Disposable Diapers

Forum: 2011 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2011 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
July 6th, 2011, 06:15 PM
Hello we are going to register for diapers in different sizes. Has anyone tried Pampers Swaddlers Sensitive Diapers? I heard they are a good choice.

Babies R Us sells value packs. Newborn 96 count, Size 1 192 count, Size 2 168 count, Size 3 156 count and Size 4 136 count.

Also I know it is impossible to know ahead of time how many the baby will go through... but does anyone have an idea of about how many boxes of each size I should register for.

Thanks for any help!
July 6th, 2011, 06:30 PM
Olivia&DelilahsMommy's Avatar Married to my soulmate :)
Newborn diapers you typically only need one package, they don't stay in them long at all. My daughter was 8lbs 4oz, and she was in them for maybe a week?
As for the others, it's hard to say...the weight limits you don't really go by either because they just fit babies different. We were in 3s for a LONG time here. 1s and 2s I'd say about 2 boxes of each, you can always get more.

Thanks to Jaidynsmum for my siggy!!
July 6th, 2011, 08:02 PM
missy123's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
If you have the opportunity to buy some at Walmart they have a great exchange policy where you can trade up a size if he/she grows out of them.

Pregnancy Loss April 2009, September 2010
CP 10/2008, 1/3/11 {missing my babies every single day}Mommy to 4 Children - 3 boys ages 22, 21 and 18 & baby Scarlett
After 2.5 years TTC with 4 losses our Family was given the gift of Miss Scarlett
Do not ever give up hope...

Miss Scarlett... Our miracle girl still brings happy tears to my eyes.

July 6th, 2011, 08:26 PM
Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to Lilysmama
My DD was 7lbs 5oz at birth and wore newborn size for probably about 5 weeks. I'd say we went through a pack a week. She was also in size 3 for a loooong time, and then size 4 for the longest, until she potty trained. I would try to just get them somewhere you can exchange them though. I got tons of diapers at my baby shower though, and I never had to exchange any. I used them all and then some.

July 6th, 2011, 09:22 PM
promises1's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
You go through them faster the younger the baby. Newborn: a pack a week is probably pretty close cause you are changing so often. I used 1 and 2 for a while. By size 3 my DD was potty training. I had a stock pile from my shower and used all mine without having to exchange sizes.

July 6th, 2011, 10:06 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Jackson was 8 lbs 4oz and wore newborn diapers for close to 2 months. Boston wore nb for over a month. It all depends on baby! I'd register for fewer of the smaller sizes and more of the bigger...

July 6th, 2011, 10:08 PM
Oh good thanks ladies.

Yeah it is hard to figure out how many boxes of the value packs to register for... and maybe some people will gift me diapers that aren't from the registry.

We just don't need to register for the normal "baby equipment" since I am getting a lot of the bigger things as hand me downs. So I am trying to think "practical" so I figure register for those diapers.

I have a feeling Babies R Us won't just let you change the sizes whenever... but who knows?

Quick question- when you say a pack a week, you mean the value packs (like I have listed in my original post)? Or the regular size around 40-50 diapers?
July 7th, 2011, 04:03 AM
Kittynoah's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I didn't register for any diapers - so I am not much help! But beleive me, people still bought lots of diapers (and clothes) that I had not registered for.

I think DS used one pack of newborn (the normal pack - not value pack). Then probably a couple weeks of size 1 (3 packs or so). I then started buying the huge boxes at Costco or Sams (200 in a box). We did a box of Pampers size 1/2 (don't know if they still have that size - it is in between a 1 and a 2) and then switched to Huggies size 2. I think I only used one box of size 2 and then he was in 3's for a long time and is now in 4's. He has been in size 4's for months! I moved him into a bigger size probably before he needed too because I didn't want to get half way through a box and realize they were too small and then have half a box wasted. We have pretty much used Huggies since he switched to size 2's since that is what they sell at Costco. You can get a large box (200) for 40 bucks and they often run a 5 or 6 dollar off coupon.

I would ask BRU if they will let you exchange the diapers for a different size. That would be ideal!

July 7th, 2011, 09:02 AM
Ok thank you!
July 7th, 2011, 11:20 AM
Veteran
We have always used the Pampers newborn. Our oldest was 8lb 2oz so we used them for about 1 week, and our youngest was 7lb 2oz so with him we used them for about 1 month.

