Will anxiety hurt the baby....

Forum: 2011 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2011 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
June 19th, 2011, 02:38 PM
Mega Super Mommy
So I'm really feeling the anxiety about this baby setting in. My SO and I signed a lease to a new place and it's quite a bit more expensive than our current place. We will be depending mostly on his financial aid and my income (once I'm back from maternity leave) to pay for everything and it is all very overwhelming. I haven't had much of an appetite and when I do eat, I have bowel issues because my stomach is a bundle of nerves. I have a history of anxiety problems anyway, so I'm wondering how much this will affect the baby? Will he be more likely to suffer from the same anxiety problems as I did growing up? Since I'm dealing with anxiety while he's developing? My SO is incredibly calm and laidback, so I can only hope he gets those genes...

June 19th, 2011, 02:45 PM
BlessednHighlyFavored's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
i dont know after birth but whil in the womb i know they can feel it.I notices when i get over whelmed then baby gets really still

My Ovulation Chart

I'm doing natural family planning
June 19th, 2011, 02:53 PM
Veteran
I am hoping not.....as I myself have been pretty anxious throughout my pregnancy.
I know the womb environment is very essential in the child's emotional well being but there are other factors as well. My mother is the most calm, positive person i know and me on the other hand am the most anxious, negative person. I am nothing like her...... i am my dad's carbon copy. So for me it was my growing environment and dad's genes that influenced my personality.
June 19th, 2011, 03:08 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by neel06 View Post
I am hoping not.....as I myself have been pretty anxious throughout my pregnancy.
I know the womb environment is very essential in the child's emotional well being but there are other factors as well. My mother is the most calm, positive person i know and me on the other hand am the most anxious, negative person. I am nothing like her...... i am my dad's carbon copy. So for me it was my growing environment and dad's genes that influenced my personality.
I am also exactly like my dad and nothing like my mom, and my brother is a lot like my mom. I guess it's a luck of the draw how our child will up mentally.

June 19th, 2011, 03:12 PM
brandaleana's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I am a lot like my dad (so I'm told) and I didn't grow up with him. I saw him probably a total of a dozen times my whole life. Both of my daughters are like their dads. Ryder...I don't know who he is like..he is just so **** sweet!!

Special thanks to Vicki... for my awesome siggy!
June 19th, 2011, 04:35 PM
MsSilverSpec's Avatar Mama of 2 <3
I had an extremely stressful first pregnancy, a lot went on during that time and I suffered through many anxious times. I suffer with anxiety disorder so I know how you feel.

Doctors usually worry that if your under a lot of stress then that can cause low birthweight babies, premature labor etc. but all was fine with DS!

As for it passing on to your son, thats a matter of genetics. My mom had anxiety/depression and she passed it on to me.

As anxious as I was during my last pg, DS doesn't seem to have any issues at all so I am not worried! I'm sure itll all be okay and your baby is doing fine in his cozy area! The only thing he may be missing is the food if your not eating..so eat up!
June 19th, 2011, 06:06 PM
mom2moose
No, you're fine. Otherwise, there wouldn't be a normal baby in the world. We ALL go through bouts of anxiety or depression during pregnancy. It's normal. How can you not be anxious when your whole world as you've known it is about to change???

I also have depression/anxiety issues, and when not pregnant, take Xanax and Prozac. My parents have none of these problems, although my grandpa did. My real father is an alcoholic and I very seldom drink. Some things are passed on, some aren't. You can't tell ahead of time.

The only thing I would watch for if I were you, is post partum depression. Women who have a history of anxiety/depression also have a greater chance of PPD. I had this after Moose, and it was awful. If you have any question in your mind that this may be happening to you, make sure you call your OB, and they will help you.

Try not to worry too much. You'll be an awesome mom, just because you care enough to even ask these questions, ya know??? I think you're going to do great!!
June 19th, 2011, 06:51 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by mom2moose View Post
No, you're fine. Otherwise, there wouldn't be a normal baby in the world. We ALL go through bouts of anxiety or depression during pregnancy. It's normal. How can you not be anxious when your whole world as you've known it is about to change???

I also have depression/anxiety issues, and when not pregnant, take Xanax and Prozac. My parents have none of these problems, although my grandpa did. My real father is an alcoholic and I very seldom drink. Some things are passed on, some aren't. You can't tell ahead of time.

The only thing I would watch for if I were you, is post partum depression. Women who have a history of anxiety/depression also have a greater chance of PPD. I had this after Moose, and it was awful. If you have any question in your mind that this may be happening to you, make sure you call your OB, and they will help you.

