Back from my midwife appt *little worried*

Forum: 2011 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2011 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
June 21st, 2011, 09:33 AM
blondie-lox's Avatar Do NOT feed the Troll
I had a midwife appointment this morning. I'm 28 weeks today. I got my results of my 2hr GTT that I did last week and I passed again with flying colours (I did it already at 17 weeks) which I was very pleased about. My blood pressure is amazing as well. I was concerned baby was breech because I experience a lot of cervical kicks, so the midwife tried to feel and couldn't really tell but said she's not worried because I'm only 28 weeks.

I'm having a bit of anxiety about the size of my baby though, I mentioned that I feel really big to my midwife but she said that's probably just because this is my third. Well I'm measuring at 34 weeks, so 6 weeks ahead (I've been consistently measuring large but only 4 weeks ahead) so I'm going for an ultrasound tomorrow at 12:30pm to check on her growth. I'm excited to see her again, and double check to make sure she is still a girl.

I have to have a consult with an OB/GYN because I'm a VBA2C, and my midwife did mention that the size of my baby may concern the OB. That is what makes me worried. I *know* I have big babies (DD was 8lbs9oz and DS was 10lbs12oz) so we've been expecting another large baby, and my midwife never seemed concerned about it. She says she's not concerned, but the OB may be. Sigh. I really hope the OB is okay with it since I'm not a small girl (I'm 5'9'' with hips for days and a large frame, not including my fat lol) so I know I can do this vaginally. I may tear, but that's fine with me, as long as I'm not sectioned I'll be happy. I don't want the OB to immediately tell me I need to be sectioned again just based on her size. I want to TRY to push her out. If during delivery, she gets stuck, I have no problems with them giving me a cesarean, but I just want to try! If they try to push a scheduled cesarean I'm going to say no, because they don't know for sure I can't push her out. I can do this, I just want my care providers to support that and my decision so I'm not met with resistance during labour and delivery.

Huge thanks to *Kiliki* for the FANTABULOUS new siggy!!
June 21st, 2011, 09:51 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Oh hon, you sound just like an echo of me! Mine has not turned yet (and I'm more like 30 weeks). Getting really concerned about that. Measuring ahead as well. Could your dates be off? Someone pointed this out to me: baby fat squishes. I'm also a big girl, 5"9 big hips, sound just like you lol. I know EXACTLY what you mean. I just want to TRY. I have never been in labor and feel like I was gypped big time. Hope your ultrasound goes well.
June 21st, 2011, 09:56 AM
mom2moose
I say when you see the OB, you tell them EXACTLY what you wrote here. That you are fine with tearing, that you just want to try, that if you can't push her out, you won't fight a c-section. The OB may be more willing to let you try, as long as you show them you are realistic, ya know? (I think the problem sometimes could be that some women are so unrealistic that they expect ALL women to be this way!)

Good luck and I hope you get the labor and delivery you want!!!
June 21st, 2011, 10:05 AM
Mega Super Mommy
I agree with Jenny, tell the OB what you told us.
I hope that things are able to turn out the way you want.

Yay on passing the gluecose test. Keep us posted on your ultrasound.
June 21st, 2011, 10:22 AM
JessP's Avatar Lovin life and family
Send a message via MSN to JessP Send a message via Yahoo to JessP
Be honest with them and tell them that you want your chance to try. I hope the appointment goes well and the OB is willing to let you try.

Thanks .:Shortcake:. for my great siggie
http://skinny-jessi.blogspot.com/

June 21st, 2011, 10:23 AM
MommyShan's Avatar Super Mommy
Good luck!! Not to sound ignorant here but does measuring ahead for sure mean bigger baby? I've been wondering this lately because although I've been measuring right on, sometimes my uterus feels so much higher up than other times. Can't measuring bigger just mean that you're carrying higher than usual?

I really hope that your OB takes your thoughts as well as the midwife's thoughts (since she's not concerned) into consideration before making his/her decision. People delivery big babies naturally all the time, so to say you need a section just because of their "estimated" size doesn't seem fair.

