How do/will I know?....HELP!

Forum: 2011 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2011 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
June 19th, 2011, 05:31 PM
Veteran
So sometimes I get pains in my stomach and they vary from aching, shooting, staying, tightness, stretching and just plain hurting. The times it happens vary, the amount of time it lasts varies, and the location of the pain varies. I've never gone to my doctor for any but it seems as though everytime I have pains they get more intense. I had bad stomach pains last weekend. They would ease up just a little and then bear down really hard again. It lasted at the most maybe 5 minutes. Last night I more intense pain but it was only on the right side of my stomach.

This is my first baby so I'm not sure what exactly the pains are or the cause of them. I'm also not sure when I should take things to my doctor. Like when do I just chalk it up to a passing pain that's just a part of pregnancy and when do I get worried and make a visit to my doctor? I've been reading some posts from the other ladies that are in L&D, in hospitals, or on bed rest for various reasons and I'm about as farcor farther along than they are and I guess it just has me thinking how I'll know certain things. Like when will I know I'm having contractions or will I just know? I hope I don't sound stupid. Its just that as the time grows closer I'm getting a little more nervous.

I know most of you ladies have other kids so you have the experience that I lack. Your advide would be greatly appreciated.
**Kiera-wife to Brentexpecting baby #1September 22**
June 19th, 2011, 05:47 PM
MsSilverSpec's Avatar Mama of 2 <3
I remember feeling this way too with my first pregnancy.

As far as the feeling of labor contractions..hmm..best way I can describe them is like severe menstrual pains that come and go in regular intervals. Lasting between 30-60 seconds at a time. Mine were all in my lower back (back labor from baby position) but most women have them up front where their uterus is. When you feel that kind of pain, you will know its the real deal, believe me.

How to know if your water breaks..I had mine broken by a doctor but it literally feels like a balloon popping and lots of warm clear fluid comes out.

Those aches and pains you get now are normal (round ligament pain, BH contractions). I get those as well from stretching or just from babies position. BH contractions go away with eating, drinking changing positions..when you get real contractions they are concentrated in one area and don't go away with change of position etc, they come regularly.

Hope I helped!
June 19th, 2011, 06:03 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Contractions indicating labour should develop a pattern - they'll last for a certain amount of time, be so far apart, etc.

As for water breaking, mine broke at 4am right after I got back into bed after getting up to pee. It didn't feel like a big gush, it was more like I peed myself a bit. It won't necessarily be a huge gush of fluid. I kept leaking for a couple of hours and the contractions started a nice pattern and I knew it was time.

It's really hard to describe but chances are you *will* know when it's time. Your body just will send your brain a signal or something

Thanks to Mom2*Lauryn*Jacob* for this beautiful sig!

June 19th, 2011, 06:59 PM
mom2moose
Agree with the other ladies. Contractions are REALLY painful menstrual cramps. Mine also started in my back, but then would wrap around to the front. Would last about a minute and started coming irregulary, but then became regular at about 10 minutes apart. They stop you in your tracks, they are SO painful. And they only get worse, not better.

As for water breaking, mine trickled, so I didn't know. I thought I peed my pants. But they say, that if you suspect your water has broken, to put on dry underwear, lay down and see if you "leak". Apparently, laying down will move the baby's head and will allow you to leak more, unlike the standing position.

I was terrified that first child that I might not know. And I kinda didn't. Until the REAL contractions started, then there is nothing like them. You can NOT mistake the real deal, once they start. Good luck!!
June 19th, 2011, 08:11 PM
ssherices's Avatar Super Mommy
I was also wondering about this....

