Proof our health care system is **** up.

Forum: 2011 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2011 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
June 18th, 2011, 03:04 PM
SpankyMagoo's Avatar Gonna make Jo a big sis
A couple weeks ago, I went into L&D... just to get monitored cause I was having contractions. I went in... lied in their bed for an hour with the monitor on... and they stuck a piece of paper in my pee. That was it. No cervical check. No blood work. No nothin... just get watched for an hour.

Today I got the bill.... $1500.

REALLY!? What exactly do you think you deserve $1500 bucks for!?!?! The nurse checked on me maybe 3 times for 30 seconds while I was on the monitor... then stuck the lil piece of paper in my pee and sent me home.

Now, I only have to pay $150... but no wonder our healthcare system is so messed up!!!!

I am totally amazed.

June 18th, 2011, 03:07 PM
ahruska's Avatar Super Mommy
I totally agree! When DH broke his elbow and had to have outpatient surgery and CT scans it was tens of thousands of dollars. Can you imagine if you had some major surgery or cancer that required tons of treatment. It's unreal how much they can charge.

June 18th, 2011, 03:08 PM
Quantum_Leap's Avatar frequent flier
Yup, yup, yup. I couldn't agree with you more. For the last few years we've only had international health insurance coverage (two different policies), since we've been living abroad and that's what's provided by the school. Guess what they all say? "We provide coverage in every country of the world except the United States." All of them. You simply cannot buy international health insurance coverage that will cover you in the U.S., because our medical costs here are beyond insanity. It's atrocious, and appalling, and a downright crime.

I am very glad that you don't have to pay the full $1500 bill, but still. Our system needs changing, that's for sure!

Thank you to the SSMC makers for my beautiful siggies!

(x2)(x2)(October 2011)
June 18th, 2011, 03:17 PM
Destiny
Last pregnancy they charged me $1000 for the contraction monitor alone, and it kept slipping off and being otherwise worthless. I can't remember what the bill came to, but I know I ended up paying $300+

June 18th, 2011, 03:21 PM
Happy Mommy
I'm surprised you even got charged? around here they can't submit a L&D charge without admitting you, and they won't admit you to L&D for monitoring.
June 18th, 2011, 04:31 PM
Demetria's Avatar Mama to an Angel :(
I haven't gotten my bill yet, I wonder how much it will be, I already have a huge stack of bills that I have to pay for, random things like labs and such....Yes the health care system is ridiculous!
June 18th, 2011, 04:52 PM
Mega Super Mommy
UGH! I got monitored for 30 min. a week or two ago, they took my pee and the nurse checked me. I am Not excited about getting that bill. I plan on waiting until I am 100% sure I am in real labor next time I go in (unless there's no baby movement or something else) now that I know these contractions aren't doing anything.

June 18th, 2011, 06:01 PM
CherishC's Avatar Super Mommy
I know its so crazy how much they charge you.. I don't even wanna know what a years worth of bills are for me and esp now.

June 18th, 2011, 06:17 PM
Loving6's Avatar Formerly Loving4
They really put it to people with health insurance coverage to cover people without insurance.It's not fair but that is how they make their money back.Plus you can get an itemized bill to be sure you was only charged for the care you did get.

Mom to Dustin Jr, Jarren, Nathan, Alivia, Ava, & Ariea

June 18th, 2011, 06:18 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Yeah, and try not having insurance. I still owe $5,500 for Ollie's one night hospital stay. Then all of Lucy's recent x-rays and u/s's....and of course...everything for this baby. Self employeed insurance is way too expensive though. So we're stuck.

June 18th, 2011, 06:41 PM
raeraed's Avatar Veteran
Wow!! That is insane!! And I thought it was ridiculous that my dr charges the same for nonstress tests as she does ultrasounds! (I have nst's every week)
June 18th, 2011, 07:20 PM
*~Amanda~*'s Avatar Hostest with the mostest
Send a message via Skype™ to *~Amanda~*
I would be mad getting a bill like that. Now I did get a bill for my 20 week u/s. It was $1100 cause the midwife coded it wrong and TriCare doesn't pay for "routine" u/s. I did that u/s in lieu of doing all the other genetic testing. Of course TriCare still considered that "routine". They don't consider the risk of preterm labors/births or prior preterm labors/births enough of a reason to do an u/s.

The govt really needs to get their heads out of their arses and figure out our healthcare system so that people can get the care that they need without having to pay an arm, leg and the first born child.

June 18th, 2011, 07:29 PM
MissImpatientlyWaiting's Avatar Super Mommy
Yep I totally agree. Thankfully I have medicaid, if I didn't there is no way I could handle these bills alone. I had an ultrasound at 34 weeks because I was measuring small. Caleb was fine of course but I caught a glimpse of the paper before I handed it to the receptionist $600 for the ultrasound alone! Seriously that much just for running that little thing over my belly! Insane!!!
June 18th, 2011, 10:23 PM
Quantum_Leap's Avatar frequent flier
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loving4 View Post
They really put it to people with health insurance coverage to cover people without insurance.It's not fair but that is how they make their money back.Plus you can get an itemized bill to be sure you was only charged for the care you did get.
Yeah, but they never tell you ahead of time what the bill is going to be. Honestly, they could write whatever the hell they wanted on there, and there's nothing you could do about it. It's not really a free market when only one party is in control of the price and the other party has no say about it whatsoever. Honestly, it doesn't matter whether someone is insured or uninsured, the prices should not be that high for ANYONE. (And somehow, the rest of the world manages to keep them much lower, so go figure).

Thank you to the SSMC makers for my beautiful siggies!

(x2)(x2)(October 2011)
June 19th, 2011, 05:15 AM
2pinks&ablue's Avatar Chantelle
Oh my gosh! Being from Canada, this is totally shocking to me! I guess I never really gave enough thought to how lucky we are with our healthcare system!
June 19th, 2011, 06:46 AM
Mega Super Mommy
I am afraid of what our delivery hospital bill is going to be. I have no clue right now.

http://hkystar.blogspot.com

June 19th, 2011, 08:49 AM
Happy Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quantum_Leap View Post
Yeah, but they never tell you ahead of time what the bill is going to be. Honestly, they could write whatever the hell they wanted on there, and there's nothing you could do about it. It's not really a free market when only one party is in control of the price and the other party has no say about it whatsoever. Honestly, it doesn't matter whether someone is insured or uninsured, the prices should not be that high for ANYONE. (And somehow, the rest of the world manages to keep them much lower, so go figure).
you can ask to have some one from patient finance coem in and explain to you what the charge is for the proposed care, before you concent.

and always remember you can refuse any 'care' proposed if you think it is not nessicary. (I refused alot of the first appt screening because I knew they could obtain the info from my transfer chart when it came)
June 19th, 2011, 08:53 AM
Mischief Managed's Avatar Super Mommy
Send a message via MSN to Mischief Managed
That is bad! I had no idea a baby was so expensive anyways. Think about it: babies (pregnancy) and labor is like 70% of all hospital profit. I have been getting my doctor bill, and since my past insurance was crap (I had to pay 20% of every bill) it KILLED me. It still amazes me that a urine test at my past office, that I had to take every trip, was $70 and both ultrasounds were nearly $600 each. Don't even get me started on the $700 blood tests they do. It isn't fair! You would think people would be pro-life and wanting to make it easier for pregnant women. Imagine someone who was in your situation and didn't have insurance. That 1500 bill is WAY too much! So I totally agree (to a certain extent) At least your bill is only $150! Next time I suggest waiting until you know you are having contractions with a pattern and for a few hours before going in.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search