Questions for Breastfeeding Moms!

Forum: 2011 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2011 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
June 29th, 2011, 11:51 AM
Texas Girl
How many times a day does your baby eat?

How long does each feeding take?

Does he/she feed on both sides?

Do you let you baby feed as long as he/she wants or if you take him/her off after a certain amount of time?

I'm just curious about other babies breastfeeding schedules... Emma is eating less frequently than she did a couple months ago, but I still feel like each feeding takes a really long time! I don't mind, because I love nursing her - but sometimes I want to do stuff and just wish she'd hurry up!!

She is eating 7 times a day is is fairly routine about it. Each feeding takes about 30 -35 minutes. I usually do about 20 minutes on the first side, then switch to finish up.

I think Emma would stay on for two hours if I let her. Usually I have to get stuff done and can't spend 10 hours a day with her hanging out on my boob! So I cut her off around 35 minutes if she hasn't stopped or fallen asleep. She's gaining weight great, so I'm confident she gets all she needs in those 30 minutes. And I still let her go for awhile if nothing is going on and I'm just watching TV or reading.

Last edited by emmasmum; June 29th, 2011 at 12:06 PM.
June 29th, 2011, 12:04 PM
*~~Shannon~~*'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
E eats about every 2.5 hours and usually for about 10 minutes each session. I have what DH calls "high speed" nipples. I can pump 5oz on one side in less than 10 minutes.

I only nurse on one side. With DS1, I tried switching sides because I was "supposed to", but realized he was getting to much foremilk and was really gassy.

I just let him eat until he's done, but in our case, that's not really an issue because it's not like I ever need to cut him off!

June 29th, 2011, 12:48 PM
Mega Super Mommy
De eats many times a day. I don't even know how many. She eats in less than 10 min and I keep her on one side per feeding.

Thank you so much GraysMama, *kiliki*, sugary~snails, AlexAiden Mommy, Typical Vampire, BAM, and claire1979!!!

June 29th, 2011, 02:00 PM
OwensMommy25's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Evan eats every.. 1.5-4 hrs I don't know how long he goes for.. maybe 10-40 mins depending on how long it's been. I have to block feed, so I feed on one side for 2-3 times then the next breast for the next 2-3 times.. Sometimes I pump if I feel full.

Thanks to Pattyandthemoos For the wonderful siggy!

June 29th, 2011, 02:00 PM
Super Mommy
Oh my gosh, Ben just thinks I'm the human pacifier!! He would eat all day long if he could. I think when he's feeding, he eats about 20 minutes and is done but it always seems longer because he nurses for comfort, too. At night, he nurses 3-6 times before bed. During the day, it's about every 2 hours or more.

June 29th, 2011, 02:08 PM
miamor
carlos would stay on the boob all day too if i let him. typically from 7am-6pm he eats every 1.5-2 hours...he spends 10-15mins on each breast normally. he has his moments tho where i just let him stay on longer for comfort. after 6pm for some reason he can go 3 hours between feedings and his longest stretch at night is 6 hours from around 9-3am which i wont complain about. he will be 13 weeks tomorrow. i thought he would go longer between feedings by now, but it's not happening and i'm just going with the flow.
June 29th, 2011, 03:16 PM
spicymustard's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I have no idea how many times a day he eats. I think he still averages between 2 and 3 hours and about 10 minutes each time. Depends on the situation for if he gets both breasts or not. A lot of times we just do one side at a time.

June 29th, 2011, 03:57 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Peter eats about 9-10 times a day for about 10-15 minutes. One side per feeding. He loves to suck, when he is on my right boob he'd suck fir hours if I let him, and on the left, he starts to cry after about 10 minutes and wants his paci.....

June 29th, 2011, 04:25 PM
Danijoy84's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via Yahoo to Danijoy84
Alli feeds about every 2.5-3 hours during the day and for 20 minutes....I have to take her off after that time or she'll overeat, causing her to spit up through her nose (not so pleasant and it scares me). She also only nurses on one side unless she seems fussy and continuously popping off and arching her back.
June 29th, 2011, 07:31 PM
Stacey's Avatar Super Star...mom to 6 ♥
I feel like Katie is attached to me all day long...I am her human paci and Im not happy about it!

Regarding feedings, I would say Katie eats every 2 hours in the day. She gets both breasts but doesnt eat that much out of the second breast when we switch which is why I make sure to start her off on that breast for her next feeding. Shes a quick eater, I would say shes on the breast 10-15 minutes.

When shes ready to nap, she will use me as a paci but almost always gets a little milk out before she falls asleep. I guess this would be her snack time.

June 29th, 2011, 09:40 PM
AnnaGr8's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Quinn nurses about 7 times a day, which isn't a lot but she sleeps about 14 hours at night without waking. She mostly nurses every 2 hours or more during the day. I make her nurse at least 6 times a day. She is a very efficient nurser and is done in 5-10 minutes.
June 30th, 2011, 01:53 AM
Minilegs's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Ewan nurses between 2 and 4 hours, mostly 2 hours and is totally done by 20 minutes.
June 30th, 2011, 08:17 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Victor eats about 6 times during the day and usually once in the middle of the night. He nurses for about 10 minutes total and almost always takes both breasts in a feeding. It takes him 20 - 30 minutes to nurse in the middle of the night.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search