Time to push.... do you know how?

Forum: 2011 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2011 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
July 2nd, 2011, 08:10 AM
Mama.Angie's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
For those of you who never took classes, or read anything on labouring, or for those of you who lose that info when time comes... do you know how to PUSH?

When the time comes, will you be ready? Do you have a push plan, or will you just wait and see what your body does?

I admit everything I thought I knew about pushing flew out the window with DD. She was sunny side up, huge, long, and her shoulder was stuck. Back labour is terrible sans painkillers! So when I started pushing WRONG, I was lucky that my midwife at the time stopped me, and pushed her fingers down where I needed to be pushing. She rocked and totally saved my facial blood vessels!

So now I'm trying to again, recall the specifics of pushing. Trying to really force my brain to remember this time around!
July 2nd, 2011, 08:45 AM
tricia_16_'s Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via MSN to tricia_16_
No idea how!! I thought you just... Know when the time comes.
July 2nd, 2011, 08:52 AM
Platinum Supermommy
I had an epi with my first, so I couldn't feel a thing. I was fortunate that I still pushed effectively and she was out in about 30 minutes. My second DD was a natural birth and honestly, I didn't need to know how, my body did all of the work. When I had the urge to push, my body took over and started pushing when needed.

Expecting baby #4 - It's a BOY!

July 2nd, 2011, 08:58 AM
mamamerle's Avatar Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by andi2284 View Post
I didn't need to know how, my body did all of the work. When I had the urge to push, my body took over and started pushing when needed.
Women have been birthing babies for millions of years. Trust your body to do it's job.
July 2nd, 2011, 08:59 AM
Brittanie's Avatar just me
I'll never forget a nurse's words:

"Just like you need to have a bowel movement honey. You need to poop her out."

July 2nd, 2011, 09:01 AM
Platinum Supermommy
I kinda just went with the flow. Pushed in my butt like I was taking a dump (that is what it felt like anyways). Seemed to do the trick.....after 2 hours!
July 2nd, 2011, 09:34 AM
Platinum Supermommy
I didn't take any classes with Kaiya, But I have been pooping since I was born

July 2nd, 2011, 09:37 AM
Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to swozze3 Send a message via Yahoo to swozze3
I've never taken any classes on pushing or anything. Just did what came natually I guess...
July 2nd, 2011, 10:19 AM
DaniB+4's Avatar Super Moderator
I'm just hoping for keen natural instincts aided by competent doula & midwife support if needed .

Thank you, *sharon*, for my siggy!

July 2nd, 2011, 10:30 AM
Happy Mommy
Even with as tired as I was when it was time to push L, it was time to push. but I wasn't really pushing because, well I didn't care. but when I needed her out (HR crashing) she came out. same with C, when it was time to push it was time to push, your body knows what to do
July 2nd, 2011, 11:13 AM
First Timer!!!
yeah my sister said its just like poopin ... so not gonna take any classes figure ill be okay
July 2nd, 2011, 11:15 AM
Mama.Angie's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I think part of the reason I got so panicked and pushed wrong briefly with DD was things got a little crazy with her birth, too many minor complications adding up, Dr's intervening, medical things being tossed around.

I HOPE with this birth, because of the induction, and the chance she will be much smaller, I can just let my body do it's thing without my brain trying to take over!
July 2nd, 2011, 11:50 AM
Mega Super Mommy
With both my girls I never took any classes. I just kind of went with the flow on what my body told me.
July 2nd, 2011, 12:02 PM
Happy Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mama.Angie View Post
I think part of the reason I got so panicked and pushed wrong briefly with DD was things got a little crazy with her birth, too many minor complications adding up, Dr's intervening, medical things being tossed around.

