Should I be concerned re: swelling?

Forum: 2011 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2011 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
June 19th, 2011, 05:26 PM
Field Mouse's Avatar nom nom
the first thing that pops in my mind is pre-ecampsia.

I woke up this morning with hugely swollen feet, ankles, hands and yes, even face (I didn't know that was possible). I just checked my weight and I have gained around 8 lbs overnight. I haven't had my bp checked but wondering if this is something you have ever experienced? I am quite concerned given the fact that the fluid overload came on very suddenly
June 19th, 2011, 05:34 PM
Happy Mommy
considering as hot as it's been here, no not unusal. drink more water.

if you get upper right quadrant (under your right breast) pain or start seeing stars head in. other wise just drink lots.
June 19th, 2011, 06:14 PM
8miraclez's Avatar Formerly Halfbaked
Swelling is no longer considered a sign of pre-e because it's so common in pregnancy. I had pitting edema but my blood pressures were still good. Drink tons of water, put your feet up, stay cool. If you start having ^those other signs, or get a headache that won't go away, head in.

To read updates about our baby born with major birth defects, like our Facebook page
June 19th, 2011, 06:39 PM
ok thanks gals! I feel better just knowing that this is normal and not alarming.
June 19th, 2011, 08:04 PM
inlove08's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Sweetheart I'm right with you. Yesterday at my baby shower I think everyone freaked out when they saw my feet. They kept telling me to sit down. I will post a pic later. I mean my feet are at least 4 times the normal size. I can barely wiggle my toes.

Thank you Vicki.... for my beautiful siggie!!!
June 19th, 2011, 08:46 PM
one more question, is it ok if it's just ONE foot? it's just my right foot and the other looks normal.
June 19th, 2011, 09:25 PM
Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to swozze3 Send a message via Yahoo to swozze3
I dont think you should be overly concerned. I would talk to your doctor about it though. If you click on the link below these are pictures of my swelling legs. My OB wasn't to concerned since my OB seems to be fine still.... By the end of the day I do have a hard time walkin though cus my legs and calves are so sore from the swelling...only a couple of weeks probably left me so I am trying to take things in stride.

swollen legs | Facebook
June 20th, 2011, 02:52 AM
Mega Super Mommy
I was told that the number 1 sign of pre-e is high blood pressure followed by protein in urine.
Nausea, back pain, headaches, and blurry vision are also signs followed by swelling.

Can you get to a drugstore or something to check your blood pressure real quick? I'd do that, if it's high, then call your doctor.
June 20th, 2011, 08:03 AM
inlove08's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Hun I'm in the same boat. My left foot is HUGE and the right is mostsly normal, little bit of swelling. I have appt Thursday.... I will have her look at them. I'm sure she will say nothing to worry about.

Thank you Vicki.... for my beautiful siggie!!!
June 20th, 2011, 08:51 AM
mico's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I would maybe just give your doctor a quick call. I have had really bad swelling for 2.5 months now, from my knees down, and my doctor said that was completley normal, BUT if my face and other things all of a sudden swelled, then I need to call. I'm sure it's normal and you are fine, but if I were you, I'd just give a quick call since it happened so fast. KUP!

Thank you brie_91 for my Siggy!
June 20th, 2011, 11:30 AM
Rachel's Avatar Just Rachel
Send a message via Yahoo to Rachel
Hope the swelling goes down soon!
June 20th, 2011, 02:38 PM
thanks! I called the RN triage line and spoke with a nurse. I am in the medical field so I know JUST enough to be paranoid about medical conditions but not enough to actually trust my own opinion. I see a lot of patients with DVTs and PEs and so my mind went automatically to DVT because only one foot is swollen, makes sense a clot would be occluding it, right? The nurse said it's pretty common and to drink more fluids, you know the drill. So I will find something else to worry about I guess!
June 20th, 2011, 02:52 PM
mico's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Glad you called and you feel better about it now!

Thank you brie_91 for my Siggy!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search