Need Opinions On My Birth Plan....

Forum: 2011 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2011 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
June 20th, 2011, 07:33 PM
Jasonswife99's Avatar Super Mommy
I need opinions on my birth plan, please I added a few ideas from Terra's birth plan (thanks for posting it!) The items in bold are ones I am not sure of, but have seen them in many birth plans... I'm not sure if I will keep them in there or not.... What are your thoughts on tearing vs. episiotomy, Use of eye ointment / Vitamin K shot/ Hep B vaccine? Not looking for a debate, I just want to be informed before we submit a final copy to our midwife. Thanks!!!

____________ Family Birth Plan

Mother: Christina
Father: Jason
Labor Support: Julie (daughter)

Christina & Jason are preparing to have an unmedicated, vaginal birth and we prefer for our labor to progress as naturally as possible. However, we realize that birth offers many surprises. These are our preferences if everything is going smoothly. We are willing to work with everyone should the need for alternatives arise. Thank you!

During our Labor, we request…
• Continuous presence of family and labor support
• A peaceful environment in the birthing room, including time and freedom to labor as needed
• To be encouraged to eat and drink as necessary
• Use of the birthing tub, squat bar, birth ball, etc – as available
• Intermittent fetal monitoring is prefered, as I may want to walk around or labor in water. If I choose to labor in bed, I do not mind continuous monitoring.

We prefer
• Natural pain management options – please do not offer pain medications, Christina will ask for them if she needs them
• To allow labor to progress naturally—we prefer to avoid the use of pitocin
Natural progression of tearing—please support the perineum during second stage and encourage the slow, gentle birth of the head . If stitches are necessary, please use local anesthetic.
• Delayed cord clamping and cutting – we prefer to wait until the cord stops pulsating to cut and clamp the cord. Jason wishes to do the cutting
• Dad to Catch Baby—If Jason wishes to in the moment, and there is no medical reason not to, Jason would prefer to catch the baby
• If delivery assistance is necessary, please use suction rather than forceps.

Postpartum/Baby Care
• Immediate skin-to-skin contact and option to establish breastfeeding prior to routine baby care.
• Spontaneous delivery of placenta, encouraged with breastfeeding; no routine pitocin or pulling of the cord please.
No eye ointment, vitamin K shot, or hepatitis B vaccination – if vitamin K is necessary, use oral only
• Baby is to be with me or my husband at all times.

If a Ceserean Delivery is necessary we request:
• Continuous presence of Jason (and Julie, if possible)
• Prefer spinal/epidural anesthesia
• Use a transverse, low cut and double-layered stitches at least – no staples
• Please lower the screen so Christina can see the birth of her baby
• Keep Christina’s hands free
• Option to take photographs and/or video
• Jason & Christina wish to have immediate physical contact with baby
• Baby to stay in operating room; breastfeeding as soon as possible

Forever missing our angels...
April 25, 2010 & January 4, 2010
June 20th, 2011, 07:58 PM
.t.e.r.r.a.'s Avatar Proud to be a WAHM
Sounds good to me! I still have to print mine, but I have no computer paper! Starting to panic a bit now that I know I'm 4 cm dilated already, lol.

Did you tear at all with your other kiddos?
June 20th, 2011, 08:22 PM
Jasonswife99's Avatar Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by .t.e.r.r.a. View Post
Sounds good to me! I still have to print mine, but I have no computer paper! Starting to panic a bit now that I know I'm 4 cm dilated already, lol.

Did you tear at all with your other kiddos?
I know I had to have stitches with my oldest, I can't remember if I tore or if I had an epesiotomy. No tearing or stitches with my other 2 girls.

Forever missing our angels...
April 25, 2010 & January 4, 2010
June 20th, 2011, 08:29 PM
.t.e.r.r.a.'s Avatar Proud to be a WAHM
If you didn't tear with your last two then I doubt you would this time. Who knows though, I would definatley prefer to tear though over a straight cut incision down to my butthole... OUCH!
June 20th, 2011, 08:35 PM
SpankyMagoo's Avatar Gonna make Jo a big sis
Everything looks really good... the only thing that stands out to me are your requests in the event of a csection... Your hospital may be different than mine, but I know if I have to do a CSection, alot of those things arent even negotiable... which really stinks.