Diapers have changed over the last 13 years-companies have either improved them or in some cases become cheaper in their quality. With our youngest, we found the Target brand diapers were the best, and not just because of price. The only challenge is Target is difficult to exchange them without a receipt.

We only registered for size 1 and 2 diapers as we have never needed size 3 because all my children were potty trained by 2 and stayed really small. Xander is 3 and still wears size 12 months in shorts-no butt.
July 7th, 2011, 01:41 PM
Oh wow that is great they were potty trained by 2! Thanks for the info.
July 7th, 2011, 02:07 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via Yahoo to countryjewelsc
The pampers swaddlers were the only thing we used until he outgrew them. Most hospitals use them as well.

Do you plan on breastfeeding or formula feeding? I'm not sure if the number of diapers per day is the same with both or not, but when DS was newborn (breastfed exclusively) he needed to be changed after every time he nursed, at first that was 12-15 times a day for the first week or so, then 10-12 times a day for the next few weeks.

www.facebook.com/babylovecustoms, specializing in custom embroidery for children.

Make a pregnancy ticker
July 11th, 2011, 06:48 AM
Karen P.'s Avatar Veteran
Thanks for asking this! I was wondering the same thing. This is our 1st child so I have NO clue what to get. My best friend is a Labor and Delivery nurse and has given me a bag full of newborn size she had left over from her last baby. I have one box (276 diapers) of Pampers I got off Amazon for 29.99. I think that should be enough of the size 1 - so I am just going to register for size 2 and 3.

I don't know.. maybe I need to get one more reg size box of newborn?

http://www.Facebook.com/KarenPickardFitness
July 11th, 2011, 07:29 AM
Mom to minions's Avatar Super Mommy
Yeah, I am jealous about the potty training. I have a 4 year old and a 3 year old who are working on it and not doing the best. *sighs* But we have some really great days. And #3 wants to at least sit on the potty (by choice).

Anyway, I will not count #1 cause he was a preemie. But #2 and 3 were both 8lbs 3oz at birth and they stayed in newborns for about 2 months. They went through about 12 a day for I can't remember how long. Newborns pee and poo a lot. I did breast feed. So IDK if that makes a difference over formula.

Although I preferred Huggies. I did use Pampers though because I was given some. FOR MY MINIONS the leg area never fit very well with the pampers and there was a higher rick of blow outs. Also a higher risk of it going up the back. But every child is different. Kinda like how every child grows different. Also I felt they were softer. They have a cut out for the belly too so you don't need to fold over like with Pampers. That is just

Just to give you an example.... my 4 year old still fits into size 4's easily. (I use them in an emergency). My almost 3 year old wears 4's (mostly pull ups though now days). and my 22 month old wears 3's still but I put him in 4's since he is boarder line between the 2 sizes. NOW, we know a 24 month old who wears size 5's and she was born at about 6 1/2 lbs.
Pork (Laurence) 9/09 ~ 8lbs 3oz @ 36 1/2 weeks
2 angels in heaven 10/06 and 01/11
July 11th, 2011, 08:13 AM
katiep726's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I have no idea on how fast you go through diapers since I'm a first timer as we! But we just registered at BRU last Friday and the guy told us that as long as the boxes aren't open we could exchange the sizes. I would think it would be true for all locations. Hope he was right!

Thank you Vicki... For the adorable siggy!
July 11th, 2011, 12:38 PM
Thanks everyone for the info and opinions!
July 11th, 2011, 12:48 PM
..Jessica..'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
My niece was 8lbs 12oz when she was born and wore newborns for 2 days. She literally burst out of them, not a poop burst, but her legs She's now in size 1's.

I won't be registering for them, but I will be getting them from Wal-Mart since they offer that exchange. I'd rather get a bunch of gift cards to buy diapers with than the diapers themselves.

I agree with the 2 box thing for sizes 1 and 2.

July 11th, 2011, 06:05 PM
Lynley's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I don't know about the diapers themselves, but from an exchange perspective, it may vary from store to store. My friends tell me that our Babies R Us won't take anything back without a receipt - even their own in-store brand. However, our Target is great about exchanging things, especially diapers - my cousin used one diaper from a huge pack and it didn't fit at all, and Target let her exchange the entire box for the proper size. So you may want to ask your local stores, and I would definitely give shower attendees a "friendly reminder" about gift receipts. Also, I know that Target has a gift purchase log, so if you register for diapers there, if they were purchased from your registry, you shouldn't need a receipt.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search