I HOPE with this birth, because of the induction, and the chance she will be much smaller, I can just let my body do it's thing without my brain trying to take over!
That's why I am glad they didn't tell me anything, just get her out and get her out right now.
July 2nd, 2011, 01:37 PM
.stargirl.'s Avatar Mega Super Mommy
With my DD, I had an epidural, but I still felt when I needed to push. I hadn't been checked in a couple hours and all of the sudden, I started feeling a huge pressure and my body was basically pushing by itself with each contraction. By then time I started actually pushing, I just went with what my body was doing and it worked as she was out in under 10 minutes.
July 2nd, 2011, 02:18 PM
HopefulMommy81's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
We're taking classes right now and I love them!

Annalise is hoping to be a big sister on June 28, 2014. Forever missing her big brother, Matthew, stillborn on July 1, 2010.
July 2nd, 2011, 05:34 PM
mom2more's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
With ds I just all of a sudden felt like I needed to push. I tried telling a nurse and she refused to even check me to see how far dialated I was because she was under the impression I would be in labor much longer. As soon as she left the room I sent my ex to find "anyone but a janitor!" LOL. Another nurse came in and checked me and said she could see ds's head and called another nurse in to sit with me while she had my dr. paged. They told me to resist the urge to push. So when my dr got there I pushed for a few minutes and out ds came.....nice and easy! I think that not forcing it and letting my body do things slowly helped because one of my sisters pushed for a really long time. I have thought maybe they started having her push too early?? And maybe because I didn't push till the last minute it helped??

July 2nd, 2011, 05:46 PM
Happy Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by mom2more View Post
With ds I just all of a sudden felt like I needed to push. I tried telling a nurse and she refused to even check me to see how far dialated I was because she was under the impression I would be in labor much longer. As soon as she left the room I sent my ex to find "anyone but a janitor!" LOL. Another nurse came in and checked me and said she could see ds's head and called another nurse in to sit with me while she had my dr. paged. They told me to resist the urge to push. So when my dr got there I pushed for a few minutes and out ds came.....nice and easy! I think that not forcing it and letting my body do things slowly helped because one of my sisters pushed for a really long time. I have thought maybe they started having her push too early?? And maybe because I didn't push till the last minute it helped??
it depends on the situation, I was technically pushing for 2 hours with L, but I wasn't realy pushing, because I was so tired I was like eh little push, and not really giving a hoot about it, I wanted to sleep. the urge was there, but being awak for 24+ hours sleep won out
July 2nd, 2011, 11:13 PM
soImarriedAnerd's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I felt like my vagina was puking! LOL Its wasn't something I was going to stop or anything. However I'm a crappy pusher. I was very none productive at pushing till I pushed against fingers...I needed a focus point, and I was pushing like a bowel movement...which apparently for me was the wrong way! LOL I was also in NO rush and just taking my time till it actually started to hurt right at the very end--then when I felt THAT it motivated me and he was out in a couple minutes. but prior to that I was enjoying labor so I didn't want it to end.
I think alot has to do with position of baby and position of mom also.
July 3rd, 2011, 10:17 AM
babi_lovin11's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via MSN to babi_lovin11
Quote:
Originally Posted by andi2284 View Post
I had an epi with my first, so I couldn't feel a thing. I was fortunate that I still pushed effectively and she was out in about 30 minutes. My second DD was a natural birth and honestly, I didn't need to know how, my body did all of the work. When I had the urge to push, my body took over and started pushing when needed.
Almost exact same experience I had with my two girls. I had a epi with my first DD and although I could still feel everything I would forget to do the most simple things like BREATH! I started to panic and hold my breath, thankfully she was still born within 30 mins.

With my 2nd DD she was born so fast I never had time to even think about what was going on. I can remember my body pushing down (I was in the bathroom going pee) and my DF said hurry up and get off the toilet before the next contraction comes, and I just said "Shes coming" Next thing I know they are rushing me to the bed becasue her head was almost out, there was no DR in the room and my nurse pressed the code red button and this siren went off and a bunch of nurses flew in the room. I was being told NOT to push but I kept saying, I'm NOT shes just comming out LOL

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search