Do I just have a night owl?

Forum: 2011 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2011 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
June 6th, 2011, 05:51 PM
Crafty Mommy
Sorry to be a stranger on here, I know it's been awhile! I was reading the bedtime thread and am thinking I have a serious night owl on my hands! Bria doesn't go to bed till 10:30-11:30!!

I start the bedtime routine when I get home at 8 with playtime, a bath, bottle, book and usually another bottle (snack) to get her to sleep. She'll normally knock out at 11ish when I go to bed. Then she's up around 4-5AM wanting to eat and go back to sleep. She'll get up for the day by 8 or 9, then take a bottle and back down for a nap. After that, she's up for the rest of the day with a few 20min naps here or there. What am I doing wrong?

I don't mind her night hours because I get up at 4:30 for work, but I'd like to have a little time at night with DH and I while she's sleeping. Plus I get comments from the neighbor that she's up WAY too late! I can't help it, YOU get her down before then, is what I wanna say! Any suggestions?

June 6th, 2011, 05:53 PM
jaime9's Avatar Veteran
Your schedule sounds great to me lol

where does she sleep?
June 6th, 2011, 06:03 PM
Crafty Mommy
Really? I'm not putting her to bed too late?

She sleeps in her crib for most of the night (for about a week now), and when she wakes up, sometimes DH puts her in her bouncy seat and brings her next to our bed. I think at 4 AM it isn't worth the battle of getting her back in the crib. It kind of varies after she wakes up where she ends up! :-(

June 6th, 2011, 06:22 PM
brie_91's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Sadie goes to bed around the same time. there are even nights that I will lay her down at 11 and she will wake up an hour later and be up until 3 in the morning! (those nights suck!) Its seriously impossible to get a baby to fall asleep if they dont want to go to sleep! I think there has only been one time she has went to sleep before 10 and slept through the night. Sorry I'm no help, but you're not alone
June 6th, 2011, 06:50 PM
jaime9's Avatar Veteran
You could try putting her down earlier.they say the earlier the later they sleep.sleep promotes sleep.
but i say if it ain't broke, don't fix it lol
June 6th, 2011, 07:00 PM
monkeymama2's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I think with my first she was like this, and around 5-6 months I decided to let her CIO for a few nights, and it worked. I'm not saying that's what you should do---only that I think it's not uncommon for babies to resist going to sleep earlier at this age. I feel lucky that Ruby goes to bed easily between 7 and 8, and I have no idea why she does because I didn't do anything different. Does she "nap" in the evening? If you get home at 8, and she went to bed early, she wouldn't really see you would she?
June 6th, 2011, 07:22 PM
MomtoParker's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
We don't put Parker to bed until between 10-10:30. Then he sleeps until about 6:30, wakes up, eats a little, and goes back to sleep for about another hour or so. He naps a lot during the day, too. He takes a good midmorning nap, an afternoon nap, and an evening nap that are pretty good size. Then he catnaps here and there. He plays really hard for the hour/hour and a half that he is up, gets sleepy, and wants to nap.

I think that if everything seems fine, don't worry too much about it. Maybe try putting her down a little earlier if she will. It might take a bit for her to find her groove though, but maybe she will sink into a new schedule eventually.

June 7th, 2011, 06:27 AM
Jennyt13's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I read somewhere - and I forget where now - that right around this time, if you work - babies will want so spend time with you when they see you! I'm guessing that may contribute to her not wanting to go to bed right away. Your job has you out later - so she wants to stay up later to be with mama.

Just a thought - I just started a routine last night. I'm goign to see how it goes - but, if it goes like last night it was perfect!

Home @ 4:30
Nurse @ 5:30
Food (veggies) @ 6:30
Bottle @ 7:00
Bath @ 7:30
Nurse @ 8:00
Bed by 8:15
Woke up at 6:45am

Only problem is - he has been going to bed at 9:30 - and I missed the little guy after I put him down!

Michael Joseph Born 1/14/11 at 2:46pm
Baby Christian - born into heaven at 22 weeks gestation - 7/14/12

Starting IVF/PGD - September 2012
47 eggs retrieved (OUCH!)
38 eggs mature
26 eggs fertilized
10 embryos biopsied
3 embryos - 2 boys, 1 girl are waiting to be transferred - transferring 1 boy 1 girl on first FET!!!

2/12/13 - FET - Cancelled due to fluid in the uterus
2/20/13 - Hysteroscopy scheduled - 1 polyp removed.

4/10/13 - FET - 2 embies transferred as planned! 1 boy 1 girl!
4/22/13 - Trying to wait to test - Beta scheduled!! -
7/31/13 - FET - 1 embie transferred - 1 boy
8/7/13 - 7dp5dt - - but very light
8/9/13 - 9dp5dt - - no mistaking this one!
8/12/13 - 1st Beta scheduled - 64
8/14/13 - 2nd Beta scheduled - only 10
03/03/14 - FET #3 - 1 embie transferred - 1 girl
3/11/14 - FAINT BFP
3/13/14 - HCG only 20.2
3/17/14 - HCG rose to 151!!!
3/20/14 - HCG rose again - 630! Nurse was in shock!
3/27/14 - Ultrasound scheduled - HB Found! 6w1d 124bpm
4/3/14 - Second Ultrasound - Still doing well!
4/14/14 - First OB appointment - looking good!
June 7th, 2011, 07:37 AM
keekopeeko's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
You said you get home at 8! so in that case why would you even WANT her to go to bed earlier... seems like you have a great routine that fits your life perfectly for now!

~Em

June 7th, 2011, 01:58 PM
MandiK's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Location: Among the trees and stars, the drum beat never fades ...
Send a message via AIM to MandiK
It's not about when they sleep, just that they sleep long enough. Sofie doesn't go to bed until midnight most nights, often times later than that. Then she sleeps until 7-8, wakes to eat, and goes back out until 10 or so. We're just on a different schedule than the rest of the world. No harm in it, it just makes people (like your neighbor) who think the world only operates on an early up, early out schedule feel weird.
June 7th, 2011, 03:11 PM
Mommyx12's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by MandiK View Post
It's not about when they sleep, just that they sleep long enough. Sofie doesn't go to bed until midnight most nights, often times later than that. Then she sleeps until 7-8, wakes to eat, and goes back out until 10 or so. We're just on a different schedule than the rest of the world. No harm in it, it just makes people (like your neighbor) who think the world only operates on an early up, early out schedule feel weird.
I agree. I am a night person so my babies often stay up later than most "think" they should. It kinda stinks for me right now since I'm working days now. I'd like to get to bed earlier but she's not always ready. Or my problem is if I get her to sleep and lay her down and she wakes up, she'll be up for a bit and fighting going back to sleep. I'll be working 3-11 after i finish orientation so that will work soooo much better for us for lots of reasons. I say if the only reason you're worried is because of what others are telling you then don't worry about it. it will be fine.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search