Bottles/Pacies?

Forum: 2011 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2011 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
June 19th, 2011, 07:31 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Are you sticking with one brand and hoping baby takes it? Or are you going to have several on hand?
My mom got me a basket at a charity auction it had about 6 born free bottles with extra nipples, those obviously can't be returned. I also got some tommy tippie bottles and Dr Browns at my shower. I am trying to decide if I want to return them now and get some things I need OR I will put them in closet and open them if I need them and return them later (those bottles are about $20 for 3). Also keep in mind the plan is to breast feed so I shouldn't be using too many bottles. How many do I need? Same thing with pacies, I have about 3 varieties Tommy Tippie, MAM and Born Free. I sterilized all of those (since they are pretty cheap) do I need to buy more just in case?
Have your kids taken what you gave them or were they picky when it came to bottles and pacies?
June 19th, 2011, 07:41 AM
Platinum Supermommy
I have various kinds of bottles, but I hopefully won't use them or a least not often. For soothers, I have soothies, and other ones similar. I hope they take them because they just seem cleaner than the rubber attached to the plastic kind (hair and dirt get stuck in between the rubber/plastic). The soothies are all one piece.

with DD it was a lot of trial and error for both, bottles, soothers, and formula.

For bottles we used the Playtex drop ins with the old school nipples. For soothers we used ones that I can't remember the name, and it took us about 5 different tries with formula before we found Enfamil low iron (she was a constipated baby).
June 19th, 2011, 07:43 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Kaiya took would have taken whatever bottle but I just used nuk. As far as pacis go she would only take nook.

I still have a couple nuk bottles but mainly playtex this time. I got a couple nuk pacis but that's it.

June 19th, 2011, 08:14 AM
Happy Mommy
L took whatever bottle was put in her mouth, she didn't care.

C had issues, but well she had other issues, with bottles. but I don't anticipate that being an issue.
June 19th, 2011, 12:30 PM
Platinum Supermommy
DD and DS took whatever bottles they were given, which was primarily the Playtex Vent Aire. Neither one took pacis - they're both thumb suckers. DD was sucking hers by 4 weeks. DS started with fingers and ended up with his thumb. I tried pacis with both, but they just didn't want them.
June 19th, 2011, 01:08 PM
Mega Super Mommy
We have 5 bottles, 2 are plastic and 3 are glass. I don't have a clue what brand they are. We went with the mid priced ones on the shelf.

We've been given about 4 binkies but are going to try to avoid them if possible. My husband thinks they cause mouth problems and my mom says they are ugly. I don't really care either way, but if they help calm baby I'm using them!
June 19th, 2011, 01:20 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to momopotamus Send a message via MSN to momopotamus
i have 4 tommee tippee bottles, i will probably grab a starter pack of playtex drop ins and we'll go from there. For pacis, they give you the soothie ones in the hospital, and i'll pick up a pack of the Nuk ones and we'll just use whatever she prefers.

TTC #4 since 9/2013 150mg Clomid BFP 5/22/14! Stick Bean Stick!
We have a heartbeat :-) EDD 1/31/15!

June 19th, 2011, 01:24 PM
Mega Super Mommy
DS probably would have taken any bottle, but had spit-up issues until we tried Dr. Brown's. So if and when I use a bottle with this LO, I will start with those.

As for pacifiers, the only ones we used with DS were Soothies. That was what he was given in the NICU. He never *really* took to it, so we didn't use for long. For this LO, I have 3-4 brands on hand. I hope not to use at all, but I won't hesitate if that is what it takes to soothe this LO!!

Lew, 1, DSD Lauren, 18, and Chuck, 4
June 19th, 2011, 02:41 PM
Super Mommy
Here's my dilemma.. I want to breastfeed and was even given a playtex double electric pump (brand new!) and since I was debating between dr browns & playtex vent aire I decided on playtex. Now my problem, I have 2 original playtex bottles and storage bags, think that's enough for pumping?? Also, is it going to be too much pumping in to bags and then crossing over for feeding with the playtex vent aire?

-is there a more simple way to pump,save, use bottles& bags??

Forgot about pacies--I haven't bought any, nor will I. However, MIL has supposedly bought some for mason so I told bf if we use them it'll only be until 3mons...then bye bye bjnky.

Thank you for my amazing siggy Nicole!

Last edited by een; June 19th, 2011 at 02:44 PM.
June 19th, 2011, 04:54 PM
Platinum Supermommy
I have a few different types of bottles as well as a few different types of pacis.

June 19th, 2011, 05:03 PM
Kimber77's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to Kimber77
We used the playtex drop ins with Gage so we'll be using those again and I hope she takes to them like he did. Our only issue with him was that he wouldn't take the silicone nipples so I had to go stock up on the latex. This time i'm hoping she'll take to the silicone since I have so many that are still brand new.

