times I did they told me my bladder was TOO full and made me empty it so I went through the full bladder torture for nothing.
That is what happened to me as well. I don't think I will drink the recommended amount for that reason!

June 7th, 2011, 05:37 AM
tasha221's Avatar Veteran
Send a message via AIM to tasha221 Send a message via MSN to tasha221
I had to drink the water before my u/s with my first 3 kids. When I had the u/s with this one I asked them how much water I need to drink and they just said "You don't have to drink any water before the appt if you don't want too". I thought it was weird but I had another u/s at a different place and they said no need to drink water too. I was happy cause I hated it when they pushed on my belly when I was about to pee my pants. lol
June 7th, 2011, 05:49 AM
Cheshire's Avatar Mommy to three beauties!
I never do and I always explain that I just CAN'T. Most of the time, they tell me they don't need me to. My last ultrasound at 35 weeks with my last baby (I was measuring small so they check it out sometimes), they argued with me and insisted but if I drink too much, I end up having massive pain and crying through the whole ultrasound (happened with my first pregnancy, they said there's the heartbeat and I cried and said 'cool can i pee'). I ended up getting my way and the ultrasound was totally fine. Most places tell me that as far along as we are now, we shouldn't have to.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search