Handy tip for heartburn-suffering mommas!

Forum: 2011 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2011 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
June 19th, 2011, 10:23 AM
Super Mommy
So at my last doc's appointment I mentioned I've been having a bit of heartburn lately. I told the doctor I'd been trying to prop myself up with pillows and she smiled and said "yeah, you know, that's not really gonna work because you toss and turn and eventually you're on your back anyway."

She then said the best thing to do to help nighttime heartburn is to slip a 2x4 under the feet of your bedframe that's at the top of your bed to create a very slight incline. She said that you're able to sleep in proper alignment, and it's not drastic enough to make you feel like you're falling off the bed, but it is enough to keep the acid and gas down.

Anyone else come across great tips or home remedies for third trimester woes?
June 19th, 2011, 10:27 AM
Platinum Supermommy
ZANTAC!!!! hehe. When my heartburn got really bad (and I mean I thought I was going to start breathing fire as it burned so bad), I would sleep sitting up. It sucked. Zantac has been great since I got the script for it. I was living off of tums, but they stopped working, and made me pukey feeling.
June 19th, 2011, 10:32 AM
Veteran
I told my doc I have to take store-brand Zantac almost twice a day, but daily none the less. And sometimes that don't even work.

Milk helps, but only for like 10-15 mins at a time. She said thats totally normal and okay, but I cannot wait for the heartburn to stop. Its one of the worst things I have experienced in this pregnancy for sure.

June 19th, 2011, 10:44 AM
Happy Mommy
Mine is reflux rather then hear tburn, and nothing helps, not even the perscription I was given for it
June 19th, 2011, 10:50 AM
Super Mommy
Try the 2x4 tip!

I've been using tums, but I'm not a fan.

I've also found that cool foot baths help my swollen feet and ankles.
June 19th, 2011, 10:58 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Another natural remedy for heartburn is papaya or papaya extract. I also find a nice cold bowl of ice cream works wonders, and delicious too

Expecting baby #4 in April - It's a BOY!

Two Little Monkies on Etsy
June 19th, 2011, 11:06 AM
Amanda_Lynn24's Avatar Super Mommy
I usually take one pepcid complete cuz tums never worked!!
June 19th, 2011, 11:27 AM
Platinum Supermommy
tums, for a little while for the reflux. It hasn't become heartburn, yet. I hope it won't, maybe then this baby will be bald at birth.
June 19th, 2011, 12:15 PM
Happy Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by northendmamma View Post
Try the 2x4 tip!

Considering my reflux is making me want to puke sitting up right, the 2x4 won't touch it. and tums make me vomit, so makes reflux worse

Quote:
Originally Posted by andi2284 View Post
Another natural remedy for heartburn is papaya or papaya extract. I also find a nice cold bowl of ice cream works wonders, and delicious too
I wish I could find papaya around here, I might try it. the ice cream actually makes mine worse. that's what ended me in the hosp on tuesday

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dee Darling 3 View Post
tums, for a little while for the reflux. It hasn't become heartburn, yet. I hope it won't, maybe then this baby will be bald at birth.
I keep saying Bob will be bald, just because I've suffered so much, that would be the final kick in the butt
June 19th, 2011, 12:56 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by andi2284 View Post
Ditto, nothing else works for me
June 19th, 2011, 02:59 PM
Super Mommy
A nice milkshake definitely does the trick for fast acting, but otherwise I'm on Prilosec, Gaviscon/Tums and sometimes Zantac. Mostly due to my history of reflux anyways while not pregnant.

Make a pregnancy ticker
June 20th, 2011, 05:08 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to way2gomom Send a message via Yahoo to way2gomom Send a message via Skype™ to way2gomom
I raised our bed with a 2x4 for Tim when he was having all kinds of health difficulties. He started with heart attacks, and then all the medicine they put him on (for being 26 and having 3 heart attacks) in addition to medicine they put him on for finding "growths" on his thyroid... yeah it was a lot of meds, they all caused awful symptoms, didn't work together (he had the throw-pills-and-see-what-sticks kind of doctor) and he ended up having to take more meds to fight the problems... anyway. Still doesn't help. But I use pillows and I do stay propped up. I put one pillow down lower so that my shoulders are lifted up and one pillow on top of that under my head. Even when I roll over they are in the same spots. It may not be perfect alignment, but it's better than waking up feeling like I threw up all the time!

I like the milkshake suggestions.

blog: justjoanna.com | twitter: way2gomom | facebook | pinterest: way2gomom
June 20th, 2011, 06:16 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by northendmamma
Try the 2x4 tip!

Considering my reflux is making me want to puke sitting up right, the 2x4 won't touch it. and tums make me vomit, so makes reflux worse

Quote:
Originally Posted by andi2284
I wish I could find papaya around here, I might try it. the ice cream actually makes mine worse. that's what ended me in the hosp on tuesday

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dee Darling 3
I keep saying Bob will be bald, just because I've suffered so much, that would be the final kick in the butt
Ro, I feel like I could have written this post word for word. Don't bother with the papya once you get to the point where we are it doesn't work. I am taking tums, 300mg of Zantac and pepcid and still tossed up my dinner about midnight last night. Is it Aug yet??!?!?
June 20th, 2011, 07:53 AM
Happy Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by FLCharlotte View Post
Ro, I feel like I could have written this post word for word. Don't bother with the papya once you get to the point where we are it doesn't work. I am taking tums, 300mg of Zantac and pepcid and still tossed up my dinner about midnight last night. Is it Aug yet??!?!?
I so wish it was. I was sick last night and this morning from it again too... seriously I sure hope the OB has another idea. because what I'm doing isn't working, and the reglan they gave me just makes me pass out. (and doesn't touch the reflux/heart burn grr)
June 20th, 2011, 09:06 AM
Lo_and_Behold's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Zantac also works great! I never took it (stupidly!!) with my first. I just did Tums & whatever else that didn't require meds but it never helped.

June 20th, 2011, 10:41 AM
Rachel's Avatar Just Rachel
Send a message via Yahoo to Rachel
I haven't really had too much trouble, but Tums really works when I do.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search