Hypothetical question...

Forum: 2011 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2011 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
June 20th, 2011, 11:48 AM
SpankyMagoo's Avatar Gonna make Jo a big sis
Iam watching an episode of "A Baby Story" and the mom is 42 weeks and 2 days pregnant. She feels very strongly about letting baby come when baby is ready. All nonstress tests show that baby is fine and healthy and everything looks normal.

However, her midwife says that she has to get induced now... for safety. She says that after 42 week, there are far more unexplained fetal deaths.

So... I was just wondering.... I know she tecnichally has the right to not allow the induction... in which case I assume the midwife would refuse to be a part of it... So what would happen if this mom decided to do it on her own? Would she just have to go to the ER? Could she get in trouble?

June 20th, 2011, 11:52 AM
Happy Mommy
trouble? like legally? no.

trouble emotinally if something bad happened? yes.

Depending on the state and the type of midwife would depend, if it's not a CNM with a hospital behind her, but a home or brith center midwife that is direct entry, they can not legally care of mom after a certain point.

if she is at a hospital and is a CNM, her liscense will not allow her to not continue care for this mom/baby, though she would need ot call in the OB for help I'm sure. (which she would for the induciton anyhow to sign off on it)
June 20th, 2011, 12:11 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by w292737 View Post
trouble? like legally? no.

trouble emotinally if something bad happened? yes.

Depending on the state and the type of midwife would depend, if it's not a CNM with a hospital behind her, but a home or brith center midwife that is direct entry, they can not legally care of mom after a certain point.

if she is at a hospital and is a CNM, her liscense will not allow her to not continue care for this mom/baby, though she would need ot call in the OB for help I'm sure. (which she would for the induciton anyhow to sign off on it)

I didnt know know if legally she could get in trouble, if something bad happened, for "endangering" the baby.

I was just curious... cause the mom was super upset... but i was thinking, technically, she could have told the midwife no

June 20th, 2011, 12:13 PM
.t.e.r.r.a.'s Avatar Proud to be a WAHM
I just watched that episode too. I have no idea how the legalities work with a case like that. I am so happy she got her vaginal birth though, I just wanted to cry for her when her doc told her she HAD to be induced. She still had to get pitocin, but her biggest fear was having to get another c-section, and she got what she wanted, so YAY for her!
June 20th, 2011, 12:41 PM
mishymama's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I have a friend who has a track record of going late. She moved halfway through her pregnancy, and @ term, her MW was pushing her to induce and see an OB. She ended up going back to where she used to live to her former MW who was more familiar with her and had her homebirth.
June 20th, 2011, 12:44 PM
Happy Mommy
yeah since a "due date" is just an estimation they can't really say she was endangering the baby, esp since the tests are saying baby is fine, and it would directly affect her and her body as well, and most states wouldn't recognize the baby as a person to protect yet anyhow (like if CPS could get involved)
June 20th, 2011, 02:31 PM
Quantum_Leap's Avatar frequent flier
She could always have an unassisted home birth if she wanted to. Unfortunately, that might be her only option, if other care providers refused to treat her. I hope to hell that she couldn't get in legal trouble for declining to have a medical procedure performed on her own body, but I'm afraid that in some states she could. (There have been cases of court-ordered Caesareans before for women who refused to consent to them! )

I'll never understand the fear that so many care providers seem to have these days of 'letting' a woman go past her due date. Back in the 50's, my dad was born quite safely at 44 weeks gestation. I also have a friend who's about my age who was also born 4 weeks past his due date. A due date is just an estimate, and it's normal for there to be bell curve of births occurring both before that date and after it. Nowadays, it seems like everyone is terrified to go even one day late....it's insane to me. Yes, there is a slightly increased risk of placental deterioration after 42 weeks gestation, but that risk is still very, very tiny. Some babies just need a bit longer to bake than others!

No one should be forced to have something done to her body that she doesn't want done.

Thank you to the SSMC makers for my beautiful siggies!

(x2)(x2)(October 2011)
June 20th, 2011, 03:12 PM
2pinks&ablue's Avatar Chantelle
I think it's ridiculous id anyone can do anything, it's her decision, her body, and her baby afterall. My baby sister was born at 43 weeks, very healthy and normally!
June 20th, 2011, 03:14 PM
.t.e.r.r.a.'s Avatar Proud to be a WAHM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quantum_Leap View Post
I'll never understand the fear that so many care providers seem to have these days of 'letting' a woman go past her due date.
I don't understand it either. I think it's rediculous that most OB's will start talking about induction immediatley if a woman hits 40 weeks! It's just an estimated due date, not an expiration date!
June 20th, 2011, 03:16 PM
Can they test to see if the placenta is ok?

Cause I know my aunt was born around 44 weeks, no problem... but my husband was born at 43.5, and the placenta was a mess and the fluid was all gross...

June 20th, 2011, 03:36 PM
Happy Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by **Katie** View Post
Can they test to see if the placenta is ok?

Cause I know my aunt was born around 44 weeks, no problem... but my husband was born at 43.5, and the placenta was a mess and the fluid was all gross...
that's usually why once you hit your 40 weeks you do in twice a week. you'll get biopysical u/s and NST to check on baby, fluid and the placenta.
June 20th, 2011, 03:55 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I believe risks of still birth start to go up at 42 weeks. So it's at that point where induction suggestions should be taken more seriously... But in the end, it's the mother's choice. It's her body, her life, her pregnancy. I don't see anything wrong with women making choices about their own bodies. No one should be forced to do anything they don't want to.

Like others have said, due dates are estimates... There is no way for anyone to know exactly how long each baby and mother needs to be ready...

June 20th, 2011, 05:19 PM
Mega Super Mommy
*Lurking*

I saw this episodes too this morning and felt like crying with her , when she was told about the induction, i personally would begged for a few more days , im glad she went into labor on her own , and love listening to her labor affirmations she was saying while contracting , im "due" this thursday and will try to go as far as i can before talking about induction , anyways i dont think she could of gotten in trouble if she declined the induction , im sure the mw just didnt want anything to happen if she let her go any further , i did find the mw annoying by not giving her at least a few more days, but she did get her birth as wanted and im happy she did.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search