Another Q: BTDT moms: crib bedding set worth it?

Forum: 2011 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2011 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
June 19th, 2011, 05:55 PM
Mischief Managed's Avatar Super Mommy
Send a message via MSN to Mischief Managed
Sorry to spam up our forums. I am finally starting to put some of our stuff together and I want to make sure I got everything I want!

So I just put the crib up and the whole bedding set together. I feel like I wasted $ on one of those Carter's bedding sets and it is really starting to bug me. One reason is me and my hubby has decided to go the "breathable bumper" route until my LO gets a little bit older. I wont be using the actual bumper (that is extremely cute I must add) until a few months after his arrival.
Then I got to thinking about something else: if I barely use the bumper, what if I barely use the massive comforter that came with the set? I used to babysit a newborn and he NEVER slept with his comforter that came with the bedding set. He only used light blankets. I also bought all sorts of mattress sheets since the bedding set only came with one.

So in the end I guess the only thing I can see me using is the crib under skirt but even that seems pointless since the bars from the crib block the cute little picture!

So now for the question (if you want to skip my blabbering above)
So let me know: did you actually USE your crib bedding set? Was it worth the price? I am thinking of just exchanging it for a simple color bedding set since the price is so much cheaper because I don't see the point having one with a design if I never see it. But if I will actually use the comforter etc then I wont mind keeping the owl one because then I will actually use the pieces with the cute owls on it. But if I am not using anything with the pictures I find it pointless! I have no experience with babies and how they actually use their bedding. So please tell me your experience with big 4 piece bedding packages! Do they use their comforter and bumpers and for how long?

Last edited by Mischief Managed; June 19th, 2011 at 06:19 PM.
June 19th, 2011, 05:59 PM
SpankyMagoo's Avatar Gonna make Jo a big sis
obviously Im not a BTDT mom.... but I went through the same exact reasoning as you...

I looked at all these cute sets and then said... "ok... but I wont be using that, that, that or that".... which usually left me with sheets and a crib skirt....

So I ended up just buying sheets and a cribskirt... made sense for me... i just didnt see the point in buying things that I knew i wouldnt use (bumper/comforter/valance.... things like that)....

I will tell you that finding a crib skirt sold separately was a bigger pain than I thought it would be though... they dont sell many separately.

June 19th, 2011, 06:04 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by **Katie** View Post
obviously Im not a BTDT mom.... but I went through the same exact reasoning as you...

I looked at all these cute sets and then said... "ok... but I wont be using that, that, that or that".... which usually left me with sheets and a crib skirt....

So I ended up just buying sheets and a cribskirt... made sense for me... i just didnt see the point in buying things that I knew i wouldnt use (bumper/comforter/valance.... things like that)....

I will tell you that finding a crib skirt sold separately was a bigger pain than I thought it would be though... they dont sell many separately.
See that is what I was thinking too.
It makes me so angry because the set is just too **** cute! I feel like an idiot for buying it and never thinking of this situation before. Go figure!

Kinda stinks the skirt is hard to find... Where did you end up getting it?

June 19th, 2011, 06:04 PM
Platinum Supermommy
To be honest we went with a sheet and matching blanket this time for the exact same reason. We hung our son's comforter as a decoration and we didn't use the bumper even when he got older he would use it as a boost to climb out. So we went simple and cheaper this time, they are very cute and it is more a personal decoration preference because really all you need is a sheet.

June 19th, 2011, 06:07 PM
SpankyMagoo's Avatar Gonna make Jo a big sis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mischief Managed View Post
See that is what I was thinking too.
It makes me so angry because the set is just too **** cute! I feel like an idiot for buying it and never thinking of this situation before. Go figure!

Kinda stinks the skirt is hard to find... Where did you end up getting it?
I got mine at some small baby store... i think they had some at Babies R Us... the selection was just very small... and I really wanted a bright color... which made it way harder to find the right thing...

But im pretty sure they had a few options at babies r us

June 19th, 2011, 06:10 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MomtoCTSK View Post
To be honest we went with a sheet and matching blanket this time for the exact same reason. We hung our son's comforter as a decoration and we didn't use the bumper even when he got older he would use it as a boost to climb out. So we went simple and cheaper this time, they are very cute and it is more a personal decoration preference because really all you need is a sheet.
Did you ever have any difficulties with your son getting stuck in the bars? (Since you didn't use a bumper) Do you need to buy a bumper? I have never really thought of opting it out but if it is useless once the baby starts moving I can see me just keeping my breathable and use that as the full time bumper until I no longer need a bumper.

