cloth vs disposable- I need Help

Forum: 2011 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2011 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
June 20th, 2011, 06:03 AM
Veteran
Ok I dont know how controversial this topic is- But I in no ways mean to stir up any hornet nests

BUT-

DH pointed out to me that our soon to be middle child just turned 1 & we are soon to have another baby wearing diapers in the house- with all the rising costs on well everything- I might want to consider going cloth-

now he was very sweet & we have a great relationship- but I was like ewwww ( no offense)

but do you know the iniatial costs, all the extra cleaning etc- any excuse I could find to derail him

but as I thought about it this morning I realized I didnt know all the ins and outs involved- I was just shoving him preconceived judgments on a subject i admit I know nothing about

so in an attempt to learn

CAN ANYONE HELP ME??
June 20th, 2011, 06:14 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to way2gomom Send a message via Yahoo to way2gomom Send a message via Skype™ to way2gomom
I cloth diaper. Tim was all ewwww at first, but now he thinks it's a great idea and is completely on board for this baby.

The price of the water usage for cleaning (the extra loads of laundry) goes up about the same amount that your water use goes up when the child potty trains, so it's a matter of either seeing that now or later.

I would recommend you try to dry diapers outside in the sunshine, if possible. No extra drying costs, and the sun helps to get rid of stains on diapers.

There are a lot of different factors for the cost of your cloth diapers. If you are buying AIO (all-in-one) diapers they are going to be more expensive. If you are like me, I use prefolds mostly and make my own covers out of recycled wool sweaters. Some ladies even make their own prefolds (was that petalfuzz if I remember?) So the actual cost of your diapers depends on what you buy and where you buy it. The initial cost is the big spend in cloth diapers. It would be like buying ALL of the diapers for your child from birth until potty training at once.

Here's a great site with charts showing the differences in cost between what types of diapers you use (prefolds, fitted, AIO, pocket, combination of cloth and disposable diapers): Cost of Cloth Diapers

Using only prefolds, you are looking at $0.06 per diaper change including washing. Using disposables, you are looking at about $0.36 per diaper change (they used the price of the least expensive cost of 2 popular diaper brands at a discount chain store - so like Huggies & Pampers at Walmart).

If you'd like more information on cloth diapering, the Cloth Diaper board here on JM is great and there are a few of us here in Aug that are cloth diapering.

blog: justjoanna.com | twitter: way2gomom | facebook | pinterest: way2gomom
June 20th, 2011, 06:24 AM
Mega Super Mommy
You got some great advice here, and I agree check out the CD board.
I used sposies for my first and regret it all the time, as I really wanted to CD but was too chicken.
With my second I used cloth at 3+mos and love love em.
Many people IRL have done the "eeewww" thing to me too. But once they see how easy it is and how "modern" they are now, they are more and more intrested!
I do keep cheapie sposies on hand at home for sitters and such. I am not anti-sposie. I just love my cloth too much to FT sposie diaper.
Anyway, google away and ask lots of questions on the CD page.
I bet you will love em!
June 20th, 2011, 06:41 AM
Platinum Supermommy
I started out with disposables with my first and switched to cloth when she was about 5 months old. We ended up cloth diapering my 2nd daughter from the day she was born and will do the same with this baby, and I don't regret it one bit! It's saved us a ton of money and you really get used to the "gross" factor of it. I really don't think changing a cloth diaper over a disposable is anymore gross, it doesn't change what's in the diaper

For cost, we buy one-size diapers, so we buy one bunch and use them pretty much from birth to potty training (I use different diapers the first few weeks, just because they have a better fit and switch to the one-size around 1-2 months). I think we paid one lump sum of $400 for them and that's it - no more buying diapers! The initial cost usually makes people cringe (again, this depends on the kind of diapers you are buying, the ones we buy cost about $18/diaper). I think you can figure that you will spend almost $1000/year on disposables though, and in the long run, it's a HUGE savings!

I agree, there's lots of information on the cloth diapering board on the different kinds of diapers, initial costs, etc. At least you can try out some diapers now, see what you like and then you'll know exactly what to buy for the new baby!

Expecting baby #4 - It's a BOY!

June 20th, 2011, 06:48 AM
Happy Mommy
there's a great cloth diapering board, as mentioned for assistnace too
June 20th, 2011, 06:55 AM
Super Mommy
We are planning to use disposables for the first couple of weeks - maybe even a month, because the meconium can ruin a coth diaper and I'm sort of hoping the baby will grow into infant size and we won't need to buy any cloth newborn sized ones.

There's no question it's ultimately cheaper to use cloth. They have these hand-held shower type water things that connect to your toilet - they are high-pressure and kind of pressure-wash the poop right into the toilet before sending them to the laundry. That seems like a great idea to me.