Thank you Jaidynsmum for my siggy!!
June 19th, 2011, 09:13 PM
Super Mommy
I'm on my first pregnancy as well, currently in the hospital until my baby arrives, i've been on bed rest since mother's day, been in the hospital for almost two weeks now (it was part of the plan from my doctor). I'm here because my water broke very early, as in sometime in April. I can tell you that mine broke either sometime during the night or when i moved first thing in the morning..i got up to go to the bathroom, i took two steps and fluid was everywhere, all down my legs, drenched my shorts, etc () but because I was so early on in the pregnancy it didn't even occur to me that's what was happening. anyways i'm sure everyone has different experiences with their water breaking but that's what mine felt like.

i had a really sharp pain in my side, like right near where my left hip/pelvic joint is the other day and it hurt when i moved, walked, did anything and i mentioned it to the nurse and she said it was prolly ligament pain or growing pains. i have learned alot from being told and from the ladies here about true contractions and how will we know (a big fear of mine before all this happened was how would i know when its time to go to the hospital) and just like they told you, they do hurt alot. i've had a few painful contractions while in here but nothing to be alarmed of yet but i do have a ton of contractions regardless.

my is watch for a pattern or something out of the ordinary..if you have pain that doesn't seem to get better no matter what you do, call your doctor. My docs always told me, call us no matter what, better to be safe and the reassurance always helps. i ask sooo many questions here the nurses prolly hate me but in the end it makes me feel better.

good luck mama!

June 19th, 2011, 09:24 PM
Platinum Supermommy
My water did break as a big gush, both times, well kinda. With the 1st I thought I had to pee and leaked a little, until I stood up. I was drenched. With the 2nd, I heard the pop and kept gushing spurts of fluid everytime I went from sitting to standing.

As for contractions, I kept bugging my gf's with kids during my 1st pg. They all said you'll just know. And they were right. It was weird, and the contractions didn't feel like anything I'd ever experienced. The pain started in my back and wrapped around to the front. The intervals and intensity increased.

I had contractions last weekend and wanted to make sure, so I laid down and started to listen to my body. I observed how the pain was, where it started, and how it progressed. Once I was sure they weren't BH (pain, back to front, and some sharp cervical pain), I started to time them for frequency. Every 3-5 minutes, yep the real thing. Not completely unbearable, but totally really, really bad menstrual cramps.
June 19th, 2011, 10:07 PM
butterflies.in.a.jar's Avatar <3 Team Pink!!! <3
Send a message via MSN to butterflies.in.a.jar
I was wondering this too. Thank you ladies!
Team PINK!!!
June 19th, 2011, 10:22 PM
squiggles's Avatar Veteran
thanks for asking this question I have had wondered many times if I am having real contractions or not. Super helpful thanks =)
June 19th, 2011, 10:30 PM
JessP's Avatar Lovin life and family
Send a message via MSN to JessP Send a message via Yahoo to JessP
My contractions (real ones) always wrapped around my front. Even my back labor ones wrapped around my front eventually. They kind of hug my belly if that makes sense. The biggest thing for real labor is pattern and consistency. With my first it actually took me a couple hours to figure out because they were all in my back pre labor but they were coming in waves consistently and getting more so. I have always had my water broken by the dr but either way its a big gush of fluid you can't miss it . You really will know its kind of weird.

Thanks .:Shortcake:. for my great siggie
http://skinny-jessi.blogspot.com/

June 19th, 2011, 11:38 PM
Veteran
Thank you so much ladies. You've really eased my mind w/ all the concerns I have. I have my mom around a lot and I know if I mention the least little bit of pain to her she'll freak out and that'll make me freak out. LOL. I see from my little experiences and the stories from you ladies that there is a lot of pain to look forward to...Oh Joy! But I know it'll be worth it to see and hold my precious baby. I'm so nervous, anxious, and excited that I don't know what to do w/ myself. LOL
**Kiera-wife to Brentexpecting baby #1September 22**
June 20th, 2011, 02:14 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by KandBbabyLeduff View Post
I see from my little experiences and the stories from you ladies that there is a lot of pain to look forward to...Oh Joy! But I know it'll be worth it to see and hold my precious baby. I'm so nervous, anxious, and excited that I don't know what to do w/ myself. LOL
I'm the exact same way - some days I'm beyond excited and other days I'm just a ball of nerves full of questions and worries!! No question is stupid - I've realized that, and if it is stupid to you - ask any way (I do ) I know that in the end, like you said, it'll all be worth it to see our precious babies!! I can't wait!! It'll be fun as first time moms to share stories here about our births and seeing our baby for the first time!!
Baby #2 is on the way!! PROVERBS 3:5-6

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search