Hmmm... Herpes test?

Forum: 2011 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2011 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
June 21st, 2011, 02:02 PM
Veteran
Send a message via Yahoo to TheNewestPhelps
So I had a few tests done at my new doc that apparently my old doc doesn't "believe in" (A papsmear being one of them believe it or not) As I expected, my pap was irregular and they're going to do a biopsy after the baby is born. But anyway, they also did the herpes blood test. Well she told me I tested positive for the antibodies, but negative for type 1 or type 2. So it's either a false positive, or the levels in one or the other aren't high enough to register. They are going to test me again in about a month just to see if one of the levels rise. She told me about another patient who through two whole pregnancies tested positive for the antibodies but negative for either types. Has anyone else had this or heard of this? It's kind of stressing me out... I mean, I know its the hormones alot because DH HAS cheated on my when we very first started dating, and hasn't done anything since. But I'm worried that maybe I'm just oblivious and he may have given me herpes. I know, I know. Far fetched lol. But it's the hormones. How long does it take for either one, type 1 or type 2, to show up?
Thanks for any input.

Thank you Zarziza for my perfect siggy!
June 21st, 2011, 02:10 PM
Cwright's Avatar Super Mommy
Have you ever had a history of cold sores, you or DH? Herpes is a virus so it can hibernate in your system for months-years and you might not have an "outbreak." Have you ever had STD testing before? Did your doc. explain to you that positive antibodies are produced by your immune system?

Thank you Babydoll213 for my Siggy!

June 21st, 2011, 02:34 PM
mom2moose
Well, Herpes 1 is like the cold sores on your mouth type, which 80% of people have. Herpes 2 is usually the genital ones. I have heard of it taking up to 6 months for herpes to appear, but don't know how accurate this is. I would google search it. I wouldn't worry too much about it though, if you're OB isn't.
June 21st, 2011, 03:43 PM
Mom2twolittlemen's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to Mom2twolittlemen Send a message via MSN to Mom2twolittlemen
Well.... a lot of people have both 1 AND 2 and don't even know it. It can be dormant for years than you can have an exacerbation when your immune system is surpressed thus developig antibodies.

Try not to assume your hubby has done something wrong. It IS something you CAN catch years before you ever show signs or symptoms.

June 21st, 2011, 07:09 PM
bayhay's Avatar Veteran
I wouldn't assume the worst. Like others said, almost everyone have been exposed or have the antibodies. You could have had it for 10 years and never known it.

June 22nd, 2011, 08:23 AM
Veteran
I know that I have had cold sores in the past, but not recently. My mother has herpes 2, and did when I was born, though she had a c-section so I don't think I could have cought it from her. I just won't worry about it and hopefully we'll either get better news or a set in stone reason with the next test. Thank you all.

June 22nd, 2011, 08:33 AM
brandaleana's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
IF it does turn out that you do have herpes, there are things the Dr can do for you other than having a c-section. They can give you Valtrex a month or so before you're due date. BUT if you do have an outbreak at the time of delivery, they will do a c-section.

Like previous comments. It's a very common thing, and you can be exposed and be a carrier and not know you even have it. Be sure to voice any concerns to your Dr. They are there to help!!!

Special thanks to Vicki... for my awesome siggy!
June 22nd, 2011, 08:57 AM
Veteran
Well my mom had a c-section because she had placenta previa (sp?), not because of an outbreak. I do believe they are going to give me valtrex anyway because I DO have HPV/warts that are going haywire now that I'm pregnant. So we'll see. Thank you.

June 22nd, 2011, 02:17 PM
Cwright's Avatar Super Mommy
I'm really shocked that your previous doc. didn't do a pap considering your history of HPV. I don't think they prescribe Valtrex for HPV as it is a different virus, Valtrex is used to treat the herpes virus. History of cold sores is associated with the herpes virus as well, so it could be that your body has produced antibodies against an impending outbreak. Cold sores can arise due to stress if you have the virus. With warts, you can get them frozen off. Have you talked to your doc about this option?

Thank you Babydoll213 for my Siggy!

June 22nd, 2011, 02:27 PM
Veteran
She said that there are treatments, but unfortuntely not during pregnancy. They were going away until I got pregnant. She also told me about another patient who had warts that didn't show up at all until she became pregnant and they ended up getting so bad she had to have a c-section, but at her 6 week follow up they were completely gone. Maybe it wasn't valtrex they suggested, but they said that at about 32-34 weeks they will start me on something for the warts. Idk.

About the previous doc, it was a catholic hospital/clinic and we're not sure if that's why they won't do them until you're 21 or what. They DID tell me to push for one after the baby was born since I had a history of HPV, but they wouldn't do one at all until after my 21st b-day. My new doc nearly fell out of the chair when I told her that lol.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search