June 21st, 2011, 11:19 AM
*KaraBeth*'s Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I agree that you should tell them everything you're feeling and what you want to do. I hope they listen to you and let you give this a shot as long as their isn't any harm to baby.
Very exciting that you get to see your baby girl again!! KUP

June 21st, 2011, 01:44 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by MommyShan View Post
Good luck!! Not to sound ignorant here but does measuring ahead for sure mean bigger baby? I've been wondering this lately because although I've been measuring right on, sometimes my uterus feels so much higher up than other times. Can't measuring bigger just mean that you're carrying higher than usual?

To answer that - it can mean a bunch of things. Fundal height depends on baby's position and the amount of fluid you have as well as how big baby is, so that one factor alone can't determine that you'll have a big baby. That's why measuring ahead isn't always a big deal.

I agree with everybody else Laurel, just tell the OB exactly what you wrote here. Hopefully they are supportive! Plus a LOT can change in the weeks leading up to delivery with respect to baby's size, etc. You're gonna get the delivery you want!

Thanks to Mom2*Lauryn*Jacob* for this beautiful sig!

June 21st, 2011, 01:54 PM
Andrea1122's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Location: California, Thank you military for sending us back home
I think the fact that you have already had your almost 11lb son vaginally will show the OB your body can push out a big baby.. I hope the ob will see that and let you try.

June 21st, 2011, 03:58 PM
Justiah's Avatar Super Mommy
Haha sounds like me I to am worried about having a big baby as I'm measuring 4 weeks ahead also he was head down last ultrasound about a week ago but since then has fliped head up again so I'm praying he decides to turn head down again as I usually have early babies and would hate to have a C section so here's to delivering vaginally! lol

June 21st, 2011, 04:06 PM
Mom2twolittlemen's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to Mom2twolittlemen Send a message via MSN to Mom2twolittlemen
Your one of te first women that I can honestly say is identical to my thought process. I feel like few and far between do I meet people who feel the way "we" feel. Anyways off of my tangent. See the OB, push against the C-section if they mention it YOU ARE NOT REQUIRED TO SCHEDULE A CSECTION EVER! Bradley was breech until week 38/39. I got him to turn naturally. They TRIED to get me to scheule a csection. Had I not, I would have not gotten my vaginal. They wanted him out by week 38.

I know of a lot women that measure ahead andbaby looks "big" on u/s and baby comes out under what they estimate. Just breathe, don't allow this to be a downword spiral for you and think positive. Thats all you can do. You can do this naturally. And don't stress about breech position. Baby can change up until the minute they are born. Bradley is a product of that

Please KUP. I am not impressedwith OB's ever anymore after being with my new midwife practice.

June 21st, 2011, 04:15 PM
bajars2531's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I so admire you! I think you are totally right, you CAN do it, if your midwife didn't think you could, she would tell you. We CAN give birth to big babies vaginally, it's the doctors who tell us we can't and then we feel we need to listen to them. I agree with PP---ultrasounds can be off by up to 3 pounds!! Good for you for standing firm on your decision!

Make a pregnancy ticker

June 21st, 2011, 05:16 PM
MsSilverSpec's Avatar Mama of 2 <3
Make sure to voice what you want to your OB and make it clear to them!

A lot of doctors think that a baby may be too big to push out and thats not the case. I've read stories of women with previous sections cause of a large 10 pounder and ended up delivering vaginally afterwards! No baby is too big, imo.

Glad your standing your ground
June 21st, 2011, 06:06 PM
bittersweet's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I think all your concerns and wishes are very valid, I'd want to try too. But the odds are not looking well for you (not in your ability, but in the Dr's willingness to agree to your VBAC). No matter not big you look or how wide your hips are, there is no telling how large your pelvic opening is. Since you haven't had a baby vaginally, your pelvis hasn't 'proven' itself. I bet if you would have had your 11 pounder vaginally, the Drs would be less worried.