Try not to worry too much. You'll be an awesome mom, just because you care enough to even ask these questions, ya know??? I think you're going to do great!!
Thank you. I think that is quite possibly the best thing I've heard in awhile.

June 19th, 2011, 08:23 PM
Andie Brown's Avatar Veteran
Quote:

I second that!

I also have depression/anxiety problems. I find my anxiety levels drop during pregnancy though and I have a suspicion that it's the relaxin hormone.. I do get bouts of depression but I think that's pretty normal anyway but especially because I have stopped my meds for the duration of my preg. With my DD I had a very stressful pregnancy and she shows no signs of anxiety. My aunt suffers from anxiety and my mom suffered depression. So far none of my aunt's three adult children show any signs. As for the bowel issues..do you get enough fiber? I get wonky bowels too when I am anxious and I find making sure I am stocked up on fiber helps a bit.

June 20th, 2011, 06:58 AM
Mega Super Mommy
That's funny because my "bowel problems" are the opposite when I'm anxious. I don't need any fiber at all!!

Of course this morning I read my Baby Gaga for 27 weeks and it said "stress can hurt the baby's brain development." Argh!

June 20th, 2011, 07:27 AM
mom2moose
I also have what I call "nervous pooping." LOL When I get stressed out or anxious, I have diarhea, EVERY time.

As for your book, whatever. How do they know?? They just ASSUME it has a negative effect on the baby. I think the only TRUE negative effect is on the mother (because she's under stress in the first place, it's negative), as long as you're eating as healthy as you can and taking your prenatels, you'll be ok. Besides, reading stuff like that CAUSES more stress. So, go watch a dumb reality show and relax!!
June 20th, 2011, 08:02 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
I also have what I call "nervous pooping." LOL When I get stressed out or anxious, I have diarhea, EVERY time.
haha, nervous pooping, I couldn't have said it better myself! the second my anxiety kicks in my immediate thought is, I hope there's a toilet nearby!!

June 20th, 2011, 10:48 AM
Mom2twolittlemen's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to Mom2twolittlemen Send a message via MSN to Mom2twolittlemen
Amy, I had a lot going on with my first pregnancy. I was a bundle of nerves. I felt like I lived off of having diarrhea parties and anxiety attacks. It was awful. Since the day my son Bradley was born he is the calmest carefree happy go lucky kid. I get comments on his laid backness all of the time. All the reading I did about how anxiety affects a abbay was a crock. He never was colic. Slept 5 hours at night by five weeks. Really truly. Angel. Still is.

This pg, I am nowhere near anxious like I was with him. We had a lot of financial hardships back then and things are so much better. Watch this child be a terror.

Try not to stress about how the stress is going to affect your baby now and in the future. What will be will be. It is so normal to feel anxiety about baby coming. And although Kyle and I are in a different place this go around, we still have out anxieties... and its not always easy.

June 20th, 2011, 11:25 AM
mommyakawifey's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Anxiety won't hurt the baby no. But it is obviously best for YOU to try to combat your anxiety in any way you can (walking, visiting friends, reading a book, etc). This is your first baby and this pregnancy will be something you look back on often-try to enjoy it as much as possible. Stress sucks. I hope you feel better soon.

Missing my brother everyday- 1985-2011~I love and miss you so much
Essure permanent birth control procedure done 5/24. My family is now complete<3
June 20th, 2011, 12:15 PM
Papasgirl's Avatar Down Syndrome Pregnancy
Stress is awful pregnant or not, but it can really mess with you when you are pregnant. try to stay calm and remember that it will be ok. Things always work out and you will be fine. Try to enjoy the (almost in 2 more days) trimester of this pregnancy

Baby Girl Anastasia is my Rainbow!! Diagnosed with T21...
We will journey together
June 20th, 2011, 12:30 PM
JessP's Avatar Lovin life and family
Send a message via MSN to JessP Send a message via Yahoo to JessP
So sorry you are so worried and stressed. I personally don't think it will hurt baby as I worry alot. And both of my children are just fine .
You are more than welcome to pop down to Financial Planning and Budgeting - JustMommies Message Boards if you are looking for some budget/finance help.
Try not to worry to much, I am sure it will all work out. They learn new things every year about what can affect baby. I wouldn't worry about what the app said. Easier said than done I know.

Thanks .:Shortcake:. for my great siggie
http://skinny-jessi.blogspot.com/

June 20th, 2011, 02:17 PM
*KaraBeth*'s Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I'm sorry you're so stressed out! I think as long as you're trying to eat as well as you can your baby will be fine They're pretty tough little ones - you already sound like a great mommy!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search