Car Seat safety concerns, what would you do?

Forum: 2011 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2011 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
June 7th, 2011, 09:17 AM
Expecting #1
My husband and I are looking at car seat options and had decided we would import a seat from the US when we are there on holiday. I personally think the safety standards are better there, than here (UK)..Here is an example of a popular seat here

It concerns me because there's nothing going over the legs(although SOME, have that bit..most don't though) and none have the chest clip because according to the EU it takes too long to undo a chest clip in the case of an accident. I raised my nephew for his first two years of his life in the US, and I never had an issue not being able to get him out in one action..chest clip was undone with one hand as I pressed the button to release it at the crotch with my other hand.

I'm not trying to attack a country or their rules, but it's just something I feel is important because I just think (as has happened before) if a newborn can come out of a vagina with a few pushes, surely they can slide right out of that much easier in an accident? :/

Anyway, we were all set to import a seat from the US, but the more I think about it, I am worried that if God forbid we ARE in an accident and something happens, we can be held liable and get into all sorts of legal trouble for "not securing the child properly" because we used a seat from a country outside the EU.

The chances of either thing happening are very slim, I know, but it's enough to really get me thinking about it. I've always been really passionate about car seat safety and I just feel quite torn about what to do in this instance. What would you do? Would you risk the seat you think isn't safe enough, or risk getting in trouble for using the seat you think is better?

Olivia Ann born October 12 2011, 5lb 6oz

June 7th, 2011, 09:52 AM
Olivia&DelilahsMommy's Avatar Married to my soulmate :)
My friend just had this SAME issue as she is moving back to Australia and their car seats there aren't as safe. She found out though, if her child was injured in a car accident that no insurance would cover any injuries to the child.
Personally, I'd take a safer car seat....that car seat you posted scares the bejeezus out of me, I can see the baby flying right out of it!

I guess it depends on what you feel as a gut instinct to do...

Thanks to Jaidynsmum for my siggy!!
June 7th, 2011, 09:55 AM
10x_A_Mommy's Avatar Plus 1 :)
Wow, I definitely wouldn't feel comfortable having my child in that seat. No straps over the legs AND no chest clip?? I think the risk of getting in trouble over the car seat you use if you were to get in an accident is well worth better protecting your child.
Tristan ~ lost 2/6/03 @ 20 weeks

June 7th, 2011, 09:56 AM
Expecting #1
Well, we don't have to worry about insurance paying for injury since we have universal health care here, but..I'm terrified of going to jail or something crazy!

But I know, I just had a look at two websites for stores here (mothercare, and kiddicare) and could only find 1 brand of car seat that even has the straps over the thighs, everything else looks like the picture posted. :/ I just remember doing so much research when I had my nephew and I'm not sure I could ever risk using one of these seats after that. My gut is telling me to pray I never have to deal with it, and go with the safer seat. But my brain is telling me to think about it. :/

June 7th, 2011, 10:41 AM
Olivia&DelilahsMommy's Avatar Married to my soulmate :)
I think not having the chest clip there scares me more than anything!!
I really hope you come to a good conclusion, and can figure something out.

Thanks to Jaidynsmum for my siggy!!
June 7th, 2011, 10:56 AM
Mega Super Mommy
We live in Canada but use an American seat which is apparently illegal to do. At the time that we bought the seat for DS#2 it was a better/safer seat with a higher weight limit than any that were available in Canada at the time, now of course the rules in Canada are different and there are now a wide variety of higher weight/ safer seats available. However in the interest of saving money and because I really don't feel it is necessary to buy an entirely new seat when the only difference would be a tiny sticker on the back that makes it legal in Canada we have continued to use the seat and will use it for the new baby when he/she outgrows the infant seat we have.
We have been through numerous police car seat checks and not a single police officer has ever said a word.

After seeing that picture of the type of seats available to you, if I were you I wouldn't hesitate to import a safer seat. I think the benefits of a much safer seat totally out weigh the risk of using a non approved seat.
June 7th, 2011, 12:41 PM
mysweetember
I would rather trust the safety of the US carseats! I'm shocked by that carseat!
June 7th, 2011, 01:19 PM
SoCaliMommy's Avatar Super Mommy
Wow that is just a scary carseat. I did a search or britax & UK and this came up and they are safe seats and have chest clips and straps going over the legs BRITAX Child Car Seats - BRITAX

Last edited by SoCaliMommy; June 7th, 2011 at 01:23 PM.
June 7th, 2011, 02:05 PM
Expecting #1
Socalimommy, are you saying it has a chest clip because you see one(I'm looking but dont see it?), or because it claims it has a "five point harness"? Over here, a five point harness just means it has the straps over the legs. There are no chest clips in their counting.

Ah, yeah, I just watched the video of the seats you linked me to, there's no chest clips in their 5 point harnessed seats. They're not legal here...it's crazy.

Last edited by AshEE86; June 7th, 2011 at 02:07 PM.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search