Knowing that you tend to have very large babies, have had 2 c/s already with no vaginal births, and this baby is looking large already....I imagine they would be really uneasy letting you have a vbac. If it was as simple as just letting you try and taking you for c/s if unsuccessful, I don't think they'd have objections. But they are worried about shoulder dystocia. Where the head passes through the vaginal opening but the shoulders get stuck. This is potentially life threatening to baby at worst, but can cause brain damage and nerve damamge/paralysis. If the shoulders do get stuck in this manner, it is too late for a c/s. If this did happen to your baby and there was damage to your baby as a result, the Dr would be liable. Especially if you've never had a vag delivery, had 2 past c/s, and have evidence saying your baby is going to be very large. I don't blame you for wanting to try, but I also wouldn't blame your Dr for not wanting that to be responsible for that risk.

Maybe the u/s will give some more accurate data in your favor. I think the tape measure sizing is a very rough guide.

Last edited by bittersweet; June 21st, 2011 at 06:55 PM.
June 21st, 2011, 06:32 PM
Mum2LGandC's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I agree with the other ladies about voicing your opinion. I hope the OB is at least willing to listen and let you try for your VBAC.

I'm on the smaller side (5'3" 110lbs) and my first baby was 8 lbs 2oz and I was able to have him vaginally. Yes I tore, but he did not get stuck. Obviously he was smaller than both of your babies, but had I not been with the midwives, i'm guessing the OB probably wouldn't have given me the chance.

Good luck with your u/s and appointment.

June 21st, 2011, 11:14 PM
butterflies.in.a.jar's Avatar <3 Team Pink!!! <3
Send a message via MSN to butterflies.in.a.jar
I agree with PP, tell your OB exactly what you said here. I really hope she will at least let you try, and that you get the delivery you want!!!
Team PINK!!!
June 21st, 2011, 11:18 PM
mommyakawifey's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
How large were your other babies at birth? Some women just measure big but their babies are totally in the "normal" weight range. I hope you get some answers tomorrow at your ultrasound and of course enjoy seeing your little princess

Missing my brother everyday- 1985-2011~I love and miss you so much
Essure permanent birth control procedure done 5/24. My family is now complete<3
June 22nd, 2011, 03:56 AM
My baby has not turned yet too. She is in a transverse position. I am on my 29th week already. I can feel the cervical kicks. I hope she will turn. I want a normal delivery.
June 22nd, 2011, 07:43 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Good luck! I hope you get the delivery you want!

I really understand your desire to just try. I have had 3 c/s and this will be another one and I cry sometimes when I hear about someone waking up in the middle of the night with their water broken and going in for their natural delivery. I wish I had that and I just want the experience. It won't happen for me, but I hope you get your wish and, if not, come back and we'll make a list of things that are good about c-sections together to comfort ourselves!

dd Oct 2006, dd Nov 2007, dd June, 2010, and
DS due Sept 6th, 2011 YAY!!

June 22nd, 2011, 12:04 PM
Timberlyn's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to Timberlyn Send a message via MSN to Timberlyn Send a message via Yahoo to Timberlyn
I have faith you'll get to push this little girl out... I too have had HUGE babies (Aedan was 9lbs 1oz & Gage was 8lbs 11oz); but the size of the baby doesn't really matter its their head circumference that is the deciding factor if you can push them out...

Both my boys heads were 14.4 inches & it made for a rather easy delivery with no tearing at all... How big were Lincoln & Pheonix's heads that might be why it was so hard for you...

I mean I am short 5'5", but I do have a rather long line of family history of BIG/HEALTHY Babies were the Mommy's were short, way overdue & looked like they were ready to pop 3-4 months prior to delivery...

Timberlyn loving wife to Tommy (since June 22nd, 2006)
Proud Mommy to Aedan Thomas (June 14th, 2007), Gage Lawrence (August 23rd, 2008) & Callum Michael (September 18th, 2011)
Missing her Angel Judith Aleigh (since September 19th, 2007) & BabyD (since August 26th, 2010)

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search