Pre-E Mommies...? **Update**

Forum: 2011 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2011 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
June 19th, 2011, 06:40 PM
Sushi_And_Sci-Fi's Avatar Super Mommy
What symptoms have you had?

I normally have low blood pressure (110/70 is my "normal") and pregnancy and the heart meds I've been put on to help with fainting have made it even lower. It's been averaging between 80/50 - 100/60.

Now tonight I have a splitting headache that will not go away, fairly intense pain in my upper abdomen (baby is way down with his head buried in my cervix, so it's not him), my hands and feet are a little bit (but not a lot) swollen, and my BP is about 130/85... Now I know that this isn't technically anywhere near Pre-E territory, but it IS quite high for me. I'm just wondering if I should bother calling the on-call OB, or if I should wait until tomorrow morning, or if I should just not worry about it...?

Any opinions would be appreciated! TIA

Last edited by Sushi_And_Sci-Fi; June 20th, 2011 at 11:19 AM. Reason: Updat
June 19th, 2011, 09:27 PM
brandaleana's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I would call...it's better to be safe than sorry!!!

Special thanks to Vicki... for my awesome siggy!
June 19th, 2011, 09:36 PM
MsSilverSpec's Avatar Mama of 2 <3
I never knew I had pre-e because sometimes it's silent.

But I did research it a lot and they say if you have symptoms like: sudden severe headache that does not go away after rest and/or Tylenol, sudden and/or severe swelling of face, hands, ankles, elevated pressure, seeing floaters and/or spots in eyes, blurry vision, exaggerated reflexes (like you bang your knee and it just shoots up super quick), sudden weight gain, not urinating often.

It's a lot of symptoms but I would call your doctor if you take something for the headache and it's still there and if you start feeling "off". Anything you start seeing in your eyes, call as well.

Its scary but just try and relax. You are the best judge of your body, if you dont feel right then call your doc!
June 20th, 2011, 04:10 AM
Mom2twolittlemen's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to Mom2twolittlemen Send a message via MSN to Mom2twolittlemen
For me, I had very swollen limbs and face, very high BP, tingling in my hands and toes and thats it. I hope your feeling better!

June 20th, 2011, 07:05 AM
Hazel's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I would call just to be safe--the wonderful perinatologist I had with my first son (PIH that turned to pre-e) always said it isn't about having really high bp numbers, its about having a significant change for you--even though your high is somebody elses normal, its high for you, you know? Before I got pregnant with my first, my bp was lower than yours (nurses often had a hard time even getting a pressure on me......) and so when it went up to the "normal" range, my OB sent me to see the peri because it wasn't normal for me and so they kept a close eye on me I did end up going higher and higher and ended up with pre-e.

With my second son, though, I started to have a rise in bp and it turned out to be stress from my job--as soon as I was taken off work, it went right back down to normal
June 20th, 2011, 11:18 AM
Sushi_And_Sci-Fi's Avatar Super Mommy
**Update**

Thanks for the advice ladies! I ended up drinking a ton of water and going to bed. This morning I'm still a little puffy, still have a touch of headache, and my BP is about 120/70. The abdominal pain is also less, but still there. So I went ahead and called the OB. She basically said that since I'm having some symptoms she wants me to keep a very close eye on my BP for the next few days. Since I already have an appointment scheduled for Thursday they will check me then. So she wants me to check my BP every hour while I'm awake, and if it ever is 140/85 or higher I am supposed to call. Or if I have intense swelling I am supposed to go to the ER.

So we'll see how it goes.

Last edited by Sushi_And_Sci-Fi; June 20th, 2011 at 11:21 AM.
June 20th, 2011, 11:28 AM
Offshoremama78's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Hope all turns out to be fine.. Glad you called the OB, safety never hurts..

Alexander Cameron Murphy
02/27/2014 - 02/27/2014
June 20th, 2011, 11:52 AM
Platinum Supermommy
I hope everything goes well and that the swelling goes down!
June 20th, 2011, 12:57 PM
thepinkleprechaun's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via MSN to thepinkleprechaun
Make sure you drink plenty of water and get lots of rest! Dehydration can cause your blood pressure to go up.
I would also recommend cutting out all caffeine (if you have any that is) and taking some garlic pills and a cal-mag supplement. I have had pre-e and PIH before and I have been able to keep my blood pressure under control this time around with those things I mentioned plus eating a very high protein diet.
June 20th, 2011, 05:28 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I'm doing the same with the Cal/Mag and high protein. Also taking a D3 supplement. A recent study showed pregnant women taking 4000 IU a day were less likely to develop Pre-e and Gestational Diabetes.
June 20th, 2011, 05:36 PM
thepinkleprechaun's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via MSN to thepinkleprechaun
Oh good! I'm taking D3 too
June 20th, 2011, 06:33 PM
wwwmom2011's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
hope you are feeling better....

June 20th, 2011, 06:37 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I hope you are continuing to feel better.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search