Had a midwife appt this morning

Forum: 2011 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2011 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
July 19th, 2011, 09:29 AM
blondie-lox's Avatar Do NOT feed the Troll
It went really well. I went over some of my birth preferences with my midwife. I do NOT want an IV unless I have to and I said I would agree to a saline lock instead. She told me I don't even need a saline lock if I don't need an IV (only reason I'd need it if I ended up being GBS+ or an epidural). I asked about eating during labour and the hospital doesn't let you but she said they won't stop me if I bring my own food! WOO! I was told I can have intermittent electronic fetal monitoring (20mins on monitors, 40 mins off) which is WONDERFUL!! We discussed what signs to watch for in case of a uterine rupture, and I feel confident that won't happen but if it does, I'm not worried about it. I was told an OB/GYN has to be in the building the entire time I'm admitted until baby is born, so they can get a crash C Section in under 10minutes (window is something like 15mins).

I'm measuring large 40weeks and I'm only 32 weeks but my midwife isn't worried, she said its probably a combination of baby's size, fluid level, baby's position and that my uterus is super stretch due to my son being so huge. Baby girl is also head DOWN finally and is also in the best position for birth (left occiput anterior). I'm SO excited, everything is looking wonderful for my VBA2C!!

Heart rate is perfect, my blood pressure is perfect, urine is perfect and I'm so excited that everything is going so well!

Huge thanks to *Kiliki* for the FANTABULOUS new siggy!!
July 19th, 2011, 09:34 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Yay!!! Glad everything went well, and that things are looking fantastic for your VBAC!

Thanks to Mom2*Lauryn*Jacob* for this beautiful sig!

July 19th, 2011, 09:55 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Hey I am just curious...your siggy says you are due 9-20, but how come you are 32 weeks? I'm due 9-21, and about to be 31 weeks...just wondered!

July 19th, 2011, 10:00 AM
Yep, originally I calculated being due Sept 20th, but my midwife says I'm due the 13th (a week earlier). I had been going by the 20th until I was told they won't change my due date no matter what, so now I go by the 13th. My baby is measuring on target with the 13th as the due date (from ultrasounds) I just haven't got a new siggy because I love this one.

July 19th, 2011, 10:02 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Awesome, totally answers my question...thanks!!

(and it is an adorable siggy)

July 19th, 2011, 10:57 AM
EricaLee's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Sounds like a great appt! Congrats on all the good news!

Big time thanks to jmmysterymaker for my WONDERFUL siggie!

July 19th, 2011, 10:58 AM
Mom2twolittlemen's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to Mom2twolittlemen Send a message via MSN to Mom2twolittlemen
Wow! Great news all around Laurel!!!

Your requests are exactly what I want

As far baby head down, dont panic if baby moves, there is still plenty time and plenty room..... coming from experience don't panic . I just have this wonderful feeling you will get your natural VBA2C !!!

July 19th, 2011, 12:03 PM
Mega Super Mommy
So glad to hear that everything went well!!
Baby's head down, thats great! I hope that you are able to get your VBAC!!
July 19th, 2011, 12:36 PM
wwwmom2011's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
yea for great appt....

hope all continues to go well for you....

July 19th, 2011, 02:35 PM
brandaleana's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
YAY!! for an awesome appointment!!!

Special thanks to Vicki... for my awesome siggy!
July 19th, 2011, 03:48 PM
MsSilverSpec's Avatar Mama of 2 <3
Glad everything went well and that all looks good when the time comes!! Yay!!!
July 19th, 2011, 04:18 PM
Mega Super Mommy
So glad things are going well. Just curious, wouldn't you want a hep lock in case of crash c-section and continuous monitoring in case of rupture? I'm required to be monitored continuously but I'm ok with it cause it could show impending rupture.
July 19th, 2011, 04:43 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by majicmaid View Post
So glad things are going well. Just curious, wouldn't you want a hep lock in case of crash c-section and continuous monitoring in case of rupture? I'm required to be monitored continuously but I'm ok with it cause it could show impending rupture.
My midwife and I discussed the continuous monitoring and she doesn't feel it's necessary. She said as long as I don't have any pain relief (I'm going for 100% natural so that's not a problem) the first sign of rupture is pain at the incision site. She said if I feel even the slightest pain there I'll be put on the monitors immediately. Bleeding is another symptom of rupture so as long as we watch for the signs we should be okay. That being said, the risk of rupture is so slim (no more so than a FTM who has labour augmentation) and the risk of the rupture being catastrophic is even less. To me, having constant EFM would hinder my ability to move around and be comfortable which could slow labour, which could lead to interventions and another cesarean.

As for the hep lock, she said if the hospital staff feel better with me having one (and I'm okay with it) I'll get one but she said it's not necessary. In a crash cesarean they use general anesthesia and could put the IV in while they're knocking me out or shortly after. I'm not really worried about it to be honest, I have very positive feelings towards this birth.

July 19th, 2011, 04:48 PM
Papasgirl's Avatar Down Syndrome Pregnancy
Sounds awesome! Your birth requests are almost identical to mine...I hate that IV and I have always been told I had to have one and I was only GBS+ 2x out of 5. I won't even have a saline lock if not required because honestly to me it is the worst part of the whole thing. I also don't want the monitors on me all the time because I can't walk around that way....and my main rule...NO MEN EXCEPT DH ARE ALLOWED IN THE ROOM AT ALL!

Baby Girl Anastasia is my Rainbow!! Diagnosed with T21...
We will journey together
July 19th, 2011, 04:48 PM
Mom2twolittlemen's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to Mom2twolittlemen Send a message via MSN to Mom2twolittlemen
Quote:
Originally Posted by blondie-lox View Post
My midwife and I discussed the continuous monitoring and she doesn't feel it's necessary. She said as long as I don't have any pain relief (I'm going for 100% natural so that's not a problem) the first sign of rupture is pain at the incision site. She said if I feel even the slightest pain there I'll be put on the monitors immediately. Bleeding is another symptom of rupture so as long as we watch for the signs we should be okay. That being said, the risk of rupture is so slim (no more so than a FTM who has labour augmentation) and the risk of the rupture being catastrophic is even less. To me, having constant EFM would hinder my ability to move around and be comfortable which could slow labour, which could lead to interventions and another cesarean.

As for the hep lock, she said if the hospital staff feel better with me having one (and I'm okay with it) I'll get one but she said it's not necessary. In a crash cesarean they use general anesthesia and could put the IV in while they're knocking me out or shortly after. I'm not really worried about it to be honest, I have very positive feelings towards this birth.
I think its GREAT and am totally on bored with your wants during labor. It all makes sooo much sense!

July 19th, 2011, 05:15 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Sounds like you're on top of things. I'm hoping for a mobile monitor so I can move around. I need to ask if the hospital has them.
July 19th, 2011, 05:23 PM
Veteran
I'm also hoping for intermittent monitoring. I am not sure if my hospital will allow me to eat at all during labor though When contractions start on the "big day" I am hopefully going to eat something with tons of protein to keep me full.
My wonderful baby boy was born at 10:32 p.m. on September 2nd 2011
July 19th, 2011, 08:17 PM
Andrea1122's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Location: California, Thank you military for sending us back home
Sounds like your birth plan is getting to be more real and attainable, so happy for you!!!!!

July 19th, 2011, 10:20 PM
Brennaluet's Avatar Super Mommy
Sounds like a great appointment! I'm so glad they are willing to work with you on all of the things you really want!

July 20th, 2011, 07:01 AM
Ashley-Michelle's Avatar Veteran
I'm glad your appointment went well! It sounds like things are going great. Woohoo!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search