Fetal fibronectin test

Forum: 2011 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2011 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
July 2nd, 2011, 11:53 AM
Mega Super Mommy
With my episode I had on Wed. I had this test done. It was done to test for pre-term labor within the next 2 weeks. It's a relatively new test but they say it has a 99% accuracy rate of being correct. This is one of the main reasons I was discharged from the hospital since mine came back negative.

I believe we've had a couple ladies who had this test done already. I was just curious what ladies thought about this test? Do you think it's accurate?
July 2nd, 2011, 12:00 PM
Happy Mommy
they don't do it at my clinic, and we are a mayo campus, if that came back neg or positive it wouldn't change how they would treat you.
July 2nd, 2011, 12:43 PM
sweetgirl51305's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Well mine came back negative twice and no baby so far! So I'd say theyre pretty good!!!

~*Visit my ETSY shop! http://www.etsy.com/shop/SillyWillyLilli*~
July 2nd, 2011, 01:01 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by w292737 View Post
they don't do it at my clinic, and we are a mayo campus, if that came back neg or positive it wouldn't change how they would treat you.
For my hospital apparently that test was one of the determining factors along with my cervical check on how they treated me. I've just read mixed reviews about it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetgirl51305 View Post
Well mine came back negative twice and no baby so far! So I'd say theyre pretty good!!!
Oh good to know! I kind of hope though I don't have to get anymore of them.
July 2nd, 2011, 01:08 PM
Mama.Angie's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Never even heard of this test to be honest. I'll have to mention it to my OB... not sure if it matters in my case with an induction.....
July 2nd, 2011, 01:37 PM
irishblessing's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I've never heard of it either, but it sounds interesting!

Thank you Vicki for my new siggy!
July 2nd, 2011, 01:38 PM
Platinum Supermommy
How do they preform the test?

July 2nd, 2011, 01:56 PM
Brittanie's Avatar just me
Wikipedia had an interesting thing to say

Quote:
Fetal fibronectin "leaks" into the vagina if a preterm delivery is likely to occur and can be measured in a diagnostic test.[1] It is an excellent biological marker of premature (preterm) delivery (a delivery before 37 weeks of gestation).
When the fFN test is positive, it is an inconclusive result. A positive result can indicate that a woman will go into preterm labor soon, but she may not go into labor for weeks. When the fFN test is negative, the result is a better predictor. A negative result means that there is little possibility of preterm labour within the next 7 to 10 days, and the test can be repeated weekly for women who remain at high risk. A negative fetal fibronectin test gives a more than 95% likelihood of remaining undelivered for the next 2 weeks.[2] A systematic review of the medical literature found that fetal fibronectin is a good predictor of spontaneous preterm birth before cervical dilation.[3] The test may be run on patients between 22 and 35 weeks gestation.
The test is easily performed and is usually painless. A specimen is collected from the patient using a vaginal swab. The swab is placed in a transport tube and sent to a laboratory for testing. Most labs can easily produce a result in less than one hour.
A false positive fetal fibronectin result can occur if the test is performed after digital examination of the cervix or after having had intercourse. It is important that the swab be taken before a digital vaginal exam is performed.

I've never had it done, but I've never been at risk for pre term labor either.

July 2nd, 2011, 04:35 PM
Veteran
It's actually not anywhere near that reliable. I had 3 positive results in my first pregnancy over a 10 week period. They stopped doing them on me after that. With the next pregnancies the peri said thru wouldn't do them bc of low accuracy. I think it is more accurate for negative results than positive.
I'm glad yours was negative.
July 2nd, 2011, 04:45 PM
Platinum Supermommy
I have had it in both of my pregnancies, and it was very accurate when it was a negative result. I had it done at 30 weeks with this pregnancy and it was negative. I also had it done at 26 weeks and it was neg. Still no babies.

I had it done with my DD SO Much, and it was always right.

I trust it. There is room for error with most things, but I do trust it as much as I can trust a medical test.

ETA: Positive tests aren't accurate at all. Only the negative test is what they say is accurate
July 2nd, 2011, 05:44 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to momopotamus Send a message via MSN to momopotamus
I just had my most recent one Friday, its just a swab, like they do when you get a pap. And like the others said, a negative result is much more reliable. Positive means theres a small percentage of labor within 2 weeks I guess.

TTC #4 since 9/2013 150mg Clomid BFP 5/22/14! Stick Bean Stick!
We have a heartbeat :-) EDD 1/30/15! It's A Girl!

July 2nd, 2011, 11:08 PM
soImarriedAnerd's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Yeah its really just negative or bust But I think the negative is VERY accurate! (nope didn't have it done just chiming in! LOL)
July 3rd, 2011, 12:24 AM
Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to swozze3 Send a message via Yahoo to swozze3
I think it's pretty accurate. I had one done like 2 weeks ago when i had a uti and no baby yet
July 3rd, 2011, 01:28 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by MommaSunshine View Post
I just had my most recent one Friday, its just a swab, like they do when you get a pap. And like the others said, a negative result is much more reliable. Positive means theres a small percentage of labor within 2 weeks I guess.
Yep this is how it's done. I think though it hurts a bit more than a pap smear. I was super uncomfortable when they were doing it.
July 4th, 2011, 08:34 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdt View Post
Yep this is how it's done. I think though it hurts a bit more than a pap smear. I was super uncomfortable when they were doing it.
I think that's because your cervix is more sensitive during pregnancy.

I had it done with DS when I was in PTL. It was positive - he was born just about 2.5 weeks later, but probably would have been sooner had they not treated me for the PTL.

I've had it done twice this pregnancy and both times it's been negative. I'm hoping it stays accurate.
July 5th, 2011, 12:59 AM
Rachel's Avatar Just Rachel
Send a message via Yahoo to Rachel
I've heard of it, but have never had one.
July 5th, 2011, 02:42 AM
mafiamom's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
heard about it, but never had one.

i think it sounds like a great diagnostic tool for those very early on who may need intervention.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search