As for paci's we had the same silicone/latex issue and i'm hoping she won't do that. He would only take a nipple shaped like his bottle and latex and the only one I could find was Playskool binky's. This time I bought her the same type paci and will also have a couple soothies on hand.

Big brother Gage welcomes Karli Elizabeth 7 lbs 14 oz 20 inches on 8/1/11

June 19th, 2011, 05:41 PM
Happy Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by een View Post
Here's my dilemma.. I want to breastfeed and was even given a playtex double electric pump (brand new!) and since I was debating between dr browns & playtex vent aire I decided on playtex. Now my problem, I have 2 original playtex bottles and storage bags, think that's enough for pumping?? Also, is it going to be too much pumping in to bags and then crossing over for feeding with the playtex vent aire?

Forgot about pacies--I haven't bought any, nor will I. However, MIL has supposedly bought some for mason so I told bf if we use them it'll only be until 3mons...then bye bye bjnky.
check out the pumping board for more help
June 19th, 2011, 06:03 PM
*~ Joni ~*'s Avatar Jordana Jacoby & Jamason
Neither of mine took to pacifiers but both accepted whatever bottles I tried. I breastfed both too and they never got any nipple confusion even when i switched between the breast and several different types of bottles.

I dont think the pacifiers will matter much but as far as the bottles, I'd just keep the ones you got from your shower unopened. If baby takes to the kind you have open, you can return the unopened and buy more of that kind. If baby refuses the ones you have open, you can open the other kinds one at a time til you find something that works.
June 19th, 2011, 06:09 PM
*~ Joni ~*'s Avatar Jordana Jacoby & Jamason
Quote:
Originally Posted by een View Post

I loved using the bags for pumping because once you fill and seal them, they lay flat in the freezer. HUGE space saver. Also you can write right on the bag the date and number of ounces. It's also easier when you go to warm it up for a feeding because you'll just stick the bag into a cup of warm water til it heats to room temp, which it will do much more quickly in the bag than it would do in a bottle. Two bottles is probably enough if you plan to breastfeed most of the time. I'd say you need one bottle per number of times you expect baby to be bottle fed per day.
June 19th, 2011, 06:59 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
I loved using the bags for pumping because once you fill and seal them, they lay flat in the freezer. HUGE space saver. Also you can write right on the bag the date and number of ounces. It's also easier when you go to warm it up for a feeding because you'll just stick the bag into a cup of warm water til it heats to room temp, which it will do much more quickly in the bag than it would do in a bottle. Two bottles is probably enough if you plan to breastfeed most of the time. I'd say you need one bottle per number of times you expect baby to be bottle fed per day.
Thanks Joni, that helped a lot. I have a box of bags for pumping, and assumed I would use them since they are cheap and seem easy. I won't be working so that means I likely won't pump and bottle feed on a daily basis. So the 6 born free bottles I got in the gift basket should be plenty. Now, lets just hope the baby takes them. If not I have Tommie Tippies and Dr Browns stashed in the closet.
June 20th, 2011, 03:18 AM
Mega Super Mommy
With DS we used the playtex drop ins and he would only take the orthodontic shaped nipple. We tried them all and that was the only one he would take. And he would also only take the nuk orthodontic pacifiers, so I think with this baby we will just buy some and see if she is as picky as my son was or if she will take whatever.

Thank you so much AlexAiden Mommy for my beautiful siggy!
June 20th, 2011, 08:01 AM
mico's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I registered for Dr. Browns, Tommee Tippee, and Playtex just because I had no idea, and figured I should have them to be safe. I will be pumping only (hopefully) so I will still need bottles. I also got Medela bags that fit on my pump, so I'm just going to use trial and error! As for pacifiers, I just got a few different kinds, and we'll go from there also. Everybody always tells me you can buy all these cute pacifiers, but the ones they come home with from the hospital are always their favorites! haha!

Thank you brie_91 for my Siggy!
June 20th, 2011, 08:12 AM
Lo_and_Behold's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
We used the Playtex drop in's w/Allie & they were great but the liners got to be too much to buy, even using the generic. I really like the Vent Aires & the First Years Soothies (same material as the binkies they give in the hospital) so I'll be buying more of those. I may also try the Tommee Tippee. Allie preferred the wider mouth nipples until she got older but who knows what Hunter will like. It's all trial & error. Same thing w/binkies. We'll probably use the soothies at first & then progress from there. (Hopefully he won't even like them so we don't have to go through the weaning process...not fun!)

June 20th, 2011, 10:33 AM
Rachel's Avatar Just Rachel
Send a message via Yahoo to Rachel
The only bottles I have are the ones that came with my breast pump. I'll use those if absolutely necessary, but I'm hoping I won't need to use any.

I did buy some pacifiers this past week, but only just to have some on hand.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search