Simple, Delicious Soup

Forum: 2011 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2011 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
June 24th, 2011, 09:58 PM
Alaska-Su's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I discovered this recipe in a Kikoman soy sauce recipe book. Though the measurements aren't the same, it'll taste just as good. It's so simple and just so delicious that I would gladly have it a few times a week. I just can't get enough of it.

It will make a little more than what you may eat for dinner, but it's good warmed over so save it if you have any left over.

Ingredients

-4 C Chicken Broth (I have the 99% fat free stuff)
-3 Tbsp Soy Sauce
-2 Tbsp Sherry Cooking Wine
-1 Tbsp Lemon Juice (or cut about three 1/4 inch thick slices of lemon and add to your own bowl)
-Green Onions (chopped into 1/4 inch wide pieces)
-Fresh Mushrooms (sliced however big or small you want them)

In a pot pour in the broth, soy sauce, sherry, and lemon juice. Place the mushrooms in with the liquid and let it come to a boil over medium heat. Make sure the mushrooms get cooked most of the way, unless you like them completely cooked a mushy, then let them cook longer. I like them with still a bit of chewiness to them.

Once the soup it hot and just before the mushrooms are cooked to where you want them, add the green onions. Adding them in last for a few minutes will allow their flavor to be pulled out without making them mushy so they give a wonderful crunch (I LOVE green onions!). If you want them mushy, go right ahead and add them in sooner.

After all that's done, the soup is finished and ready to serve and eat. I've only seen Japanese steakhouses serve this soup and the one I had it at dropped in some of those french fried onions instead of green onions. As long as the soup has an onion flavor, you're good. I prefer the subtle flavor of the green onions as well as their crunch as opposed to the sweet or strong flavor of sweet/yellow/vidalia or white onions. Plus, they have to cook longer so they're no so strong.

I don't think the sherry cooking wine really has any alcohol in it, but check it to see if it does. If so, just cook the broth long enough to let it cook off. You'd be amazed at the difference in flavor without the sherry. The soup is good before it, but it just spectacular after you add it in.

I've had miso soup that had a really similar flavor but I don't think there was really any lemon in it and they usually add tiny bits of tofu and skip the mushrooms.

Thanks Tasha_Mae for my siggy!!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search