Another benefit is that if the kid has sensitive skin or rashes, cloth diapers are much better for their skin. My poor brother could never wear disposables because of his eczema. Just remember that you can't use regular diaper cream or oils if you use cloth, since they can build up and reduce absorbency.

Finally, many disposables are made from non-biodegradable plastics or polymers. These will stay in a landfill forever. Think about all the diapers you will use in a day, and then think about the environmental impact of a lifetime's worth. It's pretty traumatizing to the environment (since it will break down into tiny particles that end up in our water supply, our animals, etc). Some so-called "natural" or environmental disposables will actually bleach the diaper material and then colour it beige to make it look more eco-friendly! Insanity!
June 20th, 2011, 07:29 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to way2gomom Send a message via Yahoo to way2gomom Send a message via Skype™ to way2gomom
We didn't have any trouble with meconium staining, just did a rinse before the wash and they came right out. BF poop stained more. Plus, they only have meconium for a few days. You could also use a liner like fleece or hemp or a flushable liner (they sell those in stores like Target now) if you're worried about staining from meconium.

June 20th, 2011, 08:39 AM
heatherbelle's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
You can also use liners inside the newborn dipes and just throw them away if you're worried about meconium...I plan on making some flannel ones for that purpose.

I cloth diapered Collin starting at about 2 months and went full time until he was about 6 months, when I had to go back to school full time and my mom was watching him and then he was in daycare. From then on he was only CD'd about half time. I really don't like sposies...I don't like the pile up, the trash bags full of them, etc. I don't like having to buy boxes of them all the time. My main motivation for using cloth is the cost saving and the cuteness factor They are adorable! The fact that they are great for the environment is a big plus, but wouldn't be a selling point for me since I'm not all that green (oops...and I'm even from Seattle ).

Check out the CD board and just browse around...cloth diapers are fun! Kawaii's are an inexpensive type of one sized diaper that will last baby a looong time, so look into those!

~*thank you Alex Aiden Mommy for my siggy!*~

June 20th, 2011, 11:27 AM
Rachel's Avatar Just Rachel
Send a message via Yahoo to Rachel
I've never used cloth, but I would have chosen cloth this time around if we were planning to have more kids. Since it's our last, I don't think it's worth the investment.
June 20th, 2011, 11:34 AM
Platinum Supermommy
I seriously considered cloth for DS, but because of daycare I chose not to. For Daycare, I would have had to provide a container for the soiled diapers and covers (depending on the type I used). Also, I would be carting home those smelly, soiled diapers every day. Then when I check into the service DH's cloth diapering cousins used, it was about the same as disposable.

If I were a SAHM or only had daycare part time, I would seriously consider cloth diapering.
June 20th, 2011, 11:53 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Dalton was in CD's when he was in a daycare that would use them. If you use a large zippered wetbag, it's not smelly to transport back and forth. You can keep a container of baking soda in the car or diaper bag to sprinkle in the bag before you leave with it to help with the smell too.

Diaper services can get VERY pricey!

June 20th, 2011, 12:59 PM
irishblessing's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I started CD'ing DD at about 13 months. I've never regretted it and plan to CD this baby as well. I started with a few diapers of different brands to try out (so I just started part time) and then slowly built my stash up.

There is the occasional diaper that is totally gross, and I wish I could just throw it out. But the blow outs occur way less with CD too, so you can just assume it's saving you having to clean clothes anyways I find the cloth diapers way less gross than having to haul out a ton of very stinky sposie diaper garbage all the time. I don't find them hard to clean, but then I always rinse mine out and put them in an open bucket. They don't smell.

Definitely check out the CD'ing board. They have lots of great advice. It does save money, even with one child in diapers that we started late it has saved money. So now that we get to use them again for another 3 years it will definitely be helpful!

Thank you Vicki for my new siggy!
June 20th, 2011, 05:44 PM
Mega Super Mommy
How can you say Ewwww when your babe's butt could look like this?

Think of the money you'll save not having to buy pants

LOL, we are using cloth(all in ones and pockets) as well as a washing service. We spent around $400 for 50 diapers and my sister in law is making us 50 more as a gift. About every 6 months we'll probably spend another $50 on a few diapers.
The washing service is $12 a week.

This is our first kid and we plan on several more so over the course of maybe 8 years we figure we'll save thousands on diapers.
June 20th, 2011, 06:39 PM
Veteran
wow you ladies rock-

Thanks for all the great info

I will def check out the board everyone mentioned

I guess i just get stuck that this is our third & even though we would be saving money-
does it make sense??

i will do more research & prolly buy a couple & try with dd who i s 1

They do look cute though so that is a + LOL

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search