Anyone noticed an increase in....

Forum: 2011 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2011 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
June 29th, 2011, 08:34 PM
Super Mommy
1: Couponing (Probably due to the new show about it)
2: Natural/homebirth (Noticed it's been something getting big with lots of talk about waterbith, hypnobirthing, etc.)
3: Homeschooling (alot of people I know from FB do it)
4: Home businesses involving making things (lots of Moms doing something on Etsy or whatever)

Any other trends you all have noticed? It's just interesting to me as I don't remember these things being as popular even 5 years ago. Or maybe I was just too busy adjusting to marraige and having my first baby to notice!
Pregnant with #3!
"The Lord your God is with you, he is mighty to save. He will take great delight in you, he will quiet you with his love, he will rejoice over you with singing."

June 29th, 2011, 08:43 PM
nyc_mama's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I would love to be more of a couponer, and I am on all of the baby deal sites, freebies etc. But in New York City food costs a fortune and the stores really dont run specials so we do all of our food shopping at Costco. When we finally move out of the city I will totally be a couponer though- just not extreme.

June 29th, 2011, 09:57 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via Yahoo to natty
I would say home birth but where I live the stores don't take coupons and the others I haven't noticed a change

June 30th, 2011, 01:25 AM
Jacobbbsmommy's Avatar Happy but Lost
trend ive noticed is people becoming distributors of the following: scentsy, thirty-one gifts, discovery toys, and itworks wraps; almost every friend i have online has joined one of these companies and is selling one of these products. i almost jumped on board and was going to join scentsy but my husband just found walmart carries VERY similar items as scentsy that smell just as good for less than half the price. so now i dont want to do it anymore. ALSO people selling tutus. i never in my life noticed tutus as being such a trend as they are now! its insane! but as crazy as it is i cant help but want a little girl to put in them lol
June 30th, 2011, 05:41 AM
ashj_1218's Avatar Hiya!
I have noticed a huge increase in home businesses. It seems like everyone I know has an Etsy page selling something. So I am on board with that.

Couponing does seem more "on the map." It has certainly become trendy, instead of just being seen as cheap. Which is a great thing. But I can not say that around here it has increased much in actuality. We don't have a lot of shopping choices, so really the stores rule the roost when it comes to coupons/sales/etc.

I have noticed I am way more aware of natural/home birth. But it is still taboo where I live. Wanting a natural birth makes me a freak. If I were to be able to home birth, I am fairly sure I would be shunned But being on here (JM) has made me more aware that there is a movement to bring it back, which I would have never known otherwise.

One I have noticed is how much the catch phrase 'attachment parenting' has caught on. All of my friends are huge into this 'attachment' thing and are all about reading about it, following the various methods of discipline, etc. I never heard any parenting as being put in a category before (I thought it all fell under the "you do what works for your family" umbrella). So that is one I have seen surge up, at least in conversation.
June 30th, 2011, 06:29 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by chica4chocolate View Post
1: Couponing (Probably due to the new show about it)
2: Natural/homebirth (Noticed it's been something getting big with lots of talk about waterbith, hypnobirthing, etc.)
3: Homeschooling (alot of people I know from FB do it)
4: Home businesses involving making things (lots of Moms doing something on Etsy or whatever)

Any other trends you all have noticed? It's just interesting to me as I don't remember these things being as popular even 5 years ago. Or maybe I was just too busy adjusting to marraige and having my first baby to notice!
No to all of the above except for possibly an increase in couponing since the show came out, but I knew about couponing way before that. My mom used to spend her Sunday mornings couponing when I was growing up.

I don't think there's been any increase in natural/homebirth, and in fact I think there has been a decrease and more elective C-sections. I knew more birth center/home birth mammas back when I was pregnant with my daughter 8 years ago and had my birth center birth with her.

I think home schooling and home businesses have been there just as much all along, you just hear about it more now through Facebook, and it's easier for home businesses through Etsy than it was on Ebay.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashj_1218 View Post

One I have noticed is how much the catch phrase 'attachment parenting' has caught on. All of my friends are huge into this 'attachment' thing and are all about reading about it, following the various methods of discipline, etc. I never heard any parenting as being put in a category before (I thought it all fell under the "you do what works for your family" umbrella). So that is one I have seen surge up, at least in conversation.
Attachment parenting was also huge when my daughter was a baby 8 years ago, at least where I live.

Lucia Jane, born 10.9.11

Forever missing our angel babies
June 30th, 2011, 06:33 AM
mom2njia's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via Yahoo to mom2njia
When I had my first, I used cloth diapers and I might as well have had three heads! My moms club friends thought I was crazy. I am seeing that this is more mainstream as is breast feeding. All fabulous things

my blog
June 30th, 2011, 08:23 AM
east to west coast's Avatar ~Melissa~
Quote:
Originally Posted by ashj_1218 View Post
I have noticed I am way more aware of natural/home birth. But it is still taboo where I live. Wanting a natural birth makes me a freak. If I were to be able to home birth, I am fairly sure I would be shunned
If we would have stayed in PA, there is no way that I would have even considered a home birth. Literally no one I know has had one, and among all of my friends and relatives that live on the e. coast that have kids, only my SIL has had a natural (intervention-free) birth. When we went back to visit family and friends in March and I told some of them that we were planning a home birth, every single one of them looked at me like I had three heads.

On the flipside, I would say that about 50% of the families that I work with where we live in CA have had their babies at home. And, literally 100% of the women who have kids that I know in this area have had a natural birth in a hospital.

So, in my experience, I'd have to say that home birth is more of a geographical phenomenon if anything.

Thank you, MommaDucks, for my lovely siggy
June 30th, 2011, 09:44 AM
Platinum Supermommy
I have noticed that everybody I know gets the Mamapedia/Groupon/etc. e-mails now.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search