Summer Recipes!

Forum: 2011 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2011 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
June 21st, 2011, 12:35 PM
Super Mommy
Ok, its hot here and my house is small which means I don't wanna cook very much. What are some things you make often in the summer time?

Make a pregnancy ticker
June 21st, 2011, 12:42 PM
tricia_16_'s Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via MSN to tricia_16_
We bbq a lot outside, but when it is raining and hot we try to make stuff just on the stovetop instead of things IN the oven (which I find is what really heats up the house)!

Tacos (ground beef tacos) are really easy and quick, we will sear pork tenderloin in a frying pan with gravy which is quick, as well as pork chops in teryaki (sp?) sauce, and mashed potatoes boiling away for the side!

Tonight is beef kabobs, potatoes and corn on the bbq! Mmmm!!!
June 21st, 2011, 01:35 PM
mico's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Yes, I would use the grill as much as possible. One of my favorite things to make is grilled romaine! You get a head of romaine, cut it in half length wise, drizzle with EVOO and sprinkle with sea salt and pepper, turn the grill up really high and then put it face down on the grill for just a few seconds until you can see the leaves starting to get a little black on the edges. I make a homemade Italian (which is kind of more like an herbed vinaigrette) for over top. MMMM... sounds so good! Then you can have grilled pineapple for dessert!

Thank you brie_91 for my Siggy!
June 21st, 2011, 01:48 PM
.stargirl.'s Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I agree with grilling. Tacos are good because there's not much cooking involved and they are nice and fresh and yummy. BLTs are good and refreshing too, although I cook my bacon in the oven, so that probably doesn't help much.
June 21st, 2011, 02:31 PM
Mega Super Mommy
MMM...everything sounds so good!!! Well, it is 102 for the TEMPERATURE outside today so I haven't really been grilling either!!! Tonight I am making chicken fajitas and salad......so stovetop definitely!!!

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
June 21st, 2011, 03:54 PM
Super Mommy
Tacos sound yummy! And I've never tried grilled romaine, but it sounds interesting!

We do grill a lot but that's hubby's job I also do egg salad or chicken salad sammies a lot or a big lunchmeat sandwich spread with different toppings and artisan bread.

This is a yummy tuna one I like:

Romaine Rice Tuna Salad Recipe - Allrecipes.com

and here's a good chicken stir fry:

Honey Chicken Stir-Fry Recipe - Allrecipes.com

Make a pregnancy ticker
June 21st, 2011, 04:08 PM
~Angela~'s Avatar Mommy to 3
We grill alot to, marinated chicken, hot dogs, burgers, venison, marinated veggie skewers ...in fact we've even grilled frozen pizzas!
June 21st, 2011, 07:06 PM
Platinum Supermommy
pasta salads and cous cous salads, sometimes a wild rice salad. We do grill often. Our absolute favorite meal for very hot nights is french baguette, 2-3 assorted cheeses, sliced pears and apples, sliced cucumbers, smoked salmon, and bruschetta - or some combination of those.

Later on in the summer, when the veggies are in, I make a ratatouille in the morning, or do a quick saute of tomatoes and basil for pasta.

I do also make tuna and egg salads, or we'll just have cereal for dinner.
June 21st, 2011, 10:08 PM
heatherbelle's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Chicken Cabbage Salad is my favorite summer dish!!

Chop up a cabbage (just green or 1/2 green and 1/2 purple), add shredded chicken breast, chopped green onion and 2 packages of dry ramen noodles broken up.

For the dressing you mix 1/3-1/2 cup of oil, a tablespoon or two of vinegar, a teaspoon-tablespoon of sugar and both packets of chicken seasoning from the ramen noodles and mix up. Sorry, the measurments are a wide range because it depends on your taste. I mix it up to taste everytime. You pour the dressing over, mix it up, refrigerate and eat. Soooo yummy!

We do lots of homemade smoothies too, since Collin is a smoothie freak!

~*thank you Alex Aiden Mommy for my siggy!*~

June 22nd, 2011, 04:38 AM
Super Mommy
We do pasta salads, gazpacho, sushi, fajitas or burritos, hearty chefs salads with eggs and cheese and stuff, cheese fondue, and of course panini sandwiches:

tomato, basil and bocconcini,
roasted red pepper (canned in oil) and blue cheese
brie or swiss, spinach and portabello mushroom

And we have a lot of cold dealcoholized beer on hand, mocktails, even just cranberry and gingerale is so lovely on a hot night!
June 22nd, 2011, 07:41 AM
Mega Super Mommy
I am all about the pasta salads right now... I have my eye on this one for some time next week....

Spicy Pasta Salad with Smoked Gouda, Tomatoes, and Basil | The Pioneer Woman Cooks | Ree Drummond

I think I would add some shredded chicken in, or maybe some salmon?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dee Darling 3 View Post
Our absolute favorite meal for very hot nights is french baguette, 2-3 assorted cheeses, sliced pears and apples, sliced cucumbers, smoked salmon, and bruschetta - or some combination of those.
... Ummmm - yes please!!!!

Thank you Kiliki for my new siggy - I it!!

June 22nd, 2011, 08:21 AM
Super Mommy
Lindsey, that looks soooo good! I love her site!

Make a pregnancy ticker
June 22nd, 2011, 10:41 AM
Rachel's Avatar Just Rachel
Send a message via Yahoo to Rachel
It's really sad, but lately lots of sandwiches and the kids (10 & 12) love making themselves Ramen.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search