But it looks really good!

June 20th, 2011, 08:38 PM
Veteran
I'm opting out of the Vitamin K shot. It's supposed to help with blood clotting but they told us that babies do not produce Vitamin K until a while after birth. I figure there's a reason why their bodies do not produce it, so unless my child is anemic, we won't be getting the shot.
June 21st, 2011, 07:45 AM
Happy Mommy
I think it looks good. I'm always the one that says, check with the hosp to know what is standard, then take those things out (the skin to skin and delayed cord clamping come to mind)

I'm doing the eye drops, but delaying them for an hour. I'll tear over being cut as well. but being cut isn't something my hospital does, and if the need did arise for some reason, they would consent me before doing it.

C - section sounds good. I think everyone needs to remember. this is always 100% YOUR care, EVERYTHING is negotiable about your care, unless you are crashing, then maybe not, but even then, there is no reason they couldn't do what you wish.
June 21st, 2011, 08:19 AM
mishymama's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
What are your thoughts on tearing vs. episiotomy, Use of eye ointment / Vitamin K shot/ Hep B vaccine? Not looking for a debate, I just want to be informed before we submit a final copy to our midwife. Thanks!!!
Personally, I've done both tear/epesiotomy and I felt the recovery from the natural tear was much easier. It could be because it was my 1st birth w/ the episiotomy, I don't know. I choose to tear now though. I also declined stitches which REALLY freaked the nurses out but my MW was supportive and told me I just had to be really careful to keep my legs together to heal well. I've not had any issues from it. (I'd had a natural birth, so no pain meds and was terrified of any needles down there. LOL)

We skip the eye ointment b/c it's a protections against an STD I don't have.

Vit K I reserve judgement on. We may do it if there is any birth trauma or risk of bruising, but otherwise we skip it.

No vaxes for us so we skip the Hep B.

Your plan looks good. My only suggestion is that you'll have to make sure these things actually go as you want. The staff doesn't mean to disregard your plan, but they're so used to the routine that it's hard for them to remember in the midst of things. This is where having DH on board is really helpful.
June 21st, 2011, 09:01 AM
Super Mommy
Great birth plan, and great advice from everyone! I may even steal some of the wording...
June 21st, 2011, 09:06 AM
2pinks&ablue's Avatar Chantelle
Sounds great to me!
June 21st, 2011, 09:18 AM
Tippy's Avatar ♥ So Blessed ♥
I had such a great birth plan for my 1st surrogate babe and it was thrown out the window once we got to the hospital and the induction started. Being a surrogacy birth, there was a code word the nurse gave me and if I used it, everyone got kicked out of the room until I spoke privately with the nurse and then everyone came back in. Never did use it.

I will say this.... with my son (#3) I tore. Not only was the pain something horrible, but the level of tear was borderline of needing surgery to repair (and he wasn't a large baby 7'10"). Thankfully, I had a very good and determined OB who took a ton of time (I had a local, since it was a natural birth) repairing the tear. Still a bit bumpy in spots, but thankful I was able to avoid surgery.

I will take an episiotomy over tearing any day. The experience with #3 was an eye-opener for me.

Wife & Mom to 4
Gestational Surrogate to Siblings ~ Sarah 12/04 & Ryan 1/06
Donor Embryo Recipient ~ 10/06 (m/c @ 13w & 2 chemicals)
Tubal Reversal Surgery ~ 11/07
Angels in Heaven ~ 5/07, 11/08, 6/09, 3/10 & 8/10
Failed Adoption ~ 2/09-10/09
Failed attempts w/a Traditional Surrogate ~ 12/09-6/10

♥ Our little miracle has arrived ♥
7/18/11 - 11:15pm - 9lbs. 2 ozs - 22.25 inches long

June 21st, 2011, 09:58 AM
lovebug79's Avatar Veteran
Sounds good! I opted to tear with dd and ended up needing 3 stitches.

Baby Jack Due 7-18-11

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search