June 19th, 2011, 06:13 PM
Mega Super Mommy
We bought the bedding set, but I made sure to find it for the lowest price possible. We have the sheet set up on the bed, as well as the bumper (since the crib is just decoration right now). I wanted all the other stuff that came with it. We got quite a few decorations for the room with our set (including a curtain that bf's mom turned into some pretty AWESOME curtains). I figure for the $90 I paid,and I feel I got my money worth (and we will use it for baby #2 if its a girl).

http://hkystar.blogspot.com

June 19th, 2011, 06:14 PM
Platinum Supermommy
I would use the breathable one since you have it. I think he maybe got his foot stuck once or twice but that was it. We used it for a bit before he got too mobile, but even then he would swing his foot on top of it so we just took it out.

June 19th, 2011, 06:21 PM
Ok, so I also feel like I spent a little too much on my bedding set general. (I couldn't help myself, I saw one I liked and I just bought it! I know, I have a problem xD) What is a good price to spend IF I were to get a bedding set rather than buy things separately?

Quote:
Originally Posted by hkystar View Post
We bought the bedding set, but I made sure to find it for the lowest price possible. We have the sheet set up on the bed, as well as the bumper (since the crib is just decoration right now). I wanted all the other stuff that came with it. We got quite a few decorations for the room with our set (including a curtain that bf's mom turned into some pretty AWESOME curtains). I figure for the $90 I paid,and I feel I got my money worth (and we will use it for baby #2 if its a girl).
Wait you got curtains that came with your set? Where did you find that? I want matching curtains!

June 19th, 2011, 06:29 PM
Happy Mommy
nope. I've always just bought the pieces I wanted
June 19th, 2011, 06:44 PM
Karen78's Avatar 2nd time around :)
I didn't end up getting a bedding set. I registered for one, but I'm glad no one got me one. And there's no way I paying all that money for stuff I've decided I wouldn't use anyways. So I just have a crib sheet in the crib, with no bumper. I may end up getting a breathable bumper when baby is old enough to roll around....but maybe not.

June 19th, 2011, 06:55 PM
I guess I am needing to do the walk of shame and return my bedding set. It is just so hard to let go of the cute little owls and forest animals
Thanks for all the input ladies!

June 19th, 2011, 06:58 PM
ppeacocks's Avatar Traci
i never got a set. i bought in piece for trevor 8 years ago. i thought it was kinda a waste. never used bumper, he wore comfy, warm clothes in winter so never used blanket.
i recommend buying what you want in pieces.
taryn (4)
travis august 4th
http://www.facebook.com/xtmacx
June 19th, 2011, 07:31 PM
Platinum Supermommy
I've done the set thing once....and now it's packed up and is never used. Hasn't been used for the last 3 kids either. And it will probably sit in the bag until I finally get sick of storing it. Sheets and blankets are so much easier.

June 20th, 2011, 02:34 AM
Mega Super Mommy
We're considering hanging the comforter on the wall.
June 20th, 2011, 03:04 AM
Super Mommy
I am the odd one here - we used everything. We used the bumper when our son kept getting stuck in the bars. The comforter we used for padding when he played on the floor. I found uses for all the pieces that came with it. I got it as a shower gift thankfully incase we didn't use the bumper or comforter - but we did.

I'm not sure what we are doing this time around. We are having a girl, and my sons bedding set is more boyish. I havn't bought anything yet.

Thank you Misfitinmn for my signature!
June 20th, 2011, 04:19 AM
2pinks&ablue's Avatar Chantelle
I guess I'm odd too, because we used everything. The comforter I held off until they were a bit older, but it still got lots of use. And, up until we bought them new sets just a few months ago, they used the same set on their toddler beds.

As far as the matching curtains, you can probably find them to match your set anyway, but you can get 10 piece sets that have everything (curtains, diaper stacker, etc) with them.
June 20th, 2011, 06:41 AM
Veteran
In my opinion the bedding sets are not worth it at all. I just got a crib sheet and skirt. I ended up buying a bumper pad when my DD was about 4 months old and could rollover well.
Where I live the public health nurse actually comes to your house and checks on the crib - if you have a set in there they tell you to remove it because of SIDS risk. Luckily my friends had told me this before I went out and spent the money on a set.

June 20th, 2011, 06:45 AM
Mana's Avatar Loving My Baby Girl <3
Send a message via AIM to Mana Send a message via MSN to Mana
I decided not to get a bedding set because they're so expensive! So right now the crib just has a mattress and a sheet xD Before we move her into the crib I think I'll get a breathable bumper (and some waterproof pads and extra sheets), but it's not high on my list of stuff to get right now since anything crib related is just for show at this point. I also don't care about a crib skirt, I like being able to see what's under there

June 20th, 2011, 06:46 AM
mishymama's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
The bedding sets are super cute and fun for decorating a nursery. Not necessary, but if you want to splurge, go for it! I don't even use a crib for our little one, so no bedding for us at all.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search