Interesting pitocin discussion today.....

Forum: 2011 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2011 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
July 2nd, 2011, 10:12 PM
mom2more's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I was at a get together today and met some moms who had 5+ kids. We started talking about labor/delivery and I said I was induced with ds. One of the moms said she was induced with 2 of hers. One of them she said they did the pitocin drip pretty quickly and her contractions were horrible. So with her next induction she had talked to her dr about not doing such a quick drip on the pitocin. I think she said last time the drip was set around 6 and her and her dr agreed to try it at a 3. She said it made a huge difference in her pain and comfort level. The other mom brought up a point I had not thought about. She said that maybe that is why some people have such trouble with inductions because the quicker drip causes your body to have such hard and frequent contractions your body can't keep up! I wonder if there is truth in that. What do you all think?

July 2nd, 2011, 10:25 PM
Rachel's Avatar Just Rachel
Send a message via Yahoo to Rachel
Yeah, definitely some truth to that.
July 3rd, 2011, 04:42 AM
Happy Mommy
I'm not sure, I only ever concent to pitocin after delivery to get my bleeding under control.
July 3rd, 2011, 05:24 AM
Super Mommy
It would make sense that the more pitocin you get, the stronger the effect. They are supposed to start you off with the lightest dose and gradually increase if it doesn't do anything - but I suspect that, in an effort to push as many mommas and babies through the system as possible coupled with nurses and doctors who gradually lose perspective or have inadequate training, this approach is often compromised.

If I need induction, I will be using the prostoglandin gel well before I consider IV hormone drugs.
July 3rd, 2011, 05:53 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Everything that I have read that is absolutely the case. If you go into labor naturally your body knows how much hormone it is going to take and gradually increases that amount to result in the delivery of the baby. If you are using synthetic hormones you are making a best guess at what your body needs and the schedule that it needs it. If you start high your body is going to over react with harder faster contractions that are not natural to your body. But many times the hospital wants you to deliver on a time frame and is trying to get it done. There is also some research that says when your body is forced into harder/faster than normal contracts it can cause fetal distress because the baby is being squeezed too hard and your uterus is a muscle and will build lactic acid and not contract effectively due to fatigue.
July 3rd, 2011, 09:11 AM
Platinum Supermommy

I think it also depends on every woman's body. My sister didn't even have pitocin for her labor, she just had the gel, and it made her hyper-contract, so even that little bit was too much for her body.
July 3rd, 2011, 09:59 AM
DaniB+3's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Yes, it's very true that pit can cause hyperstimulation of the uterus. That definitely happened in my case. In the event that I go to 42 weeks and have to be induced I'll be opting for gels or other, less invasive methods before going anywhere near pit again. It did not treat me well.

Thank you, *sharon*, for my siggy!

July 3rd, 2011, 10:06 AM
Mama.Angie's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Very good to know! I will be sure to discuss this with my OB this coming Friday!
July 3rd, 2011, 02:35 PM
Brittanie's Avatar just me
My body has always responded really well to the pitocin, but I think they have only started at 2? ((I suck at numerical memory though, so I could be wrong about that.))

With Patrick we even did pit for a couple hours and then stopped when I was having regular contractions to see if my body could take over...which it sort of did for a while. lol He was posterior though, so I want to try that again if Allison is facing the right direction to see if it actually works.

July 5th, 2011, 02:04 AM
mafiamom's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
dont know, but i hate pit and hope to avoid it at all costs.
July 5th, 2011, 02:36 AM
Super Mommy
I think I read somewhere that receiving the pitocin canl actually interfere with your natural hormone production, making it an all-or-nothing deal.
July 5th, 2011, 04:37 AM
Veteran
I will try to avoid it all costs.

July 5th, 2011, 06:16 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to way2gomom Send a message via Yahoo to way2gomom Send a message via Skype™ to way2gomom
Yep, a gradual start is always better because some women's bodies will react more strongly to even a small amount and starting labor is not like kick-starting a motorcycle - harder does NOT mean better.

blog: justjoanna.com | twitter: way2gomom | facebook | pinterest: way2gomom
July 5th, 2011, 06:18 AM
tricia_16_'s Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via MSN to tricia_16_
I don't know anybody personally, but from all the baby shows I watch - pitocin obviously speeds things up but it also seems to make the contractions a hundred times worse!

I have actually said to my husband that I don't think I want that unless it is a last resort. I would rather try the foley ball and anything else first.
July 5th, 2011, 06:38 AM
Brittanie's Avatar just me
Quote:
Originally Posted by tricia_16_ View Post
I don't know anybody personally, but from all the baby shows I watch - pitocin obviously speeds things up but it also seems to make the contractions a hundred times worse!

I have actually said to my husband that I don't think I want that unless it is a last resort. I would rather try the foley ball and anything else first.
I had the foley with Erin's labor. I was not dilated and hardly effaced at all. The foley only really works if you're not yet dilated to 2cm. So if you're already 2cm, it wouldn't do anything (because, at least the ones they used, only inflate to 2cm). It's quite possible to already be dilated like that and not yet in labor so it's not always an option for starting labor.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search